Monday, August 01, 2011

Self Conscious



Here is something.  I am sometimes very self-conscious about my kids' behavior and my parenting skilz in general when we are in public.  Or if we are just in front of anybody really.  I hate that.  I want to be the kind of person who doesn't care what other people think, especially about my performance in my chosen profession (motherhood).  But here is the fact:  I often feel like I am not very good at my chosen profession. I try. Mostly.  Mostly I try really hard.  I try to be easy on myself, too.  But I feel like the moment I go easy on myself someone is looking over my shoulder and wondering, "Why does she have so many kids? She clearly can't handle them!"  I wish I was a rock star mom. But I think rock star moms are probably just a myth.  The perfect mom is an illusion you find on blogs. I know a lot of blogging moms who consciously or subconsciously make their lives look ideal, charming, quaint, uh... happy. But I know I'm just seeing the good stuff; the stuff they want to share. We usually only take out the camera when we are smiling.   I know that is true.  But somehow this doesn't stop me from being self-conscious.  I try to show the real stuff on my blog so there are no pretenses about what my life is really like.  But I am inclined to only post the most flattering pictures of myself and stuff like that.  So no blog is unsanitized.  Including mine.  Here I'll post a really awful picture of myself as a gesture of me attempting to "keep it real".

There. That wasn't so hard. I have some much worse ones somewhere. I'll try to dig them up...

Back to where I was, if that was anywhere to begin with...  No matter how much I tell myself that it doesn't matter what other people think, or that most people deal with the same kind of insecurities, I can't help it.  I feel self conscious.

Part of the reason why I love family so much is like that quote: "Sisters are friends that know everything about you and love you anyway." Or something like that.  Well, ain't that the truth?  But I haven't lived near any of my immediate family for over 8 years. So when I come into town with my brood, it is kind of like meeting me for the first time in some ways.  What are the rules of your house?  What is OK with you? Do you eat out of the kitchen? Are you OK with kids making messes? What is "out of bounds"?  Is "stupid" a bad word in your house?  What time is bedtime?  How do you handle a misbehaving child? How much misbehavior are you comfortable ignoring?  Do you insist that your baby or toddler share?  How do you reward your children? How do you punish your children?  Is it OK if your kids have sugar?  How about a sip or two of Dr. Pepper?  

Clearly there are as many ways to "parent" as there are parents. So even when it comes to people as close as my siblings, and friends that are as close as siblings, I feel self-conscious about my parenting because it sometimes differs from their's.  So imagine, if you will, what it was like for me to leave my litter with my sister Abby for 5 days and 4 nights.  The way the timing worked out, we weren't all together to let the kids acclimate to each other and new authority figures before Taylor and I headed out to Austin to look for a house.

The first text I received from Abby the first day was something like, "I had to physically carry Oscar to a time-out."  Oiy vay.   OK. This is not unusual for Oscar.  I was just wishing ("wishing upon a star!") that he would either 1) be like a deer in the headlights and just go along with whatever Abby asked of him as his temporary guardian, or 2) miraculously have excellent behavior for her the entire time.  

A second text from Abby said something like, "I would seriously consider counseling for Oscar."

It was actually kind of comforting to hear someone voice this.  When I'm in the thick of it, I can't see what is normal and what is not sometimes.  It is true, Oscar is unpredictable.  No, that's wrong. He predictably gets out of control regularly.  And over the exact same things every time: Alice bothers him, Henry won't play with him, I don't love him because I won't  let him have his way.

We have tried to help him learn to control his emotions.  Starting Tae kwon do was an effort to help him with this.  I try really hard to be firm and consistent. We recently took a Love and Logic parenting course, mostly because we didn't know what to do with him anymore. But the truth is that he is so loud when he gets out of control that I am not just imagining that other people are staring at us.  Truly, when I start considering whether or not I actually want to take a certain child out in public, it is probably time to consider counseling.  It is on my list of "Things to do" when we get to Austin.  All of this change this summer has got to be part of the problem.  But trust me, his problems did not begin with all of the change that has been going on in his life. And this goes way beyond "middle child syndrome".

OK, that was more of a tangent on Oscar than I intended... I was trying to make the point that my kids - all of my kids - were not angels for Abby.  She has three kids of her own.  The youngest is about Joe's age, and he probably didn't appreciate his mom's attention being divided with a new baby in the house.  And her older two don't line up in age/gender with my kids.  Unfortunately my Alice decided it would be really fun to have a younger girl cousin to tease and not play nicely with.  And my boys are older than her oldest and don't play with nearly the amount of imagination as her Cubby.  I would like to say that my kids were not on their best behavior at her house.  But the truth is that they were par for the course, and I didn't like how it looked.

