+ Taylor (husband) had a birthday on Saturday. I told him I will forever take pleasure in the fact he will always be older than me. Makes me want to sing "Forever Young" for some reason... I gave him Napolean Dynamite on DVD, Flanimals by Ricky Gervais, and adorable
framed pictures of the kids for his office. - Rainbow Shell (beloved hermit crab pet of exactly 18 months-to-the-day) died tragically on hubby's birthday of what can only be assumed was "natural causes". Pinky shell is still alive...as far as we can tell. No tears (surprise!) from Waverly, and poor Rainbow Shell was uncerimoniously "buried" in the kitchen garbage can. (What...were we supposed to flush it/her??)
- Oscar had a stomach flu. Both ends.
+ No one else in the family got it. *knock on wood*
+ Took the kids to a "Superhero Store" that advertised on the radio as being the "biggest selection of all-things-superhero in the Northwest"
- Who knew that Wonder Woman had devolved to something akin to soft p*rn? BIG disappointment for all involved. And what wasn't inappropriate for our young superhero fans cost at least $18! We had to carry the stroller up 3 flights of stairs inside an apartment-type building to get to this "store" which was really only a 12' x 15' room with a cash register in one corner. We'll do our research better before the next family adventure.
+ They finally called a permanent teacher for the "Gospel Doctrine for Parents of Loud Kids <18 Months Old Class" in our ward.
- Oscar turns 18 months on Thursday. And hubby was called to serve in the nursery. Doh!! I think I'll still go by myself anyway. What are they gonna do...kick me out?
+ We cruised 23rd Street in Portland with the stroller and kids. LOVE that place. It's right up there with Harwin in Houston, but not nearly as inexpensive.
- Had an unavoidable run-in with a terribly untalented street performer. He was the type wearing Mickey Mouse ears and handing out instruments (horns and bells and what-not) to get the kids involved. He was standing on the corner just a few paces from our toy store destination AND we had all 3 kids in tow ... we were walking targets for this painful experience. One awkward, out-of-tune rendition of "Spoonful of Sugar" on his trumpet, a few toots of a horn for the kids and, a dollar bill later...we were outta there. Bless his heart...I just wish his talent matched his enthusiasm!
6 comments:
I wonder what you would have gotten for $5? Great placement on his part, right outside the toy store.
Handing out instruments in public? Like kazoos and tooty things? This "street performer" must not be a parent...I'm imagining the germs being passed around and around...but then again, I'm not a parent either, just a germ-o-phobe.
And Jake got a Spider Man book for Christmas or something, and Amy had to take a magic marker to some of the superhero "uniforms"... since when did n*pples become standard defense mechanisms?
I'm sorry we missed connecting with you on Taylor's b'day but it sounds like you were out having a blast! Sorry about Rainbow Shell--she was a fine little crab! Did we go to 23rd Street last time we were there--was it that fun street where we ate lunch? That was so fun! we can't wait to come back in May!
Saije,
We didn't "pay up" until after the performance, but trust me... he was doing the best he could, poor guy.
Carrie Ann,
The instruments were little hand horns with the rubber bulb on one end. If saliva germs had been involved I would have been a little less charitable to the poor clown. We sanitized with Purell afterward regardless. Whew.
Mo,
We did go to 23rd Street last time you came, but next time let's go back without the kids. There is some fine shopping to be had - tons of unique little shops and fun places to eat, like Rose's Deli. Remember those chocolate creme puff things? MMMmmmm!
The shopping sounds fun. The cream puff really sounds divine but check out my latest blog.....aaauuuughh
Hilarious weekend! Poor Oscar...and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TAYLOR! Napolean Dynamite gets more funny every time I watch it. The first time I saw it I was a little stunned at the end. Felt more sorry for the guy than amused. I also get that "pathetic story" feeling every time I see a street performer. I have to avoid them because I think it is so awkward.
Post a Comment