Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Why I am posting at 3 AM...

Ever heard of Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS)? I've had it before on and off during a couple of my pregnancies. But why am I experiencing it now?? I just read all about it online to refresh my memory that there is basically nothing you can do about it. Maybe blogging will help? ha ha My legs want to jump up and run a marathon this very moment, but the rest of my tired body wants nothing but sleep! The great irony: I am planning on running in about 3 hours, but if I can't sleep NOW I won't be able to. AND I won't be able to function - being mom alone with 4 kiddos on vacation. I know the entire medical community online has nothing to offer me to ease this weird discomfort. So, quite naturally I'm turning to you, my blog reader. Waddaya got?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I always read the medical advice column in the Oregonian on Sundays and there have been repeated entries of people using a bar of soap, I kid you not, placed under their sheets near their legs and it gets rid of leg cramps and movement. Not any fancy bar, just your regular kind. It sure wouldn't hurt to try.

Kelly(M&M) said...

I love your label on this post. :-) I forgot about you getting RLS. Now I remember when you woke up and wanted to go running in the middle of the night. So, when you ran Hood to Coast you finally got to do your middle of the night run- yeah!

Mandee said...

What I would give to have any part of my body want to jump up and run a marathon! By the way thanks for the response on my blog (I love Emily's family!). Do you think I would get many stares from the folks here in Rexburg if I wore that shirt about Idaho or Udaho?

Abby said...

I've found that I used to get it a lot more when I was excercising more. I NEVER get it anymore...I know that's not something you want to hear, but have you considered becoming lazy and immobile? It might help. Oh, and drink soda and eat crap...just because.

Emma Jo said...

Quite the contrary my dear...as a fellow RLS insane person I know just what that misery is like. My quacky Iridologist told me to take Calcium Magnesium...couldn't hurt.

Suzie Petunia said...

Almost bedtime. Here's my checklist:

bar of soap: check (who are you, anonymous?)
iron supplement: check (got that idea from a website)
stop exercising: well, I didn't today.
eat junk food: I am currently eating a bowl of ice cream at Amy's house - check
Calcium Magnesium: I'm going straight upstairs to find some.

I'm desperate, people. This is insanely irritating. I was so tired today after not being able to sleep last night that I 1) wasn't able to get up to go running, and 2) fell asleep as soon as the lights went out in the movie theatre during a matinee of Meet the Robinsons.

ped crossing said...

I hope you have found relief. No advice, just positive thoughts.

Kelly(M&M) said...

I am sorry about your phone calls to the doctor. You need to post about it! I am glad your run went well and you are my hero. 12 miles on the dreadmill-impressive!

S'mee said...

o.k. kid, here ya go. I have had this for almost all my life and this is what I find that helps.

Keep up on the magnesium.

If you excersize do it early in the day.

Let "comfy low heel shoes" be your montra.

Think like Rod Stewart:HOT LEGS!
ABSOLUTELY every night get into a HOT tub or at least a hot shower. It stinks in the summer, but when your legs are hot HOT hot the muscles relax and allow you to get to sleep before the "dancing" starts. You know your legs are ready when they are very pink! Try heat patches when things get really bad, they work. (So much so that I have stored them right along with the food in 72 hr. kits and otherwise)

And this sounds really stupid, but shave your legs every day. i.e. try to avoid anything that will tickle or make your legs itch. Moisturize every night. Keep up on your pedicures, no funky heels, or calluses, etc.

Make your bed. Nice tight fitted sheets, smooth blankies, whatever.

A pillow between your knees.

On a very bad night, try 3 (yes three) extra strength tylenols. Use only when you absolutely need to.

There you go.

Julie said...

Did you know they have currently come out with medication for RLS? I have seen ads on TV. My bro Mike suffers the same thing:)

Suzie Petunia said...

LONG STORY... but I finally got RLS medication and it works like a dream! Mmmmm... sleepy...