
These tiny babies smile with their entire, chubby faces - and sometimes even their arms and legs get involved - flailing involuntarily with glee. It reminds me of the song I can't get out of my head these days:
"Sunshine and lollipops and rainbows - everything that's wonderful is what I feel when we're together!...."
(Can you name the movie that features this song? It is currently Alice's favorite. She watches it every morning. And I like it, too!)
So Joe's current nickname is "Average Joe" due to the fact that he has gone all the way from the 5th percentile in weight at his 2-week checkup to 50th percentile at 2 months. I was kind of worried about him not putting on weight in the first few weeks, so I consider his chubby legs and overall chunkiness a real victory.
*Sarah stands up to bow and accept your applause*
Anyone who has nursed a baby will understand. This ain't easy work! And it is so very... personal. I have a lot invested in this "project" emotionally and physically. I suppose anyone who has devoted themselves to any kind of "project" that requires their time and attention (not to mention use of their body) 24 hours a day will "get it". I am just supremely lucky that my "project" gets to be this adorable, lovable baby. Now that I have older children I know full well that his baby smiles will be all the reward for my now and future efforts I will get for many years to come. Between now and the Mother's Day after they have their own first child there will be a dry spell of genuine "thanks". Not that I'm in this motherhood thing for the gratitude from my children. But it sure is nice when they appreciate the things I do for them. They think I'm kidding, but when they ask me what I would like for a gift, be it for birthdays or Christmas or whatever... I always ask for "sweet and happy children". There is nothing more rewarding in all the world than a sweet, happy, and grateful child. Ahhhh... I'm suddenly looking forward to Mother's Day!
So Joe's current nickname is "Average Joe" due to the fact that he has gone all the way from the 5th percentile in weight at his 2-week checkup to 50th percentile at 2 months. I was kind of worried about him not putting on weight in the first few weeks, so I consider his chubby legs and overall chunkiness a real victory.
*Sarah stands up to bow and accept your applause*
Anyone who has nursed a baby will understand. This ain't easy work! And it is so very... personal. I have a lot invested in this "project" emotionally and physically. I suppose anyone who has devoted themselves to any kind of "project" that requires their time and attention (not to mention use of their body) 24 hours a day will "get it". I am just supremely lucky that my "project" gets to be this adorable, lovable baby. Now that I have older children I know full well that his baby smiles will be all the reward for my now and future efforts I will get for many years to come. Between now and the Mother's Day after they have their own first child there will be a dry spell of genuine "thanks". Not that I'm in this motherhood thing for the gratitude from my children. But it sure is nice when they appreciate the things I do for them. They think I'm kidding, but when they ask me what I would like for a gift, be it for birthdays or Christmas or whatever... I always ask for "sweet and happy children". There is nothing more rewarding in all the world than a sweet, happy, and grateful child. Ahhhh... I'm suddenly looking forward to Mother's Day!
9 comments:
First off I'm just going to send "my readers" over to your blog because we are living parallel lives right now and you put things into words so much better than I do.
1. Cal has the same little football shirt_"cuddler huddler" my kids really got a kick out of that one.
2. The Sunshine, lollipops song is from Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs. I also can't get it out of my head and it is also Jack current fav.
3. I have been feeling the same way about nursing a baby.It is quite the project.
4. Those smiles...heart melting.
Anyways, thanks for putting into words many of the thoughts I've been having.
He truly is sweet baby goodness. I love the smiling and flailing limbs. And we just happened to have watched that very movie this very evening.
I get it. You have my applause, praise and admiration. I love that you are savoring every moment...savor some for me.
Those baby smiles are the most rewarding thing ever! Our little Ellie is a whole-body-smiler herself, and kicks and squirms with joy...you can't help but shower them in loves and kisses!
He is adorable! How fun!
Post as many smiling Joes as you would like--who can resist?! He is beautiful and has developed his own look. He is not a Henry OR an OSCAR. He is a JOE! I want to own that movie. I do not. Hm. You have made me excited for my own little smiling, flailing chubby/average bundle! I needed that!
And bless you for the nursing. I am a fan, and I know how wretched it is, despite its goodness. Defniitely a major sacrifice of self. Way to go!
What a darling boy! Those smiles are so precious because they are so hard earned! Way to go nursing a hungry boy up 48% points! I totally understand how it is so personal a victory. I'm glad you're feeling so happy and getting to nurse him. Keep the pictures coming, they make us all smile!
Hooray for Joe! He's chunky! Baby smiles are the best. They are so validating.
those are some great pictures. Made my day better.
Post a Comment