Sunday, March 25, 2007

Just Happy

I have the best husband. I slept in on Saturday while he made the kids breakfast and put them to work cleaning their rooms. Then he cleaned all 3 bathrooms while I was assigned to clean the kitchen and living room - something I would do 10 times in a row rather than touch a stinky toilet scrubby thing. Zook even got a garage door repair man to come fix the door we haven't been able to open for six months. (Hooray!) By noon the house was in tip-top shape and I felt ready to go to the hospital, have a baby, and bring her home to our sparkling digs. That didn't happen.

But we did get to go to Target to pick out birthday gifts for our soon-to-be-six Henry. What a relief to know that we are prepared for that now, because the baby is due right around his birthday. What a bummer it would be for my sweet boy to be turning six and for everyone to skim over his big day. As luck would have it, Zook had to leave quickly from Target to pick up Henry from his classmate's birthday party while I was waiting for a prescription. I told him I would meet him out front. I had 10 whole minutes to buy myself a bag of popcorn, a cherry icee and to sit and people-watch as fellow Target-worshippers streamed in and out of those red doors. Delightful.

This morning my favorite person in the whole world let me sleep in again. When I decided I wanted to get up and eat breakfast with him and the kids he graciously shared his portion of Cream of Wheat with me. Whay a guy! When I was running a few minutes late, he went ahead and drove the kids to church to get us a good, soft seat. (Still not sure how to justify "running late" when church doesn't start until 2 pm!)

We came home to the smell of Sunday roast in the crockpot because Zook had started it himself last night. How do I deserve this kind of treatment?! It was absolutely delicious!

It has been a sunny and all-around gorgeous day out and I desperately wanted to take a walk and soak up the precious sun rays. The troops were assembled after dinner and we walked to the park: perfect temperature, perfect children. My two little boys held my hands all the way there. Waverly fell behind with her dad - they chatted and bonded as they walked. I wish I had a picture to capture the moment. Zook and I sat and watched our kids play tag on the soccer field while the glittery golden sun sank behind us. The kids played so nicely together - tickling, laughing, wresting. When they were tired, they came over to our bench; the sun and their smiles made their eyes sparkle and shine.

How completely happy I felt inside! I wondered to myself whether this day was the utter and complete opposite... the "opposition in all things" kind of day... to my terrible, no good, very bad days. I thought about how we have recently re-committed ourselves as a family to holding family prayer in the morning as well as before bed. There has been such a notable difference in the demeanor of my children, it makes me want to laugh at my stupidity, laziness, and lack of faith for not doing it so much sooner!

We took the long way home around the outer perimeter of the park, taking turns being the "leader" of "Follow the Leader" and "simon" of "Simon-Says". We walked hand-in-hand five-across the wide sidewalk back down the street to our neighborhood. The boys were amazed at how tall their shadows were! Oscar wondered why it looked like snow had collected in clumps on the sidewalk, and I got to point out the beautiful spring blossoms falling from the trees overhead. We talked about how to be safe and to not talk to strangers. We pet a great dane that was taller than Oscar. I was sad when the sun sank so low, the temperature dropped, and it was time for our family adventure to end.

Soon our family adventures will include one more little girl. I'll be setting places for 6 instead of 5 at the dinner table. How amazing it is that a family can grow and change just like that! Overnight! (Well, after 9 long months of pregnancy.) I can't wait to see what Alice brings to our family. How will the dynamics change? How will my days be different from they are right now? Well, for one thing: no sleeping in! But how will she change me, her dad, and each of her siblings? I'm ready to find out.

I'm ready.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was really nice reading your post...thanks for sharing your wonderful time...and well for some interesting resources and ideas for birthdays you can also visit my blog on Birthday Wishes sometime and check out all that i've posted there!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad I found your blog!
I am enjoying your writing and look forward to hearing about addition #4!

Meg said...

There is NOTHING better then sunny warm days in the NW. I am sooo excited to be coming out there soon. I hope you have saved some sunny weather for when I come. Email me and let me know when we can come visit!

Kelly(M&M) said...

Wow, your weekend sounds perfect!! Your hubby is great and I am glad that he and Jeff get along so well. You sound very ready for Alice. I can't wait to meet her. I promise I will blog soon, I am just being lazy. I am sure I will see you soon. Let's enjoy the beautiful weather!

Carrie Ann said...

It made me happy just reading it. Hurry and have a baby!

Emma Jo said...

I live for those days. I'm glad you feel ready, that makes it so much more enjoyable!

Lisa M. said...

I love days like that. Really love days like that.

Abby said...

I can't wait to hear all about how Alice changes--enhances--your life. I predict she will be fair-featured like you and Henry, to balance things out. I bet it was a happy day for her too bc her mommy was emitting so much happiness! Don't make it too nice for her in there or she won't want to leave!

Sarah said...

Isn't if fun to look at newly born babies and wonder what they will become? What their personalities, interestes, and passions will be?

I am excited for you.

Bek said...

Glad you had a good day... bring o number 4!! (BTW..I love the name and know a few other ones... Tina Fey's baby is called Alice. It is sweet).

mo said...

Thanks for sharing your perfect day! It made me feel warm all over for you. I can't wait to meet Alice either.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day! I loved reading it and it did make me feel grateful for all my blessings too. My boys can be crazy but I cherish those moments. THanks for sharing. Happy birthing.
Mary

Amy Lynn said...

Beautiful! Makes everything in life seem worth it to have moments like that.

JP said...

What a beautiful and touching day. Props to the hubby!! :)

I'm so happy for you Miss Suzie...I'm so excited for the newest addition to your family, too.

Thank you for sharing such wonderfullness...

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

What a beautiful picture you painted. I loved the feel of it. I love those balmy summer day feelings and I want to be where you are!

Good luck for this new baby. It will be wonderful. The dynamics will only get better.

lys said...

I can't wait to see Alice!