Thursday, November 24, 2005

The Turkey Trot

by The (original) Indian Feather

Step #1 Marry a man who loves to cook.
Step #2 Let said man take control of the Thanksgiving "turkey situation".
Step #3 Have him make a brine (ask him how, not me!) and let turkey soak for 24 hours.
Step #4 Remove turkey from brine and PAT THE TURKEY DRY. (I don't know why I found this so amusing... so very amusing that I had to take a picture.)
pat the turkey
Step #5 Let man finish prepping and cooking turkey.
Step #6 Make your Mom's famous rolls.
Thanksgiving 05 Turkey Trot
Step #7 Trot like a turkey at the Portland Zoo for 4 miles with the wonderful man who made the turkey.
Thanksgiving 05 Turkey Trot
Step #8 Trot some more with the kids and relatives
Thanksgiving 05 Turkey Trot
Thanksgiving 05 Turkey Trot
Thanksgiving 05 Turkey Trot
Step #9 Trot yourself home and eat turkey!
Thanksgiving 05 Turkey Trot
Step #10 Feel OK about the 3 helpings of turkey and 3 slices of pie you ate (among other things) because you ran over 4 miles already today!

P.S. Thank you, Kimber, for watching the little turkeys while we ran! I am thankful today for you!!

12 comments:

Emily said...

Dear Original,

I'm glad you had such a lovely Thanksgiving. Turkey Man looks very GQ in that last photo.

Sister Pottymouth said...

Wow--your rolls are impressive! Reminds me of the amount that my own mom used to make when we were kids. Your trot around the zoo looked like lots of fun, and your dinner looked fabulous. Great photos.

Bek said...

Wow, you guys are ambitious!! The most exercise we get on Thanksgiving is chasing the kids away from the kitchen.

Glad that Kimber is there for Thanksgiving!! It was fun to see Kristy's family too....

Glad you are well.

Abby said...

I'm glad I can always find fresh material on your blog. The rest of the family is severely slacking. What a fun day you all had! Was there an exchange of romantic gifts later on, or was the trot the extent of your anniversary festivities? Your kids are beautiful, and I can't beieve how old Waverly is--it's erie to see her with your hair in her face, or her hair in her face is so you, get it? Spooky and lovely!

Abby said...

p.s.
Also jealous of the cozy bundling in coats and sweaters and hats, etc. It was 80* here--we were sweatin' on our Thanksgiving Day walk with Dad--Caleb was lethargic and clammy in his footsie pj's.
Com'on already with winter!

Lisa M. said...

I agree with Abby. ON all points.

Great pics, and I Love your zest.

Have I told you that recently?

Suzie Petunia said...

Emily,
Isn't he handsome? I'll take credit for the sweater he is wearing. I gave it to him for Christmas a few years back.

Julie,
The rolls LOOKED very impressive, but my oven is dumb (or I am) and the insides of the first 2 batches were doughy and gross. Better luck next year...

bek,
It is fun to know you KNOW everyone in the photos... except me! :)

Abby,
You want to come enjoy our winter weather? It is supposed to actually SNOW here tonight. Doesn't happen too often in Portland. It is supposed to be less than an inch, but I wouldn't be surprised if school was canceled for Waverly. And what was that abour her hair??

lisa m.,
Thanks for saying I'm "zesty". You made my day. :)

Emily said...

Working it to get a logo, huh?

fMhLisa said...

Looks yummy!

Abby said...

My baby made your new logo! I feel famous--do you realize what a following you have? I need an agent--oh, was it a mistake? It was, huh. Nevermind, no it's ok, really..you can keep it if you want. He's awful sweet, he doesn't ask for much...

Suzie Petunia said...

Abs,
Laughing here... just realized that baby on the logo is Caleb and NOT Oscar! :) I think he just grabbed pics from my flickr account. How DID Caleb get on there? That is so weird. (But CUTE.)

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

How wonderful your day sounded! I want to instill the love of running in my kids and I went for a short one today! My back let me and it felt sooooo good! I think doing a THankgiving run is the best way to not feel guilty for eating, eating, eating!!