Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I Think I Owe Apple an Apology

So I made that appointment to have a personal consultation with an "Apple Genius" at their local retail outlet. After my infuriating conversation yesterday on the phone with someone at the store I entered the store today with very low expectations. I made an effort to be taken seriously by dressing in clothes other than pajamas and putting on makeup. I would have even blown dry my hair had my hairdryer not decided to blink out on me this morning (Conair! *shaking my fist* You're next!!).

I have to admit I have always loved the minimalist feel I get when I enter an Apple store. Their window displays are usually eye-catching and to the point (larger-than-life iPhones! Do you love them, Amy June?!) The interior sports clean lines and uncluttered displays. I wish my house felt as organized and clean as an Apple store. An associate noticed me as soon as I entered and was helpful, but not overbearing. I informed him I had an appointment with a genius. He led me to the back of the store where he referred a large plasma screen over the "bar" and informed me that I was next in line. (Note: the "Genius Bar" really is a bar! With stools and everything. If only they offered beverages while you waited...) There was my name, crisp and clean in white letters for all the world to know: I had an appointment and I would be helped shortly. Very shortly. I didn't have to wait more than 30 seconds before a surprisingly non-nerdy Genius apologized for the wait. (What wait?) Did I mention I was the one who was 17 minutes late for my appointment?

A few clicks of his keyboard and it was confirmed that my extended warranty didn't quite extend as far as I needed it to. (Word to the wise: don't run with your iPod in torrential downpours in Oregon. They're not waterproof. And any type of damage is not covered by any of the warranties they offer.) But a "just give me a moment" and a few "clickety-clicks" later and that Genius really made my day. He said that normally it would cost me $129 to replace (not repair... remember?) my Nano. But he had been able to "override" the system and I would be getting my replacement for free! *Imagine my head giggling back and forth giving a double and then triple take at that news* I couldn't help myself, "That is so nice of you!" I cooed. He apologized profusely again for the 3 minutes it took him to override the system, I slobbered all over thanking him profusely and I was on my way. But not before I stopped to admire the new video-playing Nanos in their delicious colors... starting at $149. I almost wish they were forcing me to pay $129 for my replacement! I would have just upgraded to the new iFatty (they are so short and squat and cute!).

I would like to publicly apologize to Apple for yesterday's post. They have proven to be both helpful and generous. Are they this nice to everyone? Or was it the makeup?

(Does anyone else find it ironic that every time I go to type the word "genius" it comes out wrong the first time: "genious" usually.)

6 comments:

Emma Jo said...

I almost want to deliberately destroy my nano so I can speak to me very own genius too. It sounds like they treat you real nice. It would be like a vacation.

AmyJune said...

I will have to visit my local apple store for some larger than life stimulation.

Emily said...

i got an itouch for christmas that my 3 year old broke in no time, apple has been very nice about fixing it (but we did purchase the $60 protection plan...we knew it wouldn't be long before it broke)

ped crossing said...

I'm so glad you had a wonderful apple experience. I generally find that not many places will do much over the phone. They have all these annoying rules.

Then again, I have been a huge apple fan for almost two decades.

Rynell said...

My husband converted me to the Apple way when we married. We've been Apple happy every since. It's about time to upgrade and get a new computer...my NINE year old Mac (yes it's lasted that long, with a couple interior upgrades) is finally aging. And we have two of the new Nanos in our family. I didn't think I'd have much use for the video feature, but I find it surprisingly fun. And I too, love, LOVE the design and ambiance in the store. I want my house like that. It's not. But I can dream. :)

Amy Lynn said...

I also love going to Apple stores...I'm so glad you had a positive experience because Apple everything makes me so happy.