Tuesday, June 03, 2008

K and J's Wedding

The end of May was a busy time for our family. We drove to the Bay area where Taylor's family is from to attend his youngest sister's wedding in the Oakland LDS temple. Here are the Giles siblings with their parents. Aren't they a handsome lot? We made it to the ceremony just by the skin of our teeth - no thanks to me. What? I thought I had more time to get ready! I'm so glad we made it, because it was a beautiful ceremony. Kimber was a gorgeous and gracious bride, and her handsome British husband was dashing as well. (And I have to give a great big "Thank You!" to the kind and generous family members and bridesmaids who watched our kids so we could be there!)These two are both eloquent and mature beyond their years. They have such a bright future ahead of them! And I have to admit being a bit jealous of the adventure ... which will include duel citizenship and living in London. It was delightful to meet his family and spend a few days together. I hope they liked us well enough to let us come visit them in London! Here are Kimber and Julian with all of Kimber's nieces and nephews. For a split second this unruly sight just might make one think twice about endless and eternal posterity... I love that they are gazing into each other's eyes and oblivious to the chaos. Just as it should be on your wedding day! :) I had the happy opportunity to be invited (along with all of the sisters, sisters-in-law and every other able-bodied family member not assigned to babysitting duty) to help decorate for the reception that was held later that evening. As always, my organized mother-in-law had every detail outlined and ready to delegate. Somehow I was given the opportunity to assemble and decorate the wedding cake! I felt honored that she trusted me, my judgement and my creativity enough to handle the job. I was given 3 cake rounds, a cake-tiering "assembly kit", a hacksaw, a lovely assistant, and 2 hours. I think it turned out pretty well, considering I've never decorated a wedding cake in my entire life!In the hustle and bustle of decorating, I also ended up assembling the centerpieces for the tables. What a gorgeous idea they were! I love the fresh lemons. They smelled amazing. And they were a beautiful contrast with the navy blue tablecloths. Well done, Leanne and crew!The food was plentiful and delicious. Everyone had a great time! I came to find out later that Alice was teething 2 molars that day, so that would explain why she screamed through the entire reception. Waverly was put on clean-up duty with a little broom and lace apron - she could not have been more thrilled! Henry and Oscar ate and ate and then went and played in the dirt out back with the other boys in attendance. I'm so glad I took the time to shop for brand new matching outfits for them. (Heavy on the sarcasm.) I forgot to take their picture anyway. Except for this one - Sidenote: It struck me later that this photo looked a whole heck-of-a-lot like one I took at the last Giles wedding that took place 4 years ago... Isn't the similarity amazing?... except for the fact that Henry is now 7, and not 2!Anyway... I managed to have a wonderful time despite the dirty boys playing in their nice outfits. How could I not? Just look at the larger-than-life sheet cakes that were served for dessert?! But more than anything, it was a wonderful occasion because of the couple being honored, and I was honored to be a part of. I married into a fantastic family who values one another and the strengths of each individual. Just like in my own family, my husband's family has a wide range of personalities and talents. But it never ceases to amaze me how we all come together to make something beautiful and memorable. I can't wait until the next family celebration!

14 comments:

Emily said...

It looks so beautiful. I didn't realize there are 7 Giles kids??

Also, everybody does the pose with the wedding couple and all the siblings, but I really hate this pose! The non-child groom has no business being in this picture!! Alas, we have the same picture.

Oscarson Photography said...

Wow! What an occasion! Congratulations Kimber!!!! The cake looks great! Love the colors. The pictures of Hal are hilarious. We are also awaiting an update of how the marathon went!

Abby said...

Beautiful, beautiful, BEAUTIFUL! And no matter how many marathons you run, you can't compete with a British accent, so just give up on being favorite in-law now!
I am super impressed with the cake and it's all just so beautiful! I realized as I looked at the picture of the G-fam that it's been 10 years or so since I've seen some of his family! Crazy. They look beautiful and handsome and happy. What a happy post! Congrats to Kimber and her HUSBAND!

Charity said...

Fantastic, what a beautiful couple...so, because I know you...although not in real life...can I come to London too???

I can dream eh? We should do a Marathon Mommies run in London...good excuse yeah?

Anyway, sounds like you had a fabulous time. Nice job on your marathon as well!

mo said...

Lovely! Great job on the cake and table decor. You are blessed with great in-laws!

JP said...

Beautiful job on the cake! What a lovely time for all of you. Congrats to the happy couple!

(And also...you were SO close to me! Next time you visit the in-laws, I may have to stalk you... LOL)

Tifferbob said...

I love the Oakland Temple! Did you get a chance to go up and walk around the terrace? There's such a beautiful view of the bay from there.

Lucky Mommy said...

What a fun trip. I love out of town weddings. Good job on that wedding cake! I can't believe you were a rookie!

Lisa M. said...

I loved pictures. How neat.

I've made dozens of wedding cakes ,and that one looks PRETTY DARN GOOD.

This was fun to read about!

Steven Rosbach said...

Guess what? I'm pretty sure I was invited to that wedding, but I bailed out at the last second. it was either that wedding, or another wedding at the same temple the same weekend. Weird.

Joy said...

Looks like it was fun. My mom said it was a great time. I will join Marathon mommies when my marathon is complete. My longest race has only been a half marathon. I need to be worthy before I join. Plus I read that most people have a favorite distance. I did not see many people say my favorite...the 50 yard dash.

LCM said...

I love the Oakland Temple. That's where I was sealed to my parents and then hubby and I were sealed there with Buttercup as well. I love the view!

Kelly(M&M) said...

I am not surprised that you were a natural with the cake decorating. It looks beautiful!

What gorgeous pictures. I am glad you had a nice vacation with your family. We missed you guys!

Amy Lynn said...

Thank you for sharing...what a glowing, beautiful bride and very handsome groom. I just still think of Kimber as 14 years old for some reason. I can't believe you handled a cake and centerpieces with such amazing elegance and talent. I would have jumped in the car and run away if someone had asked me to do something so creative...although with my husband around, I'm really off the hook. People know who the real artist is in this family!

Thanks for sharing the beautiful day!