Taylor has started telling bedtime stories to our 4-year-old about a little boy named "Nothing" who lives in "Nothing Land". It was originally the child's idea... a quirky mix of The Adventures of Candyman in Candy Land (a Taylor original which deserves its very own post at some future date) and Henry's (said 4-year-old) propensity for answering any question we ask him with an emphatic: "NOTHING!"
Which brings me to my point. I have nothing to write. My blog's posts have been few and far between lately. The fact that my daughter stole my computer chair to set up her very own "arts and crafts center" in the tv room for her summertime enjoyment doesn't help this fact. It is rather uncomfortable to type while kneeling. My legs keep falling asleep. So I'll make this post about "nothing" brief. I just thought I should let you faithful readers know I'm still here and desiring to communicate. You are still there...aren't you?
I've given my blogspot address to several extended family members and I continue to wonder if they've made their way to this site. Don't be shy. You can even make an "anonymous" comment if you like. I guess part of my writers block stems from the fact that I'm not sure who is in my audience. Grandpa Green? Grandpa Harrison? Are you here? Sara V., do you still read? Jen? Just wondering.
It is 3 AM. Taylor is sleeping the night at a homeless shelter (actually called "The Good Neighbor House" for women and children transitioning out of bad home situations). The men in our ward take turns with this duty. Being alone all night in our house is odd and unsettling. How do single mothers do this? I've watched several recorded episodes of Oprah and am wondering which of my "extraordinary" life circumstances would warrent my being a guest on her show... hopefully not the dysfunctional mother/daughter show... not for a good 10 years or so anyway. If only I were a beautiful, charasmatic actress like Nicole Kidman! I swear...Oprah does things to your mind...unhealthy things, and other things...like make you think you actually WANT to read 3 books by Faulkner this summer. Oh, my point was that the phone in my bedroom here just rang ever so briefly...like someone called, changed their mind and hung up very quickly. At 3 in the morning? I'm just a wee bit freaked out, but going to try to go lay down with the lights on and hope I fall asleep soon. Wish me luck.
15 comments:
Oh my gosh, I feel guilty. Now that everyone is gone, i have a few days before the next guests arrive. I am going to the post office this moment to send your birthday gift. This will solve all your blogging woes.
Keep blogging! I check EVERY DAY!
Love,
Your biggest fan
I am here, I am here. I raise my hand and prance in my seat.
Carrie Ann "might be your biggest fan" (and I don't have your address to send you a birthday gift. *sniff*)
BUT I CHECK TWICE a DAY! *chuckle*
Love~
Your fan club organizer and president!
this is my first experience EVER in posting a comment on a blog. Hope you feel special:) I enjoy reading your blog because it makes me feel like you are not so far away up there in ORegon. Keep it up.
welcome amy june!
Look, I post comments...even less often than I blog. I am sorry you are alone--if it makes you feel better I'll say it was me calling at 3am even though it wasn't, though I was probably up at that time to empty a pregnant bladder. I want Taylor's stories written down about "Nothing" and "Candyland" because some parents just aren't original or creative enough to do it on our own, uh, their own.
Oh, how I love comments, you wonderful people!
And WELCOME Amy June! (as I hide my face in shame for not speaking/writing/communicating with you in any way since the arrival of your very first baby. Will you believe me if I say I think about you often? 'Cause I do.) How long have you been reading my blog? I think your adventures in Mommydom would make a great blog-venture. Just a thought...
I'm still reading! I think your blog is great fun. I haven't commented here for many moons, but it's one of the few that I visit regularly. I relate to most everything you say (being in the same stage in life, and all.) Keep it up!
Chelle
Complete strangers read your blog.
My daughter told me that she enjoyed reading yours, so I followed her. I don't remember if she actually knows you personally or simply found your blog. We sometimes wander around looking for (primarily Mormon) new friends.
I am not nearly as interesting as you are, but I am at http://motherof8.blog-city.com/, if you are curious.
This is JP here competing with CA and Lisa as your biggest fan and fan club president. (Really, Lisa...you can't have BOTH titles. LOL)
I also hate being home alone at night...my imagination ALWAYS gets the better of me. However, I will be finding out from CA how to send you a birthday 'somethin' since you ARE the coolest...
so many comments... how do you sleep at night with all this popularity? i'd be interested in a copy of "Nothing" as well. are they tales of what happens to children who say nothing but "nothing" or are they miny seinfield episods about "nothing".
The Adventures of Nothing in Nothing Land contain more morals than you might expect. Mostly "Don't say 'nothing' so much...or else 'nothing' is what you'll get!"
Well-when someone specifically puts your name on their blog...my ego demands a response- I love reading about what you guys are up to in Oregon. I miss being able to see you guys more-you really have an incredibly creative family. I can't really relate so much to the mother thing but I can relate to figuring your identity out. I wonldn't want to share an name with any other girl but you:)Dis I mention what an awesome helper Waverly was when she was out here? She actually helped me wash walls and thought it was "fun":) -Sara Vivian.
Hello dear Suzie Petunia! I'm here too although it has been a while since I've been on my computer because children have been waking up at night. Hannah suddenly wants milk and cuddles, Jake is having bloody noses, and Matthew won't stop watching Star Wars and then freaking out all night about Darth Vader in the closet. Hello Amy June and Sarah Vivian!
yes yes yes. i'm reading. and i've been responding mentally -- haven't you received my telepathic communications?? i could've sworn i heard you respond (or could that be just voices in my head). you've introduced me to the world of blogging which is fascinating on many levels. i read as often as i can and it is interesting to know you better -- i've loved hearing about the adventures of your family. i've got deeper insights to share, but right now my brain is fried from girls camp, so i'll have to fill in later. till then, know that i am cheering for you and taylor and that yes, i am a regular reader.
Post a Comment