Amy had it spot-on. I just had "Stay-at-home"syndrome the other day. It really is exhausting how many ups and downs and emotions rear their head on any given day when you're caring for so many people and their emotions. And besides that, I was feeling really homesick for my family. So much has been going on, and I feel so far away.
So first, about the homefront:
My tweener is supposedly entering puberty, so I expect this kind of moodiness from her. And I'm used to it from her... she's been moody since she was 18 months old.
Henry is almost 8 and starting to act a lot like Waverly did at that age. He's just moody and needs lots of love and attention to get him out of his funk.
Oscar is 5 and just wants to disagree with everything. He's exploring his boundaries and mine. Getting him to do something as simple as put on a pair of pants so he won't be late for preschool usually takes nogotiations I imagine are something akin to working out international peace treaties.
At least Alice is easy to read. When she's difficult it meanss she is tired. Insert binki, bottle and blankie. A nap solves every problem. The End.
Thank heavens I have the most even-keeled husband on the planet. He is able to ride the waves and calm a lot of storms that brew in the home. He would do anything to help me get through. And he does. There are many days when he walks in the door and immediately recognizes that the household (me) is about to reach a breaking point. Kids need things. Dinner needs to be made. Messes need immediate attention. And this is what he always says,
"What can I do to help you?"
How simple, and yet utterly perfect his reaction to the chaos can be. What he is asking is "What could I do for you this very minute that would make your life easier?" In fact, sometimes he does word it in exactly that way. Sometimes he takes over making dinner. Sometimes he takes the child needing attention aside to fulfill that need. Sometimes he tells me to take a "mom time out" and lay down for a few minutes. Sometimes he goes and buys me Ben & Jerry's Phish Phood. He is able to make everything all better. Or at least a whole lot easiery. Do-able. Enjoyable.
My man gave himself a birthday gift on March 5. He started an exercise program and has really stuck to it. I can already see and feel (rrrrraaarrrr) a difference. I am so proud of him. He can do anything he puts his mind to. And if he doesn't know how to do it, he researches how to do it and gives it a shot. I am very attracted to this kind of confidence. He has learned how to not let this trait get him into trouble, and it is becoming more and more of a tremendous strength and blessing in our marriage.
Yesterday we had a meeting with all of the men and women during the last hour of church. Guest speakers spoke about serving in the temple, and the blessings that flow from serving there, and from keeping the promises we make there to Heavenly Father. It made me think a lot about what we've started here together. Our own little family is going to turn into something larger. Something I can't even begin to imagine right now. These four little people who are currently moody and need a lot of guidance are going to grow up. (Yes! They really will!) They will go many places, do many things, and influence the lives of others in ways I can't fathom. And their children will do the same. And their's... and their's... For a small, blessed moment I saw the beauty and the complexity the future would bring and I knew that there was nothing greater I could do than to be at home with them every day... weathering their mini-storms and helping them navigate the waters that are brand new to them. There are times when I cannot see the good I am doing by being their mother. I am so grateful for the rare and small moments I am given - a gift - of rememberance. Remembering what I know is at the truth at the very center of what I am trying to do with my life.
And all of these thoughts swirl in my head as I am continually praying for my sister. All of the realizations I felt because of the Spirit that touched me during that meeting also reminded me of why my wonderful, patient sister is going through all that she is as she is trying to bring children to their family. I remembered why the struggle will be worth it. I wish so much that she and her husband alone didn't have to bear the weight of this burden. There is a lot of physical pain that is accompanying the emotional. And the pain of patience - of grasping for it and hanging on - is only one of the many layers they must wade through. Life is so unfair... I have to not only remind my children on a daily basis... I remind myself, too. But I truly believe that the more bitter our pain may be now, the sweeter our joy will be someday. I hope her joy is found sooner rather than later. I really do. Hang on, my sweet sister. You are the most selfless, strong person I know. Only good, sweet things can possibly be your permanent reward. I know you would give anything in your power to help someone else in your situation. And I hope you know there are countless friends and family who would do the same for you. For now, we will continue to give all we can: our faith, our prayers and our hope. And if there is ever anything more I can give, it is yours.
15 comments:
Thanks for making me cry Sarah! It's a good cry though. I so appreciate how you can put into words so beautifully what you're feeling-what a lot of us are feeing actually. Does it make you feel better that Henry is a perfect angel when he's at our house? Those strong personalities are going to get those kids far.