When I came back to Vegas, my kids and I stayed another 5 days.  My kids may have had time with their cousins (bless their hearts!) but I wanted time with my sister!  I LOVE Abby.  She makes me laugh all day long.  She shares my love for Dr. Pepper, though she likes it "straight up" and I prefer diet.  (How she is not 300 pounds, I do not know.)  She taught me it is OK to have a can with breakfast.  Thanks for that, Abs.

Turns out she is a "real" mom just like me! (Already knew that.)





She struggles to keep her house clean, she worries about her kids' behavior, she is just sick of it all and sometimes wants it to go away. Just sometimes. ;)   I spent all of my time with her feeling grateful that she understood me, she was honest with me, she commiserated with me, she laughed at things that I thought were funny.  AND she taught me that having a lock on the outside of the kids' bedroom door was golden.  For the first time in... forever.... when I had to put a child in "time out" for five minutes they were in a place where they couldn't defy me, test me, etc, etc.  They had no choice but be removed from everyone and any fun that may have been going on for 5 minutes and calm down.  They were safe. There was nothing they could harm. It was like a true time out for me, too, which is exactly what I need sometimes.  You'd better believe I will be adjusting a bedroom door or two first thing in TX.  Thank you, Abby.

Once the kids were in bed at night we just wanted to hang out, eat yummy food and more Dr. Pepper, watch So You Think You Can Dance, look online to see what exactly different cosmetic procedures would entail, and chat.  We would stay up so late because it was so fun to not have the kids around with us, but then we would pay for it in the morning.  But it was worth it.

We tried to do a few fun things with the kids.  The story of my life (this summer) is that when I try to do something that is a real treat - something really fun! - with my kids, they act ungrateful and whine the entire time.  And then I hate that I have spent money on them that day.  And I resent that they put me in a bad mood.  And I hate that I have to tell myself, "No one can MAKE you mad.  You get to choose." Just like I tell my kids.  At the end of the day, it is just hard to say "I had a good day regardless!" when the whole point of the day was to do something fun with the kids.

The one thing I am most sad about is that I know her kids started acting like MY kids - copying their worst behavior.  That made Abby sad.  And that made me really sad.  It is one thing to misbehave. It is another to be modeling misbehavior for a younger cousin.  For this, Abby, I am truly sorry.  I hope you were able to de-program your kids and that they shook it off quickly.

And now for a few pictures.  OK, more than a few.

If we wanted to go anywhere together in one car, we had to break the law. Shhh.

 Once a life guard, always a life guard.  We swam one day at Abby's in-laws house.  Making sure our babies didn't drown was top priority.  Stressful. The look on Abby's face kind of sums it up. Classic.
 A recurring theme for the summer is Henry taunting Oscar about not swimming in deep water. It makes me so mad.  Here Oscar is summoning all his nerves (and all flotation devices available) to jump off the diving board for the first time.
 ...And then the next thing we know he was doing flips. Kids are baffling, I tell you.

Two-handed popsicle-eating-awesomeness.
 There's a genuine smile.
 In every other context imaginable ... this would be heaven.



 I feel like I am complaining a lot. We really did have a lot of fun, too.  It was just so very... sprinkled throughout.  Random.  Fleeting.

The day before we left we took the kids to see the fountains and the gardens at the Bellagio.  Surely they would think it was so amazingly awesome that they would forget that it was hot, and that they were "hungry" and that they were "tired".  









 Here is the thing about going on an "adventure" with kids:  One minute you are twirling your daughter and dancing to the music on the strip...

...and the next... LITERALLY the next minute you have three hot, cranky, moody, unhappy children hanging on you.   It is like living with several short, schizophrenic people.

 The moments when they were playing nicely together were so fleeting, it was rare to capture them with the camera.
 "Hey, can you help me get outta this joint?."
 They shared one thing very well:  snot and eye boogers.  :)

Abby, as you have read this, I hope you have understood my true meaning: that of appreciation and gratitude for taking on a really crappy job and doing it admirably.  Thank you so much.  And thank you for not insisting that I take my cranky kids and leave immediately after I got back from Austin.  I needed those few days with you to feel loved and understood.  When I left I couldn't stop crying, and I couldn't understand why.  We had planned for Abby and co. to come visit us in Irvine this weekend.  I would be seeing her soon!  I wasn't crying because I would miss her (although I would indeed miss her!).  I was crying because I was leaving a place of emotional comfort and rest.  We are leaving Irvine (where we have only lived for about a month) in 12 days to start the real deal.  I am so scared in the weirdest ways.  Newness freaks me out.  What if the other moms don't like me??  :)    And that, my friends, is why I need to stop being so self conscious.




