LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Film and television writers started going on strike on Monday as last-minute talks aimed at averting the Writers Guild of America's first strike in almost two decades collapsed, the union said.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The first casualty of the strike would be late-night talk shows, which are dependent on current events to fuel monologues and other entertainment." No skin off my nose. I rarely watch them. And when I do, it is my luck that I'm actually watching a re-run anyway.
"Daytime TV, including live talk shows such as "The View" and soap operas, which typically tape about a week's worth of shows in advance, would be next to feel the impact." The View?! Soap Operas?! WHAT AM I GOING TO D.... OK, truth is it would be nigh unto impossible for me to care any less about these shows. So far, so good.
"The strike will not immediately impact production of movies or prime-time TV programs. Most studios have stockpiled dozens of movie scripts, and TV shows have enough scripts or completed shows in hand to last until early next year." This is emergency-preparedness at its best, in my prime-time-tv-lovin' opinion! Thank heavens studio executives have heeded the brethrens' warning to store up for themselves that which they would need in difficult times. Let us all join hands and pray for a speedy resolution for the Writers Guild's woes. I'm willing to sacrifice by watching re-runs of "The Office" and "Heroes" for as long as need be. But if this strike starts to impede upon my insatiable desire to consume my regularly-scheduled consumption of "Lost", well, that is where my support for the writers' guild will end. My popcorn is all but popped and waiting for me to enjoy in February of 2008 when "Lost" is scheduled to return.
WHAT?? "Lost" isn't returning until 2008??! That is just pure insanity. That is almost a full year break! What kind of attention span do they think they are dealing with here? I was brought up on fast-paced Sesame Street and lots of refined sugar. Do they truly expect me to remember Lost's intricacies for that long? I can't even remember what this post was supposed to be about a couple minutes ago when I first started writing.
Now I don't know who's side I am on. What were we just talking about?
10 comments:
Thank you for stopping by at my blog. Glad that a fellow early-riser found me. And a mommy runner! Just the kind of mommy I've been looking for to inspire me. No marathons for me yet but I am training myself to run the Bolder Boulder 10K next may--- I've never run before, I'm basically a walker, so wish me luck! Love your blog, I will be back.
Writers Strike... I'm still in denial about this. I gotta have my House and I was just getting to know Suzanne Who?.
I am with you 100% on Lost. I think they did the long break so we'd all have to buy season 3 and catch up before the season premier in February. It's the only way I can tell what day of the week it is - is Lost on tonight? Must be Wednesday.
Producers can't win! You don't want to wait a year between the start of the season, but you hate having hiatus breaks in the middle too! What's the deal?
I'm on the writer's side (they got shafted in DVDs and deserve a makeup.)
Have no fear Petunia! Lost producers have been stock-piling episodes during this long (excruciatingly so) break. They probably have enough to get us through next season. Besides, let's face it, a Lost season seems to be about five episodes anyway! As for heroes, they've made enough to get us into the December break, and their also writing "volumes" now, so it would be a natural break off point anyway. How do I know this stuff? I am also pathetically addicted to the SAME shows. Want to get together and eat popcorn and watch all our favorite shows on Tivo?
I think it is hilarious that they have been stock-piling episodes. But please...poor babies not getting enough money?? No sympathy. I could show them a bank balance that would give them something real to cry about!! :>)
The only show I really care about right now is Biggest Loser, and I am pretty sure it is already taped. :-) I also love Scrubs, so maybe I will be affected by this, dang it!
OK, what did you eat for breakfast? That was a hilarious post...perhaps you could ease the shock of us losing those precious writers.
I agree, they have remembered to preserve those shows that really are most important...the other part of me is screaming "Oh the humanity!! Just give them what they want!!"
I do not hiatus in the middle of the season. Give the writers what they want. They deserve it.
And...I am glad for the emergency planning. See, we should all heed that advice.
The end as we know it. I guess I don't watch enough TV to matter. That and I live on HGTV and it isn't scripted.
So THIS is why "Designing Women" has been showing on prime time everynight. I was very confused.
Post a Comment