Monday, June 23, 2008

The Response

Suzie Petunia,


Thank you for taking the time to contact me and for sharing your concerns regarding your experience on Monday, June 16. Although it distresses me that you had an unsatisfactory encounter, I am encouraged by your willingness to continue to bring your family to the Library. It is my hope that we can provide a better experience in the future. We are here to serve and want your visits to the Library to be valuable and enjoyable. Please be assured that the City Manager, Assistant City Manager and Community Services Director were all given the opportunity to review your letter and concerns.

If you have further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me.


Thank you,

The mean library lady who kicked me and my kids out of my PUBLIC library


I don't know what I was expecting, but this certainly was anticlimactic for me. So she's "distressed". Big deal! Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough about how distressed she made me feel! She didn't acknowledge that SHE was the rude librarian and there was NO apology. I guess I just want a meek "I'm sorry, I was so wrong"-sort-of-a-response. I shouldn't have been so nice in my letter. I should have pushed a little harder. I should have made is clear that I knew she was the one who was rude, and not one of her minions.


OK, I'm done ranting about this. Thanks for your nice comments and support, all you nice people out there. I really was feeling so sorry for myself for a couple of days. Sometimes I just feel like I get kicked down day after day as a mom. And the last place I thought that would happen was at my safe and cozy library.
It felt nice to know I had so many people on my side. Thanks.

11 comments:

Kim N said...

I meant to comment when you posted your letter that I thought you did a great job. That is too bad that she is the one that responded to you. Makes you wonder if the others really did see your letter.

Rynell said...

It is anticlimactic. She should have said she was sorry. But I'm still glad you wrote the letter.

the wrath of khandrea said...

wow. there has to be more! i'm so disappointed.

Mary Monster Mary said...

Someone above her should respond. I can't remember if you went over her or not but it's definitely good to have written the letter. Maybe she'll be nicer next time. My library was VERY nice the next time I went in. :)

Anonymous said...

Maybe she doesn't even realize she was the rude librarian? One time a mother I knew had twins and we were helping her out for quite awhile (as we should) and someone said something nasty to her like "Why are we still helping you?" I happened to mention it to the person who said it--not knowing at the time that it was she who said it--and she demanded to know who it was that had been so insensitive. This is the same person who asked me why I was still on crutches just a few days after my ACL surgery. Hello?!

Some of the most obnoxious people I know are also the most oblivious to their own obnoxiousness.

I still hope the higher powers do some major kissing up.

mo said...

I think the phrases "I sincerely regret" and "please accept my heartfelt apology for my extreme rudeness" should have been included in that letter. A mention of resignation due to the realization the she is very ill-suited to her job would have been the icing on the cake. Oh well, that would have been too much to hope for, I guess.

Oscarson Photography said...

I have these 'friends', if you want I can make a call...

Steven Rosbach said...

Huh, I wonder if she's a member of the American Library Association? You can read about their Do's-and-Don'ts for libraries here:

http://www.traditionalvalues.org/modules.php?sid=203

You know what you SHOULD have said? "I'm sorry my kids are so disruptive; Instead of browsing through children's books, we'll go look at some porn on those computers in the center of the library over there."

She'd have been overjoyed.

K kid said...

No, she definitely should have apologized-- profusely. I would send the letter personally to the her boss. Maybe I should be worried because whenever I go to the library I let my two older kids roam free while I browse books for myself-- I guess I'd better watch my back... =]

Amy Lynn said...

OK...so funny that I just commented on the letter before I saw this post. NOW IT IS TIME TO PULL OUT THE NASTY LETTER! Seriously, this is such a lame response from this lady. How pathetic!

Anonymous said...

Just questioning if eBay allows you to sell [url=http://www.ticketchoice.com.au]concert tickets[/url] on the net? Do you know if you'll find any restrictions based on what country you're in?

My parents have just referred to as me and asked if i could "get rid" of their two tickets to some concert as they wont be able to make it as a result of one more family event.

Apart from asking buddies etc, i thought ebay would be a fantastic place to market them.

But whats ebay's policy on selling tickets? Ive heard alot about it within the news but ive forgotten what happened.

and if it matters, the concert is within this coming month

Thanks in advance for your advice.