13 comments:

mo said...

That was a very honest post but I suspect that what you wrote reflects the insecurities that most moms feel. We women tend to be so hard on ourselves blame ourselves for everything that goes amuck--is that even a word? I don't know, I'll just blame myself for being dumb and not knowing...For what it's worth, I think you are doing a great job. You love your children and will always do what you feel is best for them. That, along with a little counseling from the experts here and there, is enough. Our hearts and prayers are with you.

the wrath of khandrea said...

agreed with mommafish. the mom who doesn't feel this way from time to time is a liar. the mom who doesn't feel this way more often than not is a drunk.

it DOES get easier as they get older, i will attest to that. and i think i am parenting one like your oscar. counseling has been a godsend, because it gives you more solid direction in planning your approach. it also helps that you're paying someone to give you advice WITHOUT judging you.

speaking of being judged... i'll say this. the only thing that took that obsession away for me was my divorce. because there ain't no pretending at that point. people know you've failed. so i suppose in the end, that was one good thing that came of it all...i had to give up pretending i was perfect because everyone now knew that i wasn't. but since you're not in the market for a divorce, let me let you in on a little secret... YOU are the only one who thinks that your image is that important to other people. the only reason other people might judge your performance is to feel better about their own. and that is pathetic. so just know that if you see someone giving you "the look" while your kids are screaming, just know that they are likely suffering from:
a) a crappy marriage
b) obesity issues
c) lackluster sex life
d) all around inferiority complex.

and then let the problem be theirs, not yours.
love you chica!!

and how ironic is this: your word verification is poreme. not even lying.

Kelly(M&M) said...

Sarah, This post made me cry because it makes me miss you even more. (It helps that I will be able to see you tomorrow- woo hoo!!!)I have loved your friendship for the last 6 years. (Wish we had been friends the whole 8 you were in Sherwood!) Running in the morning without kids and other moms around allowed us to be "real" and open and honest. I never felt like I had to put on a show for you. You accepted me with all my flaws and shortcomings. You forgave me when I said things without thinking. You loved my children and watched them even when Bryce and Alice were great at egging each other on. You never judged me and just made me want to keep trying. We both grew and changed as moms and a lot of what I learned was from you. Thanks for teaching me to relax and not get mad at my kids when they weren't perfect. Thanks for teaching me to enjoy my kids and that it doesn't matter if the chore chart doesn't work, you just try something else. Thanks for teaching me the importance of being united with my husband. It was great taking the Love and Logic class with you and sharing those things. You are a fantastic mom who does her best to parent her kids individually. That is an amazing talent. You will have no problems making friends in Austin and I cant' wait to hear about all of them. (Although I will be jealous that they get to have you as a friend to see you more than I do!) I love you and miss you more than I can say!! See you tomorrow. (And don't worry about being on your best behavior with us!) I am so glad you got to have that time in Austin with Taylor and Abby is a great sister for providing it. You would do the same for her!

Maleen said...

That was one of those crazy, inspirational, truth-telling, revealing, amazing, posts that you want to comment on a million points, but you can't even figure out where to start.

I think we all feel exactly like you most of the time. And it is hard not to, because we aren't perfect and we are going to get it wrong...a lot.

I can tell I am not in a good advice giving mode, because I keep writing stuff and erasing it. (Who's self-conscious now?)

You are a fabulous mom, because you care. You care about your kids, and truthfully, we all want our kids to be normal individuals that will blend into society, have good friends, and enjoy fulfilling relationships. We still want them to be unique and strong in their testimonies, but we want them to fit in.

And maybe our kids will never fit in, but we will love them anyway. And maybe that is what it means to be a mother.

I should go. I have a stubborn child sulking in front of the piano and cursing her mother. I should probably try to fix that.

Trina said...

Sarah you are amazing!!! Everyone will love you in Texas! No need to worry! You are one of the most friendly, welcoming, down-to-earth, accepting people I know! And your kids are awesome! They just have their moments, like all kids. :) I saw so many talents in each of them - (even Oscar - he is quite the creative one, and a great writer!) you are doing an awesome job of encouraging them! They were sent to you for so many reasons and you are doing great! Every parent doubts their parenting at times - because with parenting nothing is ever done to check off the list as success, it just continues on and on. Those who don't ever doubt must not notice all the problems their "angelic" child creates.

