Friday, April 15, 2005

Instant Messaging Blunder

It was 7:15 and we were supposed to leave for the surprise birthday party by 7:45. Had I showered? No. Was I sitting at the computer reading blogs while my husband wrestled the three children solo while making them dinner? Yes.

Suddenly the page loads starting taking an absurd amount of time to load. "I don't have time for this!" I yelled in my head. (No, really...I didn't have time...I should have been in the shower.)

And then the perpetrator was made known: "Taylor has just signed in" appeared at the bottom-right corner of the screen. No wonder the kids are all screaming downstairs. He just logged onto his laptop while making dinner (He's a terrific, if not impulsive multi-tasker).

My animal instincts took over. I IM'd him "My internet connection just became VERY slow. Thanks a lot." He responded with, "I'm leaving at 7:45 with or without you."

The playful banter continued (he even typed "LOL" at one point - which I immediately pointed out was a lie because I could not hear any laughter coming from the kitchen) until it was 7:40, at which point I decided this was something I must share on my blog.

I think he really is leaving without me. I hope he at least thinks to pick up the babysitter first... I'll have to IM him to remind him.

6 comments:

Lisa M. said...

Okay, so I have a confession. I met, my husband instant messaging. *chuckle* Seriously. And still today, it is one of my favorite forms of communication. That and text messaging. *rolling my eyes at myself* At one point in our relationship... I swear, I thought it text rather than real thoughts. It was bizare, and funny, and I smile with contentment when I reflect on those times.

Great entry. Thanks for the smile.

mo said...

I think this explains why homes no longer have intercoms...think about it. When Abby and James are over it is not unusual for James to phone me in the kitchen from the family room on his cell phone. At least we're communicating. It's better than shouting.

Carrie Ann said...

"Yeeeeees, I love technology....."

Melissa said...

That's funny. One thing I like to do is to email people while I'm IMing them, instead of just telling them something over IM. But I"m probably the only one who thinks that's funny.

Alicia said...

Nope, Marcy. I think that's funny too.

Carly said...

Hahaha. Oh, I mean LOL. I wish I could meet Taylor. I think he would get along well with Mike.