So here is what it looks like:
Sometimes it comes in just small patches, and at its worst they are huge, puffy welts that spread very quickly.
And here are the facts:
-I first noticed it on the morning of Sunday, September 13, although Waverly says she had felt itchy for a couple of days.
-It has affected every part of her body: face, neck, belly, back, legs and feet. Though it seems to appear first on her arms and legs, followed by her face and then mid-section if we don't get Benadryl in her fast enough.
-We do not have any new pets.
-We are not using any new detergents or cleaners in the house.
-It occurs any time of day. For a while I thought it was more prevalent in the evening. But lately she's been breaking out mostly during school.
-Benadryl makes it go away. And a huge bonus is that it doesn't make Waverly sleepy either.
Here are some theories that we have yet to prove:
-Waverly is allergic to middle school. (I am willing to support this theory and pull her out.)
-When it happens at school it is usually during her science class (allergic to science? Being my offspring, it would be more likely that she was allergic to math, but science is pretty close) which is right after her lunch period. I've looked into what kind of cleansers they use in her science class on the tables. (Generic Target antibacterial wipes.) And I think I need to go investigate further what kind of cleansers (if any... ew.) they use in the lunch room.
-Can puberty cause this? The doctor says "No". But he uses a lot more words.
-Stress-induced? Waverly says she loves middle school. And to be honest, I am less than impressed with the lack of homework she brings home. Do I stress her out? No more than I have for the last 11 years.
OK, people. I'm counting on you. You have never failed me!
Now tell me: What is causing the hives on my little girl??!
11 comments:
I was allergic to middle school. You already cancelled out all of my ideas. But...I would switch to a dye-free, perfume-free detergent just to test the results. I wouldn't doubt that a kid's skin could become more sensitive during puberty. Stranger things have happened. Does she wear different clothes for gym class? Does she wear a perfume or a body spray?
Good luck!
i would definitely take her to an allergist/specialist. or a different pediatrician for a second opinion. other thoughts (you probably found on the internet already: "The most common cause of acute hives, particularly in children, is a viral infection. This may even be true if a child has not had any obvious recent illness. Acute hives can be related to other infections, such as strep throat, athlete’s foot and urinary tract infections." from http://allergies.about.com/od/faq/f/causeofhives.htm
Also, remember when Grandpa was getting a swollen lip/eye a few years ago? He went through all the tests, etc., but it turned out it was something that just went away after awhile. The episodes got further and further apart, then they left. The same thing happened to my friend -- apparently it was just something her body had to work through.
sorry if this isn't helpful. and that it's so long. good luck!!
Oh my, this is just like last week's episode of House...but the reward was more like $25,000.
Hives, hmmm, my medical background says middle school.
With fall coming on, maybe a new seasonal allergy?
Really, no idea. Poor baby.
We've had 2 of our kids look like that. Honestly, our doctors never did bother to find out what it was. Benadryl helped, but never took it and kept it away. They gave the kids steroids and with in a day or 2 - NORMAL SKIN, though still a tad puffy. See, we were told only to worry about the actual CAUSE if the steroids take it completely away, and then they end up having the same reaction. That's when you have to limit activities, foods, etc.
(Robbie, her entire face and neck swelled up that she didn't even look like my little girl. If I ever find the picture I'll send it so you see.)
Hope Waverly feels better soon.
I TOTALLY had the exact same case of those right after having Sophie (By the way.. extra pregnancy pounds are NOT complimented by puffy eyes and lips. Not my best look.)Never figured out why.. just took steroids and they vanished after a bit. Only time I've ever had anything like it.. SO WEIRD.. and so, so, ITCHY. I vote steroids.
Allergic to her brothers...that's what I expected her to say. Keep her home, eat lots of ice-cream, watch girlie movies, go out to lunch and shop at Target. That is my perscription. What do doctors know?! (I shouldn't have said that...last time I took a doctor's name in vain he made sure I paid dearly for it!)
Poor baby...it looks so itchy! I immediately thought "stress induced?" (science stress-induced is even better), but have you gone to an allergist yet? We went through all of that with one of ours. I know this doesn't help, but it's nothing a good piece of chocolate can't cure (0r at least to take your mind off of it all!).
I had bad hives in high school. Apparently it was stress induced.
Hives discourage me. I am sorry. They discourage me bc they are such a mystery. Poor Lindsay (old roomy) has gotten them a few months after each baby and they stay--through millions of treatments--for about a year. I am frustrated by hives. And I know how awful it is to itch. It can make you feel insane.
So how's that for positivity? Discouragement and no cure...but I have lots of sympathy.
Has there been any new thing she's using--make up, perfume, etc?
All I have to say is allergy testing. We did that with Max and found out he had some food allergies. We eliminated those things from his diet and bye-bye hives. He's outgrown a lot of those allergies now, except for the nut allergy. I also use Tide free (unscented, etc) and am very careful to use unscented soaps also because all my kids have some degree of skin sensitivity. I'm sure you've heard all this before. Hives sure are annoying. (Oh and my son often gets hives from swimming pools also, WEIRD. I think it is a chemical sensitivity.)
It could be Urticaria sp? Its an overactive skin cell producing condition or something. I got diagnosed in college after a breakout probably due to stress or lack of sleep. Haven't had it much since. Three weeks is a long time! Hope it gets figured out.
Post a Comment