Saturday, November 18, 2006

On the road again

We are leaving for a little va-ca in California today... well, in 6 hours or so. We are driving The Silver Bullet (a.k.a. my minivan) and I am so excited to be in the car for a total of approximately 40 hours over the next week. (My sarcasm is so thick - I think I just dribbled some on my keyboard.) Don't get me wrong, I love a good road trip as much as the next person (ok, not really) and at least I'll be with my favorite people... in very close quarters... with no where to run... and nothing but my stash of licorice to turn to. It's just a lot of driving, ok? I'm a little nervous that I will go insane. So, if I arrive in Palo Alto tomorrow night with licorice shoved up my nose while I'm rocking back and forth in my seat repeating "I cannot touch that object, I cannot touch that object..." to myself over and over, well, don't be too surprised.

All sarcasm aside, I have been looking forward to this trip and spending time with my husband's family for Thanksgiving. I haven't left Oregon since last May, so I'm ready to step outside of my rainy, green paradise and see what else is goin' on (hopefully sunshine?). Bek, can you order sunshine for us, please? Thanks. After a few days in my hubby's hometown we'll head with the rest of the in-laws down to Desert Springs for the holiday. I like being in a hotel for Thanksgiving because that means NO COOKING! A restaurant Thanksgiving! I'll trade in the home-cookin' warmth and coziness this year for an easy-street meal someone else has prepared. I don't mind that once in a while. I guess I'm assuming a lot. Last time we went to So Cal for Thanksgiving we DID end of making the Thanksgiving meal at an uncle's house. I guess I should have communicated better with the in-laws and not assumed anything. But that's kind of how it goes with these family trips: we get the info on where to be and when, but have little knowledge of what we'll actually be doing once we get there. Truly, I have no idea what the plans are... if there are any!! I'm just planning on soaking in the sunshine, letting a maid clean up our room, and having fun with family. Whatever else happens will just be a bonus!

Without guaranteed internet access over the next week, I hope I'll be able to keep up with my post-a-day goal for the month of November. I'm so proud of myself that I've made it this far - it would be a shame to miss a day now. I'll admit it is sometimes a stretch to think of something interesting to write about, but it has been a good exercise for me. I'm sure I'll have a few interesting things to share: like what type of virus we all pick up while we're there. It is bound to happen, right? I can't remember a family gathering where something didn't go around. If something DOES happen - good or bad - at least I'll be able to properly document it with photos. Zook found my camera battery re-charger while cleaning out The Silver Bullet today! Hooray for helpful husbands!

See you on the other side!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're making this trek from Oregon to California the week after Christmas. Should be nice and frosty over the pass (yay). Hope your trip goes off without a hitch!
Stacey

Anonymous said...

Too bad we are going to St. George for Thanksgiving because i would love to see you in SoCal (even though I have no idea where Desert springs is. Sounds hot.)

Suzie Petunia said...

It's right next door to Palm Springs, but sounds a lot less enticing, don't you think? Ok, I'm really leaving now... just turning off the computer so I can get in the car... BYE!

Bek said...

I just put in the request for sunshine. Are you coming here? Will you be at church? Maybe we can meet at a park. I haven't seen Jen and Miranda in awhile. Where are you staying?

E mail me!!

Last night Zook's cousin baby sat for us (Sam and Amber...known as Samber in our house) and we realized that Leanne "married" Sam's dad and my husbands mom when they were 6 yrs old. Funny, huh?

Hope we can meet. If not........

Abby said...

I had to stop mid-read and go have a bowel movement after reading the road trip part. I think I'm nervous for you? It always messes with my digestion, if ya know what I mean, and I can only imagine what all that licorice might do to you. Happy travels!

Amy Lynn said...

God bless you for your courage and fortitude. I would pop a couple of sleeping pills while leaving my driveway and tell my husband to wake me up when we got there. Although if I had done that during the last road trip, I would have missed the black lacy bra!

Did you get a couple different flavors licorice?

Amy Lynn said...

My sweet sister...I just want you to know I am catching up and reading all your blogs and loving every moment it is just so late that I haven't been commenting so I'm sending you all the positive thoughts in my head right now...did you feel that? It was me. I love you.