Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Nothing is Ever Simple...

...least of all, trying to live simply. In my distress I googled "simple living". This was the first website. I think their web master should practice what their site preaches! How ironic! It was so chaotic... so cluttered... I felt so overwhelmed by the site, I left immediately.

I'm pretty sure I am suffering from a disorder - something that has to do with wanting to micro-manage everything (like Abby suggested). I believe it is called The Pure O (I've actually done my research), as in the "obsessive" part of "obsessive-compulsive disorder". Did you know they now classify the "obsessive" part of OCD all by itself as its very own disorder?? Is it wrong that I want to develop the "compulsive" part that would make me want to clean and organize? I must be crazy because I'm talking about wanting to develop a DISORDER! HELP!

Further down the google search I found this. I guess the only other solution for "living simply" is to build a cabin out in the wilderness, hunt my own food, haul water from the river, make my own clothes out of wool I have raised, sheered, spun and knitted, or whatever you do with wool? ... yah, that sounds REAL simple.

I'm beginning to realize that "simple living" is a euphemism on the internet for being a granola-eating-hippy . Wait, do people who live in the woods and hunt their own food even HAVE internet access? Once again... I am feeling confused... in addition to feeling overwhelmed.

11 comments:

Meg said...

Have you ever heard of flylady.net? I have looked at their website and it looks o.k. Acutually, I get a bit overwhelmed by it, but I know some who swear by it. You should check it out.

mo said...

I once knew a lady who had lived in a cabin in the woods with her two children and had no electricity or other modern amenities. It sounded so hard and uncomfortable--not simple, not easy, not better. She was more than a little strange. Here's the solution, at least it worked for me--wait until your children have all grown up and left home and then move--throwing everything that is superfluous away. I finally feel I am getting a handle on my junk and life. Kind of. Sort of. It has only taken 56 years. Am I being unrealistic?

Unknown said...

I am one who swears by the Flylady. (Read my comments on your previous post.)

Bek said...

I was going to say someting about Fly Lady too.... I hear she helps people get organized...

There is another organizing blog I stumbled on. It is by a lady in Utah... The Laura Gallagher Organizational Blog. I read it and think to myself "yeah, right!". It does have some great tips though.

:-)

Emma Jo said...

Yeah, how does one watch their helpful DVD if they live out in the woods with no TV? Answer me that.
I kind of feel OCD too, really and honestly. I am trying to deal with the fact that I realistically just can't be OCD because I don't have the time or energy...so I guess what I'm saying is, my brain is OCD but my body is not...that means I spend a lot of my day wincing and sporting an uncomfortable sort of smile.

Suzie Petunia said...

Thanks for the sane suggestions. I just registered with flylady. She seems like a good organizational mentor - a virtual one, that is. I'm willing to try anything!

michaelstubbs said...

What is wrong with being a granola-eating hippie? Before you all begin to mock those who choose to live differently, might I remind you that my family and I lived in a cabin in the woods (yes we had a tv, but no cable), hauled our water, planted a garden, shopped for organic food at the farmers market, rode bikes as much as we could, recycled, and generally lived simply. It was beautiful. I was happy. We did not see the inside of a Walmart. We had no internet and DID NOT MISS IT. I never read more books in less time in my life. I never spent more time with my son. I did not have a job, but I never felt richer. So yes, you can live simply, and yes we can be happy with less. Ask me about it sometime.

Suzie Petunia said...

It is not that I don't believe you, Mike. Its just that THAT kind of life is just completely impossible for our family for so many reasons. I happen to be deeply passionate about my love of nature and the environment. For now, with young children we've chosen a life for our family that is not condusive to living "one with nature". We need to live near Zook's job and we have kids to feed. I'm sorry if I've offended.

Sarah said...

My only tip for simple living is don't try and control things you can't possibly control. Or in other words, stop worrying about the life, universe and everything. I am pretty good at this on most days, but then I have a week long stretch where I am freaking out because the clothes were supposed to be picked up at the dry cleaners at 5:00 and it's 5:02!!! AHHH!!

Abby said...

Am I more stressed from reading this? Hmm.

michaelstubbs said...

I think that there are ways to be urban and to be close to nature too. I have a whole book of stories and essays about urban nature. There is no one correct way of living simply or of living close to nature. I think that the best way is to let go of the need we feel to live like everyone else (or some one else) and just live the life that brings us the most peace. Oregon is a great place to do that because so many people there are open to different ideas and lifestyles. Good luck.