Saturday, October 01, 2011

TO DO:

1. Learn to use tools and build things.
2. Build this.





3. Build this.





4. Build this x 4


5. Build this.


Boy, I'm going to need a lot of white paint...

I have been going back again and again to this site for over a year. I am drawn to it like a moth to a bright light.  I love that the title after the blogger's name is "Home Maker".  She truly does make her home... one piece of furniture at a time.  And even now, it sounds like she is building an entire home from the ground up.  I'm not anxious to do that, but the creative side of me really wants to make furniture!  I have been getting all kinds of antsy living in our new house and wanting to make it functional and beautiful. It consumes me.  And that makes me feel vain and guilty.  Why do I think about what my house looks like so much?  Why does it matter? I have a testimony of what is truly important and meaningful in life.  I am torn. Can I have both beautiful surroundings and humility to focus on my family and not our dwelling?

A friend pointed out that this is a natural feeling for women to have.  (Whew!)  We have a desire to make our homes beautiful for a reason.  I want to believe it is an altruistic reason and not a vain one.  There is one thing for certain, and that is I don't believe I should make it beautiful at the risk of draining our bank account.  That is a tough one.  Even the most creative projects usually take a bit of money.  So the idea of making my own furniture is very appealing to my creative and cheap side (it's the same side, don't you know?).  This is why I want to build my own furniture:

1. It seems cheaper.
2. I could get the exact result that I want and not have to compromise form for function, or function for form.  
3. How satisfying would it be to look around my house and be able to say "I MADE this!"  ??

But.   But....

I have a few obstacles.

1. I don't have all of the right tools.
2. I don't know how to follow all of the instructions.
3. I'm sure it is not as cheap as I imagine.
4. I'm sure it is not as easy as she makes it look.

You know what I need? I need a new friend who:

1. Lives nearby
2. Already owns all of the tools
3. Knows how to use the tools and can teach me
4. Has all of the time in the world
5. Wants to help me build my dream furniture.

Anyone? Anyone?

*crickets chirping*





7 comments:

michaelstubbs said...

I don't think that it's crazy to want to make your home look nice. We just moved into our first home, and we are going crazy fixing things. It is satisfying and frustrating. I highly recommend getting yourself one of these: http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCK450X-18-Volt-Cordless-4-Tool/dp/B001UHOUVM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1317534106&sr=8-6
If we lived nearby, we would share tools and ideas. Best of luck.

amydear said...

I'd say start with an easy project like the bookshelves and work you way up. Those projects look great. Good luck!

angela michelle said...

Do it! You're totally up for it.

I know it's a problem to get *too* hung up on home decor, but the way I look at is that I spend *a lot* of time in this house and I'm a happier person when it's a (somewhat) lovely, functional place.

Lucky Mommy said...

Can I "like" angela's comment? Make a decorating budget for time and money and do one project at a time. So fun to let your imagination make plans, and you make such cute plans!

Joanna said...

ME!

Ok....I should pre-empt that...I don't follow directions very well...I've never built any kind of furniture....

BUT - my husband has a lot of tools, he can help us, and I'm willing to learn???

I think we could start small...and I'd be all over helping you in anyway I can.

mo said...

I think you don't know what you are capable of doing until you try--so go for it. They are all doable projects. I wish we could lend you our Makita drill--I love that tool!

Rynell said...

We've built a couple of simple things from her website. For us, it did cost a little more than the projected amount, but it was worth it. I'd say start with a good drill and a chop saw.