Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Snowed In

When it snows in the Northwest everything shuts down. Everything.

It first began to snow on Saturday night. By Sunday morning the roads were covered and everything was icy. Sunday church was canceled and we enjoyed a leisurely day at home as a family. (Waverly improvised with the sledding thing, as we don't own any actual sledding devises!)

The kids played in the snow, we tuned into the local station that plays Christmas music 24/7, we warmed ourselves by the fire, we gazed for hours out the front window at the beautiful white flakes fluttering to the ground, we ate yummy leftovers from the previous night's church Christmas party (there were a LOT of leftovers!), and it kind of felt like Christmas... minus the gifts. It was the picture-perfect snow-day! (Alice watched all the fun from the window with me, and wore her cozy slippers by the fire.)On Monday the sky was bright and blue, but the roads were still covered in white stuff and the temperature remained below freezing. The snow was packed down hard. Every street looked like an ice skating rink. And they were just as slippery. Have I mentioned that they don't plow the roads around here? It hardly ever snows, so they don't invest in the equipment. School was canceled and the kids were thrilled. It was another fun day of family-togetherness. Taylor couldn't even drive to work, so he worked from home and spent the day with us.

Tuesday brought more blue skies and freezing temperatures... and another day off from school. Our little pre-Christmas vacation was becoming a little less fun. The house started to turn into a disaster-zone and the kids got bored.

Wednesday morning brought another snow storm, and today we are home for the fourth day in a row. The natives are restless. And I am ready to personally pick up every child and teacher and personally drive them to school tomorrow if that is what it takes for them to open their doors!

Taylor had to go to Southern California today for work. Poor guy. (Can you just hear the sarcasm oozing?) He had to take my car to the airport as it is the only one with chains on the tires. So if I wasn't stuck at home before, I most assuredly am now.

Things aren't looking much better for tomorrow and Friday. In fact, I just checked out the 10-day forecast and it looks like the temperature won't rise above freezing until Christmas Eve. Oh, the irony! It will be raining on Christmas, but no snow. Regardless, it looks like Christmas vacation has started early for the kids. "And mom and dad can hardly wait for school to start again..." ... on January 6! Just 20 days to go!

And we're trying to figure out between the freezing temperatures and the indefinite snow and rain how in the world we're going to move to the cottage as we've planned. At first we were shooting for last Saturday. But as the chair of the activities committee at church, Taylor was too swamped with party preparations all week, and especially on Saturday. (The church Christmas party was a real success! The food was divine, and everyone loved the finger food instead of a sit-down ordeal. The chocolate fountain was a hit with the kids and adults alike. Santa even showed up!)

We set our sights on this Saturday, but all we see is icy, slippery whiteness in the future.

I'm beginning to regret the fact that the only thing we've yet moved to the cottage are the Christmas decorations. Last Monday we even decorated the tree over there. And today that is where it stands, all alone next to a large window, overlooking acres of rolling hills and Christmas tree farms. I can just imagine it with its white lights twinkling and the white snow falling serenely as its backdrop.

It is funny how much it looks like Christmas outside compared to how very much it doesn't look like Christmas inside our house. We don't have a single sprig of holly and I'm beginning to feel a little sorry for myself. Inspired by my sister's creativity, the kids and I made Christmas ornaments and a nativity this morning. (I mean I totally stole this idea from Emily...right down to her artistic style and labeling of the photo.)(I just love Waverly's nativity... complete with the shepherd on the left who apparently fell asleep on his sheep, and the wise man on the right who is so very worshipful... or also sleepy? You choose.)

With no tree we'll have to be a little creative as to where we hang them.

Looks like I've revived the pity party. Anyone want to come party with me? Oh, wait... too much snow for you to get here...

*sad Charlie Brown Christmas music plays*

16 comments:

Kelly(M&M) said...

We are so over the snow also. I don't have a way out once Jeff goes to work, as you know. I am calling you right now, Miss Creative to get your recipe to make ornaments. Thanks for inspiring me!!

