Tuesday, January 06, 2009

I miss the interweb ... or do I?

My computer is still not connected to the World Wide Webbernet. Taylor is doing his best. He really is. This is the second night he has stayed up later than he wanted to trying to find a solution to our internet access at our new home. And I am left to ponder: Do I really need it? Is constant, instantaneous access to the internet really a necessity for me? Hmmmm... Taylor's computer (which is a laptop and is only home when he is home) isn't having a problem connecting. Maybe this part-time access isn't such a bad thing for me.

My kitchen is clean.

There are no dishes in my sink.

Every room is somewhat organized.

The bathroom does not smell like urine. (Side note: I am really loving only having one bathroom, as opposed to the 2.5 in our old house. And I'm not even being sarcastic! It really hasn't been that big of a deal to share it with the whole family.)

I've mopped the floor twice this week. And its only Tuesday! I think the novelty of having really pretty laminate flooring in the kitchen is the real reason for my fastidiousness. It is shiny. I likey.

Overall, I am really loving our home. Even the insect-infestation is cute: ladybugs! I mean, if you had to be overrun with any type of bug, wouldn't you want them to be ladybugs? (Should I be concerned about the ladybugs? Is it indicative of a bigger problem? I don't know if I want to know the answer to that...)

"I really ought to be making more soups." Taylor is laying in bed next to me playing cricket on his PSP and this is what he just said to me. It was so random. I just had to share. It made me laugh out loud. I'll let you know if there was a point to it or not. Hold on... let me ask him...

me: "Why should you be making more soups?

Taylor: "Because they're so good."

I haven't finished chuckling over the soup thing. Maybe because I don't get very much entertainment without access to the internet all day. That's not true. I have a tv. With no cable. I expirament for hours on end with the rabbit-ears antanea - trying to see how I can get the best possible full-color "snow" on channels 6, 8 and 10. If I stand in a certain place I can even get the sound to come through on channel 5. When it isn't raining. When you're having fun like this... who needs the internet?!

18 comments:

ped crossing said...

But who doesn't love the internet. It is a great time waster, but all that info and entertainment in one location. Sounds like everything else is going swimmingly!

Emma Jo said...

We have a ladybug issue too...just upstairs in one room. The windowsill is like a ladybug graveyard. Weird. Did you know that the darker in color they are, the older they are?

Molly said...

As long as you write a new post every few days you have my approval to spend as little time on the interweb as possible.

Carrie Ann said...

You MUST have an inter web. Think of your public. What would we do without you?

mo said...

You probably won't get to read this comment for a day or two but I have to say that maybe it's all good. You have gotten so much done. I on the other hand am writing this comment when I should be writing a paper. I think lady bugs are good. They eat aphids. Have you seen even one aphid in your house? People even buy ladybugs to release into their gardens and you got them free...except they're not in your garden. Better than cockroaches I would say! We need pictures when you get things all set internet-wise. I think Taylor is wise. I need to make more soups, too. Enough randomness, back to my paper.

Abby said...

That was thought-provoking, AND entertaining. You guys are funny. I likey. And you're on to something with the smaller house. I was just telling James yesterday how manageable our two bedroom apartment was to keep clean! Truth be known, we kind of all use the same bathroom in this house too...

Lucky Mommy said...

We went a few days without the internet too and I was having similar feelings. Where did all of that extra time come from? On the other hand, how are all of my friends doing and who can relate to what I'm experiencing? I do love being connected. BTW, I'm eating a bowl of soup right now and it IS so good! Welcome me to your time zone, we're here in CA!

mo said...

I made soup today for our Sunday meal...inspired by Taylor's comment.

Amy Lynn said...

Eat more soup...I may just add that to my non-existent list of new year's resolutions. I actually miss our twin home...it seemed simple and much easier AND had fabulous access to the river trail. I can't wait to see your new home. I love your new lifestyle...I really do. I envy downsizing and taking a little of the complication out of life (like cleaning 2.5 bathrooms instead of one!). I don't know if I could live without the internet...probably a sign that I should try it sometime.

I didn't know you could have a ladybug issue. That is really cool!

Mary Monster Mary said...

It can be such a blessed thing to have no tv and no internet. We've pretty much been TV free our whole marriage. It was your house i got to get glimpse of the fun decorating shows. :) I know I waste so much time on the internet though. We also like to watch movies though we've slowed down a lot. Oh and I agree with Taylor, you should be making or eating more soups. They are so good. I have a really yummy asparagus one with a paramsean custard that I like come spring time.

Maybe I should free myself from the internet too. Hmmm tempting.

Oh yeah, a note on the lady bugs, we had lots at our cabin and they can cause problems in your air conditioning which you probably aren't using right now but if you get too many in there I guess it can mess it up. Otherwise I think they are pretty friendly.

Lucy said...

I miss Suzie Petunia.

Alisa said...

I think I'd go crazy without an internet connection. If I were stranded on a deserted island, that is what I'd want...that and a laptop. But, I do know, it's easier to get other important stuff done when the distraction isn't there. Enjoy it while you can!

Anonymous said...

You may not miss the Interweb, but I miss you missing the Interweb. Your posts make me smile.

Jadie said...

I want Monster Mary's asparagus and parmesian cheese recipe. That's sounds like a little bit o' heaven. So, Monster Mary, if you read this, please post!

mo said...

Uh...Suzie? Hello? Where are you? You are missed here!!!

afro said...

I'm sure you are busy, and this is by no means a pressure to return...to posting before you feel ready. seriously--cause we all have our avenues to expression...

this comment is meant as a virtual: "wish i was closer so i could offer to help in the transition of the move and the new year roll on through activities"

thinking of you and sending powerful--stay with it and keep standing thoughts your way-

-afro

Lucky Mommy said...

Really? Three weeks with no post from Suzie? I hope your interweb is set up and that you're not all sick as dogs or something.

Anonymous said...

Where are you? Please return promptly....I miss you entries.
You are the best writer....