"But how can one possibly read a (post) with no pictures?" asked Alice.An excellent question. Can anyone recommend a good camera I can buy?
Today I signed up Henry, Oscar and Alice for Taekwondo classes. It turns out one of their new teachers went to school with Oscar's teacher from Sherwood. It's a small world after all. This is going to be our sure-fire way to get out of the apartment regularly. You have got to see Alice in that little uniform with her ringlets bouncing around her face as she shouts, "Hi-Ya!" and strikes a fighting pose. She swears that she will not wear anything else this summer, and I think I believe her. She is sleeping in it this very moment. Part way through the class one of the native Korean instructors came over and asked me, "Girl or boy?" pointing to Alice. This was the first time anyone had ever asked me that. Took me off guard. "Girl." I said. "She VERY strong!" Yes, indeed. If he only knew!
Waverly leaves in the morning for Girls Camp. She is really excited. I'm kind of jealous. Sounds like a nice vacation right now. When you were 12 years old would you have been so thrilled to be going to camp without ever having met ANYONE there? OK, she saw the girls last week at church. Seriously! I would be terrified. My girl is amazing. Nothing scares her (except maybe a rogue wave at the beach...). She is the most social, friendly, not awkward 12 year old I have ever known. She has prepared very carefully by gathering all of the supplies on her camp list, and most importantly, by creating bracelets and other girly crafty things for the friends she is about to make. I have supplied her with ample duct tape in her favorite colors for the week. She is going to be just fine. But I will miss her.
Here is something. The water tastes super gross here. After the first 3 or 4 days I realized I was becoming kind of dehydrated because I was subconsciously not drinking water... only soda. (Yah, reeeeeal good for me.) Who knew that right after my Oregon friends, Oregon water would be the thing I missed the most. So what kind of filter works best, people? I can't keep killing mother earth with all of these Kirkland water bottles. And I've tried adding Crystal Light to the tap water. Blech!
On Saturday we took the kids to Knott's Berry Farm. I love a good roller coaster, and I was surprised to realize that my kids have never really been on one... except the little one at Oaks Park. I don't think that really counts. :) I was also very surprised to realize that my two oldest were pretty much terrified to go on the coasters. But 7-year-old Oscar was NOT! He happily accompanied me on the scariest rides and didn't even scream once. (All pictures in this post have been stolen from random places on the interwebs. NOT from my camera. Lost, remember?)
We did this:

Henry went on this one, too. Somehow it was less scary because everyone gets soaked at the end. Go figure.
And eventually I got the three oldest to try this one:

And just for the record, they LOVED it and went again. My kids never cease to amaze me. We spent 12 hours in the park, mostly standing in long (hot!) lines, but completely enjoying ourselves. On such a hot summer day, there was a feast for the eyes of strangers' flesh and tattoos. There isn't too much else to do while standing in those lines other than de-code the tattoos and play the "I wonder why....?" game. It isn't like Disneyland where there are characters running around entertaining the masses. Knott's version of the Disney characters is Snoopy and friends. And my kids were like.... who????

Yah, not the main attraction.
No outside food is allowed in the park, and for a late lunch we indulged in an all-you-can-eat meal in one of the only sit-down, air-conditioned places in the park. I tried really hard not to make a gagging noise as I handed over $99.84 for this one very mediocre meal. "Mediocre" is kind. I had to try really hard to enjoy that meal. I mostly enjoyed the AC. Oh, and just as we started eating, Oscar tripped over his own feet and smacked his chin on a chair. There was blood and a paramedic with oodles of questions for us. Those people sure don't want us to sue them. Let's say that part of that $99.84 went to cover medical expenses in the restaurant. We got a free bandaid out of it. That makes me feel much better. And, oh, Oscar was fine. He gets the award for being the most difficult child to figure out: screams hysterically over a tiny cut and whimpers about it for a good hour. DOES NOT blink at a 300-foot free-fall. He keeps me guessing.

Don't tell my kids, but I was secretly glad that this had not yet opened. I think I would have wet myself.
9 comments:
Your posts/FB comments sure have me missing California! You are right about the water. Yuck. When we lived there we ended up just buying drinking water by the gallon at the grocery store. Not very cost effective (but you can recycle them and get some change back!), but definitely worth it. Hope you figure out something that works for you.
You guys are brave! I would not ride any of the rides!
Yeah, Disney rides are much more mellow. We are actually already back. I am back-posting right now. I sure wish I knew you were close, because we would have stopped by. See, this is another reason I should just tell people I am going on vacation.
However, I plan to crash one of your family reunions sometime anyway. I am sure there is a rendezvous in our future.
I'm the one who volunteers to hold the stuff while everyone else does the scarey ride thing. You guys are very brave. I am laughing at the image of Alice doing martial arts! Watch out world!!! You may be uleashing a super-power!
Tell W. I am very proud of her resilience! She is truly amazing!
That sounds like a fun day at Knotts! Glad we helped Oscar find his love of upside down! Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks and have some fun- California style! I love that all 3 kids are doing Tae Kwan Do!
Waverly is uh-mazing! I am a chicken too. I hope she has the best, most fabulous time. You could get a Brita pitcher or one of those that you can attach to the faucet, that would probably be the easiest. The water in Texas is nasty too! We religiously change our refrigerator water filter.
I'm glad you're keeping busy. I keep thinking "The two years will go quickly, you'll see." This stint in CA will be over quickly and it looks like you're going to enjoy it the best you can, if you can avoid more of those $100 restaurant bills! Yikes! Glad Waverly's ok from the beach, sorry you're missing your role in Sherwood. That is the hardest part about moving - no one knows your talents and you don't feel useful. But look how you're keeping those kids busy! It won't be long until someone notices and puts you to work in TX. Now, enjoy a bath (we don't have a tub either) and some cable TV and a Klondike bar for me.
"I'll thiiiink of yoooooou...." I almost didn't catch that one. ;)
Yes, I am trying hard to enjoy the moment. My kids are making that very difficult right now!
After our last trip to Disneyland, I've decided to try and limit how much I can be price gauged at one place. I can only ride Space Mountain a couple of times, eat a mediocre $10.00 hamburger once, and look at tube tops and tatoos for so long. But the kids love it...what can you do? You really are having a fabulous summer of fun!
Post a Comment