I'm crying too. I know better than to tink they are being "ignored" in this trial--during a time where they are both doing so much to serve others around them...and yet I cry.
I have to tell you that we have a very effective "game" to help Cubby get dressed. He answers quiz questions and gets an article of clothing when he answers correctly (as in, "you are playing for your left sock. The question is...etc. Ding ding ding--you have earned your left sock, etc.") Would he go for that? Learning AND getting dressed, right? I had a weird stay at home day the other day too. I don't know that I've ever had a day like that. Weird. (It was compounded by being completely out of money for the week, which always makes me feel a bit trapped.) Makes me super excited for what's to come, eh? Puberty stinks.
That.. my dear.. was lovely.
Just beautiful. It sounds like my latest "A Tad Bit Overwhelmed" entry-- and makes me realize, though so different.. and so far away.. how very similiar our lives and experiences are as moms.. as wives.. as sisters. I think we should title this coming together of sorts.. this internet therapy and sharing of emotion through blogging. A mix of bonding and blogging, maybe?'Blonding'? 'Bogging'?
Kay.. maybe we'll stick with 'Blogging' alone.. but will now give it the respect and rightful place as a form of sisterhood-building that it is!!
(Is it possible for ANY human to ramble ANY longer than I??)
Anyway. Enjoyed it so.
And last thought.. high-five Taylor. You rock.
Those words of Taylor's are what every husband needs to say when they sense things are not well. You are a lucky girl to have him. On my homefront I deal with teenage girl emotions on oh, an hourly basis. Seriously, when she texts me I'm afraid to open it because I never know what I'm going to get. And yet there are those moments where she stops in her tracks and gives me a hug and lets me know how much she loves me, and I truly cherish that. Hang in there!
Truly beautiful post. Your empathy and love for your sister make me teary-eyed. I KNOW that you would do anything for her. Your children are so normal--yeah, I know, do they have to be quite SO normal? I'm glad you have a good husband and an eternal perspective. I think you are doing a great job!
Pass the tissues. You are amazing. I'm glad the eternal perspective came at just the right moment.
You so eloquently put what the rest of us feel. We get so caught up in day to day frustrations that it is easy to miss the eternal perspective. Thanks for that reminder. You have a wonderful family, your immediate family that I know well and love with all my heart, and your extended family that I continue to be amazed with as I meet each one. I, too, and praying for Carrie. This is a tough time for all of you, with such exciting possibilities. Thanks for sharing your emotions so honestly. I am so glad you are my friend.
Thanks for a great post and sharing what so many of us feel. I often find it overwhelming to deal with the rise and fall of emotions of all of the little people in my care. It's exhausting and easy to forget the long-term view and that maybe-just maybe- we will eventually (hopefully!) see the good result of all of the day-in, day-out care and guidance.
I loved this post, thanks. You are amazing as are your fun and wonderful sisters and family.
I guess we're in for it once they hit 8? Well Jack will be 8 this summer and he's starting to test us and is a bit more on the emotional side. He's learning a few things the hard way and so am I. I hate feeling like the bad guy but darnit someone's gotta teach him before he goes out into the world thinking it revolves around him. :) He seems to think he's exempt for family rules lately.
Beautifully said...from start to finish. I think every woman/mom/wife could relate to the feelings...I just wish every woman had your perspective. The world would be such a different place if each individual could understand the profound work we do everyday as mothers and how it affects the future. And I love the depth of your compassion for your sisters. I'm so glad you are MY sister! (Wanna trade kids for awhile? I bet you'd get mine and realize how good you got it...if Matthew comes home with one more "choice" word in his vocabulary, I'm sending him down to the local bar. He'd fit in better...)
That is such a great perspective. Lately it seems we have been trying to focus on the here and now to help us enjoy our days with our family...and while that is still so important, it is so good to step back and see what it will bring in the future as well. Thanks for that perspective. That was a good thing to hear today.
You have such a way with words. And by the way, I can't see or hear the word bittersweet without thinking of you and freshman year.
Me too, AmyJune.
I read this post the other day and keep thinking about the "What can I do for you?" question. My husband and I use it, but now I'm looking for ways to use it even more. It's the gift that keeps on giving because it's SO WONDERFUL to be on the receiving end of that question that it just leaves me looking for chances to use it again!
I love you.
Post a Comment