LCM said...

I was just thinking of you guys in Sherwood. The girls are making me crazy and I was telling TD that one of the three of us will not survive Christmas Break. And now I feel it could be worse...like over 3 weeks!!

ped crossing said...

The other side of the coin is saying, please just announce the it will be Christmas break early. As a teacher, dealing with the kids after three days of snow days and winter break looming on the horizon gives me cold shivers. My lesson plans are shot anyway. Take pity of the teachers. Make a quick treasure hunt for the kids. Or plan a scavenger hunt that actually has them cleaning up.

Sorry you are stuck at home. It is one thing if you choose to stay home, it is another to know that you don't have a choice.

Anonymous said...

Is it bad that I love when chucrh gets cancelled? That I secretly hope when it snows that I will get to stay home, in my PJ's?

So, I'm loving your little gals slippers. Please tell me you bought those! And I am stealing your nativity craft idea. As in, that's what we're doing on Sunday! Brilliant!

BTW, are you in Sherwood? We almost moved there two years ago. So, so beautiful!!

LCM said...

PS, I love the pictures!

JP said...

I was just going to say: I love all the pictures! :)

I'm so sorry that you guys are stuck. There's only so much TV you can watch!

Suzie Petunia said...

I made the slippers. They have a matching hat, too. I love them and wish she would wear them more!

Emma Jo said...

Oh I just don't even know what to say. I'd like to think that I was sad when the kids left for school, or rejoice in a good snow day of fine togetherness (which they are predicting for us tomorrow) but let's be honest, there is not enough to keep them busy for a full day here at home when we are homebound by ice and cold temperatures. I love your ornaments and the nativity (especially everyone's poses--may it never break into a million pieces.)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mary Monster Mary said...

I could get there if I drove for a week through towns that offer nothing because they close down in Sept.

I loved getting out of school at the first signs of snow as a kid. I was so disappointed when I went to Ricks college and we didn't get snow days. Oh well, I'm pretty sure we'll never have a snow day here. They even play outside for recess up till -10 outside. Oh and they have tons of plows. Sometimes they run at night and sound like dying elephants, well that's what I think they sound like, I don't know for sure. My only encouragment is at least you guys have more daylight. My kids go to school in the dark at 9am and come home in the dark at 3:45.

Mary Monster Mary said...

PS. I too loved those cute little slippers. Those little feet are adorable. Makes me want some more little feet at my house. :)

Rynell said...

I would LOVE a snow day -- but just one! We had a ton of snow yesterday, the roads were awful and my kids were a couple of minutes late to school. THEY GOT TARDY SLIPS! Instead of canceling school or giving them some extra time to make it in safely, they hand out tardy slips?!

And we're due for even more snow today...

K kid said...

I'm with you on the snow days: 1st was awesome, 2nd was pretty good, 3rd was getting REAL old and 4th was SOMEBODY PLEASE LET ME OUT OF HERE. Now I'm having a pity party because the concert for the a cappella ensemble that I co-direct for tonight is canceled. And after TONS of work for our ward choir Christmas program (which was going to be AWESOME, by the way), the prospects for that are pretty grim as well. Sigh.

Lucky Mommy said...

We were stuck inside for 4 days once, without kids! and it was hard. I don't know how you're making it until January 6! I hope you get things over the the cottage, though. It's just too sad thinking about you without any decorations. The only thing not packed up for our move on Jan 1 is our Christmas decorations! Go figure.

angela michelle said...

Yeah, the 4th day would definitely lose its charm!

Once our family got snowed in(in the Northwest) for Thanksgiving. Also the power was out. So we ended up cooking our turkey over the wood-burning stove. I'm sure it wasn't all bliss for my parents, but they succeeded in making us think it was all a treat. And of course now we remember that Thanksgiving above all others.

Carrie Ann said...

At this time of year, and at this time of snowy weather i am SO jealous of your fireplace! I want to come over and cozy up!