Lucky Mommy said...

I'm just laughing at the short schizophrenic people line. It's not you, it's them! Repeat as needed! You are the most devoted mom I know and so I have perfect faith that you will do your best to parent your children and they can ask for no more than that. As for Oscar, if you didn't want him to have issues you should have named him Gile. He's in good company, I say! Moving brings everyone's insecurities front and center. I am glad you'll be in TX soon and living the unknown instead of fearing it. Meanwhile, your family will be in our prayers.

Emma Jo said...

It will all be OK, and I promise you that 99% of all moms feel so much the same way...the other 1% are insane and don't know that their lives are hard.
You will love Texas and all will live happily ever after.
I want my sisters.

Carrie Ann said...

You have a lot of blog lurkers who tell me they love your blog because you write so well, you are funny, and you are REAL. Only stupid people want to read and re-read blogs about "perfect, happy" moms. I want to read about people, and especially people I love and admire. I don't care about cupcakes and headbands.

I, as does everyone, share your insecurities. But I once read a quote that I have never been able to find again that paraphrased thus, "Whatever good or bad is said about you, you must stop and consider is it true? If it's not true then you don't have anything to worry about... If it IS true then you need to accept responsibility." I have never felt so free than accepting the bad things that are, or might be said about me. If it's true, then I can stop worrying that it's being said and start working on it, although I've been working on the "don't be fat" and "don't be so awkward" for a while now. :)

I wish I had more time with you, too. Sometimes we need to be validated and sometimes we need to go to work. Something I love about you is that you are open to both validation and work. You have the humility to even question your parenting and the willingness to listen to others and to try something new in the interest of your kids' happiness. THAT'S good parenting. You do so much that is right, don't forget that. Your humility and real-ness are the most endearing things about you, and it's why you have people all over crying and gnashing their teeth that you are moving away from them.

Moving stinks. It's not even the newness of it. It just stinks. But I have a feeling about you guys in Austin (remember how I get "feelings" about people... we won't call it revelation because you're not supposed to get revelation for other people...). This is a new chapter in the Giles family history. So many great things are going to happen for you in this new place because you will MAKE them happen, you will seek them out, and you will not, and have never, hid you light under a bushel. I am excited for you. Shine on you crazy diamond.

JP said...

I love you. You are wonderful m other who loves her children.

That is all. :)

Abby said...

The kids are in bed and I am drinking a little DP with dinner as I read! My, my, my...here's why you are such an enigma to me: You are the most honest, real person I know. Period. You are actually incapable of falsehood--you don't even smalltalk! If you have nothing to say it is quiet (whereas people like me feel the need to fill it with chatter). So explain to me how that person [you]is so self-conscious?! It's like you showed up to a costume party not in a costume and feel naked. We all get you--we're all like you. We are all self conscious too...keep on keepin' it real.
By the way, I'm thinkging about writing a parenting book about how locking your kids in thier room will change your life...

Abby said...

ps
Is text messaging the most appropriate way to tell someone their kid needs counseling?

Jamie said...

Great thoughts, Sarah.

Love all the flotation devices on Oscar.

That Liberty Bell has to be like 50x the real one! Too funny!

Dr. P cures all! :)

Ranell said...

Ditto to all you said, I'm just not as good at writing about it (or talking about it) although I try not to hide it. Most people who have ever spent any time with me know I have certain (many) issues. I, too, have an 'Oscar' (except his name is Michael) and I have found that all I can do is try really hard to capture the cute loving adorable moments in my memory and try to recall them to mind during the hard times. The bad, horrific, embarrassing, 'pull-out-my hair' moments stay there on their own.

I find this post fascinating because I always assumed most of my insecurities come from my less-than-ideal family background and childhood. It's not about blaming my parents, but just trying to figure out why I am this way. It is liberating to hear from others,(such as you) who have really amazing parents who loved you and did awesome things with you and whose adult siblings are among your besties (not the case with me), and you still have these same insecurities. I suppose it is part of womanhood, and motherhood and we can use it to learn to rely on each other, and on our Heavenly Father, if we choose to. MUCH easier said than done, but that's my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for keeping it real. I find that I only read blogs that are real, because otherwise I walk away feeling worse about myself, and believe me, I don't need that!