Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Fevers and Lumberjacks

These two things have nothing to do with each other. But I thought it was worth mentioning that I have a fever of 102 (!!!) so I can get a few comments of well-wishes and "bless-your-little-heart"s. Moms aren't supposed to get sick. I'm aching and I've got chills. I'm coughing up some nasty stuff and everything tastes yucky. It wasn't more than a week ago that I was thinking I was one good flu away from my target weight. You gotta be careful what you wish for... At least none of the kids have it... yet.

And now about the lumberjacks. A couple weeks ago several big (BIG!) trees were cut down around the cottage. Most of them were sick and needed to be put out of their misery. The guys who came to do the job were good at what they did, and one in particular was quite a character. He certainly looked like a lumberjack:

I had a brief conversation with him once when I was going out to my car and somehow within 30 seconds he managed to let me know that he and his wife had adopted a child from Romania(?) who was severely emotionally unstable... which resulted in his wife spending time in a mental institution herself. Seriously. What could I have possibly said in passing? I don't remember. I didn't even catch his name. But Mr. Lumberjack man was really good at cutting down trees.I miss this particular tree. It was big and beautiful and right outside my bedroom window. But at least we won't have to rake its leaves next fall. It was all pretty exciting for the kids to watch. I bet you'll think so, too.

11 comments:

AmyJune said...

You must have had the "spill your guts sign on" when you talked to him. I hope you feel better soon.

katyvee said...

I love the "THAT, was cool." comment int he background. cause afterall.. it WAS cool. Who needs Playstation when ya got lumberjacks? Feel better soon-- cause NOT feeling good, stinks.

michaelstubbs said...

The only thing cooler than cutting down a tree that size, is cutting down a tree that size that is on fire. Really.

amydear said...

Bless your heart! I hope you feel better. I had the stomach flu two weeks ago and reached my target weight -- for about 2 days. The view from the cottage looks beautiful!

Abby said...

How do they know where it will fall? I am kind of fascinated. And who knew that lumberjacks were so eager to open their hearts--did ya give him a passalong card?

Abby said...

Oh, and bless it's heart.

mo said...

Poor Baby!!!! Bless Its Heart!!!!I hope you reach your target weight AND get better soon. The lumberjack action was pretty cool!

Lucky Mommy said...

Bless your heart! I hate being sick and I hate that housework and kids can't wait for you to recoop. The cottage looks amazing. I am not talented at decorating or organizing and am so impressed with how cute you've made it! I hope you're feeling better.

Emma Jo said...

Bless your heart indeed!! (I say in between sniffles myself...who am I kidding, full on snot coming out of my right nostril.) I hope you feel better really really soon and perhaps the lumberjack just knew that you would be a tender, listening soul. He wasn't suggesting that you take his emotionally unstable daughter, was he? Sometimes, a mental institution sounds like a pretty relaxing place...bathrobes, medication and Jeopardy? I think I watch too many movies.

Molly said...

I had to laugh because I got the opportunity to talk to that lumberjack(which BTW, I think they're called "aborists" these days) while I was dropping Campbell off at your place. He was quite the character.
Sorry about being sick. Have you weighed yourself yet? Maybe that will perk you up a bit. Oh but then your appetite may come back ...

Amy Lynn said...

Lumberjack entertainment...Oregon really has it all. And I love the random story...I get those stories when I go to Wal-mart and ask the check-out lady asks "how are you?" and I say, "Fine. How are you?" and then I hear the most horrific, most entertaining, most disturbing stories. I'm trying to be more careful with my "tell me everything" face!