Sunday, June 03, 2007

The (Only) Problem with Shopping at Target

The crowning jewel (of a retail nature) in my small town is the local Target. Now, if you are a regular reader you have heard me extol the marvelous virtues of this red and white shopping mecca. I love Target. I love Target's merchandise. I love that it is so conveniently located. Unfortunately this is true for every other consumer of cute and reasonably-priced goods in my city. Sometimes exceptionally cute and/or reasonably-priced goods sell out quickly. And then, sometimes THIS happens...

The week after Alice was born I treated myself to a new dress a la Target (with matching shoes, of course). After all, I needed something to wear to her baby blessing - something that actually fit. I loved my new dress. I felt cute and trendy two weeks post pardom - who could ask for anything more? Thank you, Target! As the weeks have passed I have had to use restraint every other Sunday as I get ready for church... I try not to wear the same thing two weeks in a row. That's normal, right?

With sufficient time lapsing since my last wearing-of-the-cute-dress I donned my purty Target purchase last Sunday and was a little surprised to see another woman in my ward wearing the same dress. I avoided making eye contact or passing her in the hall. She is newish and I don't know her at all. What would I say? A lame joke? "Huh...nice dress!" or would it be best to ignore the fact that we looked like matchy-matchy twins altogether? As immature as my reaction was to this fashion fiasco, I thought I had made it through the worst of it. Surely she wouldn't wear the dress two weeks in a row. And I was right! Today she didn't! However, as I walked down the hall after sacrament meeting today I saw this:










... and as I passed the nursery room I saw this:




... and my love affair with my cute and trendy dress was over. Just like that. With four of us owning identical dresses, my odds of looking like a twin every Sunday has just increased dramatically. Woe is me. My only consolation is that none of the other 3 ladies own my cute and trendy Target shoes!

20 comments:

Johnna said...

Wear the dress every week. They'll back off. It looks better on you anyway.

pepper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

I have it too and so does another girl in my ward. Thankfully she had about a million different church outfits so we've never worn them on the same day!

pepper said...

How funny that I just saw two ladies at a wedding reception a couple weeks ago donning the same dress. Sad for you, it is a cute dress!

S'mee said...

Way back before any of you were born there was a trend that just everyne HAD to have...

the demin jumper with black velvet trim/buttons/collar. Whatever.

I went months and months wanting to be oh so trendy. I finally was smiled on and actually had a friend give me one her mom bought and didn't want. I got my dress,tags still on, free!

I was walking through the local COSTCO the following day and spied a rack full of the dresses I just got for free. I was just about to say how proud and happy I was going to be on Sunday wearing to church when my best friend took one look at the rack and said; "What IS IT with all the prison dresses? Are women so crazy they are willing to look like a convict just so they can wear THAT dress?"

I never wore the dress. Not once. I still can't see a demin dress without hearing those words.

go figure.

Emily said...

The good news is that retailers are catching on to the fact the dresses--with sleeves, not too lowcut, to the knee -- are going to REALLY sell in Mormon hotbeds.

The bad news is I really like those shoes, and just might go buy some. Or is that good news?

Laura said...

I had the same thing happen to me in my first married ward...Except the other girl was SO UPSET/(pissed off) that she actually GLARED at me the entire Relief Society hour...It was awkward even after the "incident..."

I'm in TOTAL agreement on the shoes...I own two different colors, and wear them all the time...Too bad you aren't visiting Carrie, then we could ALL wear them...I believe Amy also has a pair...Such great taste!!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that. No one in my ward has anything I have but maybe that's because I almost never get new clothes. :) Well I did get some new clothes. Mike surprised me with some clothes he bought from Newport news online. Don't ever do it though. THey are a pain to deal with especially since I had to send stuff back cause he bought me a size too big. I was glad he wanted to surprise me but he also bought me some 3 inch heels. I don't do heels but have been wobbling on them to church for a few weeks now. I just know people look at me and think, "how can she be 32 and not know how to walk in heels?" I can see in their eyes when they say "you look nice today" that they just want to bust out laughing. I didn't want to hurt mike's feelings as I did return a few of the things he bought so I figured I'd keep a few too. He was so proud and told everyone he picked out my outfit. Crazy man. Happy shopping. Maybe you should pull out that old sewing machine and come up with something no one has in all your free time as the mother of 4 children. I'm joking of course. :)
Mary

Julie said...

That is too funny. I really like that dress. Mind if I get it? I promise not to wear it to family reunions. (There isn't a Target around here for about 50 miles, so I am relatively safe.. or at least I think I am.)

AmyJune said...

That really makes me laugh. Inexpensive + modest = every Mormon woman's dream dress. Sorry. I think I already told you that I tried that same dress on but don't worry I did not buy it. Although if you are looking to get rid of yours.......:)

Anonymous said...

Our target doesn't carry cute stuff like that. It doesn't hardly carry one piece bathing suits!

I love to go to the Utah Targets and Walmarts they carry some really cute modest stuff.

mo said...

I understand. I once had a dress I really liked and then I saw it on a lady in our ward and I could never dare wearing it again to church. It's so silly, what does it matter? Still, I just never could bring myself to wear it at church so I just wore it to places I knew I wouldn't run into her. With everyone that has your dress, maybe you could start a singing quartet or something so you would look like you meant to dress alike. Just a lame idea.

Emily said...

Did you girls see a few months ago when Laura Bush wore a red gown to a State Dinner and two other women showed up wearing the same dress? I think it's funny and kind of charming. The other day I saw a really cute shirt/jacket at Target for 75% off, so I bought two and am going to keep one and give one to a girl in my ward. Who cares!

Kelly(M&M) said...

Too funny! The good news is that the dress is getting to big for you now and no one in MY ward has the dress so you can pass it on to me. :-) And about the shoes, I still think they are the cutest shoes ever. My MIL was so impressed that you bought me the same ones. She said, "You know you are good friends if she can buy you matching shoes." I definitely agree!

Amy Lynn said...

A totally unbelievable occurrence! Four women in the same ward?? The dress is muy adorable and not one of the other women has your fabulous legs so put in on and let it be seen! You were the original!lambie

Abby said...

Yeah--ruined. Sorry, dude, but it's the reason I RARELY shop at the Gap. But oddly enough I always wanted to wear a uniform to school--less pressure, don't you think? If it makes you feel better, I am confident it looks best on you.

Anonymous said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I don't have it.

Lisa M. said...

I still say Target is one of my LEAST favorite places to shop ( i know, you'll never think the same of me again!!!)

I still do love the cream slushies tho, at Sonic ( is there some redemption there? )

I'm sorry about your plight-

Carrie Ann said...

I have those shoes, but because we life so far apart we can wear them any time we want. Lucky us...kind of.

Anna said...

This totally cracks me up. Four of you with the same dress all at the same church? Well, I love Target too . I guess it's just worth the risk for cute at affordable as well as accessible!

Thanks for letting me visit!