The first few steps are always uncomfortable... no matter how many times I've been out on the same route, the first mile feels creaky and uncomfortable. And then my body warms up, my legs get in a rhythm, and it starts to feel as natural as breathing. I never end a run and say to myself, "I wish I hadn't done that."Most mornings it is cold. It is dark. There is usually at least a light sprinkle of rain. I start my run by silently cursing the elements, but by mile 4 the weather is simply an enemy I have defeated. I'm too strong to let a little drizzle get me down or make me feel weak. I have won!
Some mornings are too beautiful to describe. The air has just a touch of crisp coolness, the sky is a deep blue with feathered edges of pink in the east that I can see through the tops of towering trees. When I have conquered the biggest hill in town, I am rewarded with the most beautiful view of Mt. Hood - clear and sharp in the distance.
There is no warmth as comforting - No warmth that covers so completely from head to toe - than that of the energy leaving my body near the end of a 5 mile run. On cold days I can see the steam rising from my arms and my head. I am a superhero.
There are days... weeks... months... that I am training for a marathon. Some runs are short and very fast. Some runs are repetitive - up and down a long hill 6 or 8 times. The runs on Saturdays are just very, very long. But there is nothing like answering the question, "How far did you run today?" with this answer: "Twenty miles."
The variety is exciting. The rewards are increased strength and endurance. The payment is often injury. Ice, rest, run, ice, rest, run... This becomes my new, personal interval workout. But I can tell I can run longer, sometimes stronger, sometimes faster. I'm praying for a magical day when all three come together. I'm hoping that day is this Saturday.
Running does not define who I am...
...but it does show what I am capable of.(The Marathon Mommies are running the Salt Lake City Marathon on Saturday. Prayers for good health, strength, and endurance are appreciated!)
14 comments:
Cool pictures and a very poignant post. Go running girl...go :o)
You put so eloquently how I feel. And I love the last part. Good luck on Saturday. :-) Enjoy your getaway and I will see you tomorrow. You are a superhero, including a superfriend!
good luck baby! i'm excited for you. i just now came from britt's post about running.
i have running envy.
although i would never hit 20 miles, i do love a good run. miss it terribly.
Any running energy I have will be directed south and east to you.
Have an awesome run!
This was so uplifting to read this morning- very poignant. Love the creative use of the shoes in pics too.
i am so impressed by you. i'm training for a 5k and by 2.5 miles i feel like i want to DIE. i may come and cheer you on at the marathon, even though you don't know me. i'm just so impressed with you and kelly. good luck!
Good luck, SP! (It took me a minute to figure out what that meant.)
You are amazing and will be even more amazing if you are staying in UT past Saturday and I can drive to where you are to see you. Please email me.
Good luck on Saturday!! I hope it is a good day for you and that you accomplish all your goals.
Beautiful post. Good luck this weekend!!
Loved the Shoe Art and have been thinking of you lots the last couple weeks as this day has been flying into view. THEE best of luck to you - may all that you need come to you so you may know you've done your very best!! You deserve and awesome day tomorrow!! RUN yer heart out because you've got LOADS of people standing behind you from the sound of things :o).
Hey, I think Nike would hire you for an ad campaign in a heartbeat. This is good stuff! Very inspiring and all. I will send lots of prayers your way--good luck (not that you need luck).
It also took me a minute to figure out what SP meant. Good Luck on Saturday.
Best of luck tomorrow!
I love the shoe collection. When dancing I tacked every exhausted pair of pointe shoes to my bedroom wall. I learned recently that you can recycle your shoes. I think this is the website: http://www.letmeplay.com/reuseashoe
My pointe shoes are in a box in the attic.
JenLin
Post a Comment