
I feel bitter-sweet about school starting again. It is too soon, but it couldn't have come fast enough. The quiet in the house is surreal - sad and wonderful. How can it seem so quiet with 2 little boys still here with me all day?
But, I came to tell you about the beginning of... what? The end? The rest of her life? Where parenting really begins? The birthday girl reminded me as she finished breakfast this morning that I would be permitted to walk her to the bus stop, so long as I did not hold her hand. She has never tried to distance herself from me. It came as a surprise that I was somehow expecting. I had only hoped I could delay it for a few more years.

My first clear memories are from my second grade year. In some respect I fear stepping back into my childhood through my daughter's experiences in school. And now that I see she is truly her "own person" I have no control over how it will all unfold. Is this why some mothers begin home-schooling? Well, that's out of the question ... so I'm bound for a bit of deja vu.
So, here's to new pink school shoes and beginning all over again. Happy Birthday, SweetPea.

13 comments:
Ok, seeing this picture just terrified me because not only is Waverly SO old, but she is SO beautiful, dare I say hot! You be careful, Suzie and Zook! How exciting to be in second grade! Don't worry too much, Suzie. She won't have the same bad experiences because you know better than to buy her shoes that are too big or pants that are too short. You can come through for her where your own mother failed you--I'm kidding, Mo--don't be angry with me! But really, she'll have all new bad experiences...and lots of good ones too.
The first day of school is very exciting indeed. Congrats on second grade. Elliot is in his 4th week of 1st grade---I didn't know there were still schools that started in September.
As for being embarrassed by your mom, I asked Elliot if he'd like it if I volunteered in his class, then held my breath for the answer. He said, "Yeah" and I inwardly danced that he didn't think it would ruin his reputation...yet. That's what second grade must be for.
OH, she is SO lovely!
School is hard for me! I miss my chili's! We had chocolate chip cookies that first day. *smile* Beauitful cupcakes.
a)Waverly is darling
b)You're lucky she let you take all those cute pics of her on the first day of school. I would have been mortified. Even as a kid I got embarassed and wanted to be grown-up, ie mom was not allowed to take pics and do all that cute huggy stuff.
i must call you tomorrow... or tonight even. i am in your time zone right now! waverly is.... old! and abby is right. dont tell her, but she is georgeous! anyway, some of ya'll hated mo comin to stuff but i never did. even in high school. so ya never know, ne? tell her bappy b'day for me!!!
Your hair doesn't look red in that picture. Did you change it back?
It's so difficult seeing your child go to school... The first day of school is always the hardest for me.
I think it is hard for me because of me knowing that I can take care of her when she needs me... Maybe I'm beeing a little selfish, but truly, I want what is best for her. It's hard for us 'tough' men to let go too... reminds me of a country song about "tough little boys grow up to be men and turn into little babies again"...hearing that song makes me cry every time...
Congrats on the day. I fear it myself when I look at my five year old.
Waverly is an absolute doll! She's very photogenic.
Suzie-- I really can't believe that you are old enough to have a second-grader!! I hope that Waverly someday realizes how cool it is that she has such a young, spunky mom!
p.s. I'm so glad that your school district starts after Labor Day! I don't know who came up with the idea of having school start in August, but writing "August 22, 2005" on the top of your school paper just isn't right. . .
I'm so happy for my little sweet-pea. She is SO grown up. And I'm sure you'll get used to your new peace and quiet soon enough! Pender pants, I don't recall any of us ever being embarressed to have our mom come along to stuff. You're lucky because you pretty much got mo all to yourself while we had to share her!
I think Spencer knew he was lucky just to get the attention, being number seven. I mean, look at me being left all sorts of places by accident!
I am SO glad Waverly got that fab skirt! She is so, so cute! I can't believe she is in second grade. It really, truly seems like just a few days ago that I rushed to the hospital to meet my niece and then rushed in an adrenaline high to Baby Gap to buy her the cutest thing I could lay hands on. Sigh. Where does time go? And then again...why doesn't it go faster sometimes?
Post a Comment