Friday, September 24, 2010

Tree Hugger

I'm in love with watching Alice play in the apple trees outside my kitchen window.  It is killing me that I can't find my camera battery charger. There are so many moments I want to capture but cannot. Every once in a while I am able to quickly squeeze a little "juice" out of the remaining battery power by turning the camera on and snapping a shot as fast as I can before the camera turns itself off.  Today I was lucky enough to capture these:



Ah, my little tree hugger! She does love to run wild outside.  Shoes are such a burden to her, so she runs out the door as quickly as she can so I don't have time to insist she sit down and put them on.  She is half angel, half stinker.  But, definitely 100% nature-lover.

I daydream just about every day now about our next living space.  The cottage is feeling a little cramped these days with a tweener who needs her own room, a baby who needs to move out of my room, and three other kids in between. I've become a craigslist house-rental-stalker.  I am trying to remind myself that the "I'll be happy when..." statement is always a fallacy.  Besides, there isn't a home that I know of (in our price range) that has this kind of outdoor space for the kids to play.  And the view!  And what about our lovely laying hens? And Taylor's dream of raising a couple of pigs?

Is it true that "Home is where the heart is"?  Well, if it is, then my tree hugger's heart and home certainly is here.

7 comments:

mo said...

Her Uncle Chip would be proud! I hope you find just the right place--be patient, it's out there!

Oscarson Photography said...

You MUST find something with a bit of land. We someone in the family to. But pigs... don't get pigs. They smell. I'm not talkin' about regular livestock stink. They are a serious odor offense.

I love that your daughter is a nature bug. I hope that never changes no matter where you end up.

Kelly(M&M) said...

Those pictures get me so excited to join you out in that beautiful land! So, don't be too anxious to leave, alright? I am excited to be your neighbor soon!

Julie said...

Nothing better than kids in barefeet climbing trees-- that is the life!!

Emma Jo said...

I'm thinking that Taylor and the boys need to get to work on some kind of "Swiss Family Robinson" thing. Especially the part where just days after getting marooned they surprise their mother with the amazing, multi tiered living quarters, complete with pipe organ. You can tell Taylor you don't need a pipe organ and maybe it could be done sooner.

Megan said...

What a cutie. It makes me think of climbing on Grandma Green's apricot trees. Those were the days!

Abby said...

Oh it is so true--your outdoor surroundings are such a plus to tight living quarters. I daydream all the time too. I daydream about sending my kids out into a yard like yours. Their imaginations would run wild and they would know a little of the kind of childhood I had, as a horse, a Native American, a hippy, a neanderthal, a pioneer, etc, etc.
I used to love nature before I loved in hot places. I loved it again when I was in OR. Got room for another 5 people?
Two words: family compound. Craigslist THAT!