It is really difficult to write another post after receiving that many comments on my last one. (OK, so 5 of them were my own comments... ) I feel like George Costanza who has reached the top of his game: "I'll be here all week!"
But, there was an incident today that I believe deserves mention. (And it doesn't even have anything to do with picking out legware for my outfit. I'm wearing nude hose, by-the-way, with ratty sweatpants...and taaalll black boots ;-)
Last week the Ward Activity Committee Co-Chair asked me to help with decorations for the upcoming ward "winter beach party" activity. I always need a good excuse to leave the house, so my response was exhuberant. I attended the preliminary planning meeting, we decided upon the "look" and "feel", divvied up responsibilities, and arranged to meet back at the church today to work on our projects.
This all requires taking my children with me to the church "cultural hall" (would LOVE to find out the reasoning behind that name...I would have called it the "mostly-British-Isles-and-some- Scandinavian Hall".) One might think this would be an ideal setting for the kids to run around and play, while mom actually gets something done. How wrong you would be. My kids see "space" as something to fill with noise and chaos. Thus, the larger the space...the larger the noise and chaos. Whoa is me.
You can't even begin to understand how fun the prospect of creating huge, colorful paper kites (with flowing tails!) was for me. (I must admit to being crafty, and enjoying it.) This was my assignment, and I was determined to impress.
Unfortunately for me, 16-month-old Oscar decided he wanted to be held the entire time. What should have taken an hour and a half stretched into 3. Oscar was either feeling unusually tired, or terribly intimidated by my crafting abilities: He would NOT let me show my skills! I remained calm, pretended like his crocodile tears didn't phase me, and even balanced him precariously on my back to get those kites done.
Towards the end I had to go to the car to get something new to entertain Oscar. When I returned, a very well-meaning sister we'll call Becky was sitting in my seat picking up where I left off with the kites. In this somewhat awkward situation (Oscar still crying...and I will NOT conceed defeat!) I tried to gain control of my craft project. "I can finish," I told her. She stammered something and backed away. I knew I had embarassed her. :( I know she was just trying to help.
One puffy faced toddler and seven gorgeous kites later... I knew I should apologize to Becky and thank her for trying to help. "Sometimes I just need to prove to myself that I can get something done that I have committed to doing, despite the kids' chaos." Her response is the reason for this post:
"I completely understand. (And I believe her at this point...she has 3 kids of her own, though older than mine.) I have a neighbor with MS. Every time my kids see her out working in the garden they say to me, 'Mom, are you just gonna let her do that all by herself? We should help her.' But, I tell them, 'No, sometimes people need to do things for themselves, just to prove that they can.' "
:PAUSE:
My brain thinking: "Is she comparing my children to a horrible, debilitating, deteriorating disease??!" I was trying hard to nod and look like that didn't phase me.
Blunt I may be...but there's nothing you can really say to respond to that. So I left it alone. After all, maybe my kids are a bit naughty (certainly not "horrible") and a bit "debilitating". As for "deterioration"...things can only get better from here!
10 comments:
Wait… so she will take over your project, but doesn’t step in to help the women with MS with yard work? I think dear Becky is the one who needs some help!!
And I love the name Oscar.
I just have to say you crack me up. I found your blog through Kacy's (who is also quite entertaining!). I feel a bit weird posting since it seems like all the comments are from family or friends of the family. But I must let you know how hard I laugh about the things that you post. (The whole nylons vs. tights thing baffles me, too.) I have four little kids and live in Utah, but refuse to think that I fall into ANY of the Utah Mormon stereotypes. I am also enjoying the various stages of mormondom blog-- good stuff.
Also, one of your first posts at Christmas time I could completely relate to. I just moved back (actually from Oregon) to Utah where I grew up and all of my extended family lives. I related so much to how you missed your sisters!
OK, gotta go be a mom again. Just wanted to let you know your blogging efforts are appreciated.
Richelle
It is strange that she won't help the neighbor even when her kids are prompting her to ...
Here's to another 19-comment-post.
I'll bet your kites look spectacular. I'll bet Oscar is teething. I'll bet your kids are pretty normal. I think you and Becky and all of us are just all doing the best we can!!! (Were you really wearing nude hose? Oh my!)
Welcome Richelle! We are not all friends and family, but have met through blogging just as we have now met you. But actuall, Suzie IS family to ME but don't let that stop you!...
Suzie...you left out the part where you let your 16 month old "play" with your cell phone and he called me. I could hear this tiny breathless voice whisper "come play with me!" I know Oscar is missing me... And kids CAN be deteriorating...don't you ever watch Extreme Makeover? Those poor women!
Richelle,
Mo and Carrie Ann are family, but I have never met anyone else that comments here or at Various Stages. I'm glad you found me! You are welcome any time. Did you know I live in Oregon? Yah, it's hard to not be able to pop over and drop the kids off with my sisters while I go make kites (I sound like a mental patient!). I found it particularly funny that no one offered to HOLD Oscar the entire time. Well, I probably wouldn't have either. Who wants to hold the tired, teething, crying baby?
Thank you for the warm welcome. I have to keep convincing myself that the internet blog world is a perfectly acceptable way to meet new friends :)
I remembered from your previous post that you are in Oregon. We lived in Salem for a few years for my husband's job. I loved the access to the Oregon coast, although in our three years living there, we only had a few really good beach days-- mostly overcast and windy there, but we kept going back for more. My kids were always very excited to play in the ocean, even though every time we got our feet in the water there was worry of hypothermia! We are now back in Zion.
In retrospect, I wish I would have focused more on the positives of living "in the mission field". We are glad to be back, but miss the autonomy of being our own little family unit when we were living away. We felt very needed and really appreciated our ward members much more when we were living in Salem. Now, my current calling in my salt lake ward is Relief Society Enrichment Night Table Decoration Specialist. OK, I'm kidding, that's not my calling, but it does exist in my ward and was an official calling extended over the pulpit and sustained by the ward. Stretching just a little bit to make everyone feel "needed", don't you think? oh well.
Richelle
Richelle, that calling is hilarious. A friend of mine once had a calling to put out the hymn books in relief society. Good stuff!
-Tifferbob
Oregon beaches are over-rated. Stunningly beautiful - yes. But, one can only enjoy it for about 5 minutes and 30 seconds before a child can't help but get up to their waste in the water; then it's a mad dash to the car for the always-necessary-extra-change-of-clothes before hypothermia sets in. We're talking JULY, people. We hardly go. And that was one of the big draws for moving here. Oh, well.
I'm supposed to go BACK to the church tomorrow to actually hang the darn kites. The nice lady who originally asked me to help called yesterday to say, "Can I just come by your house and pick up the stuff you were going to bring?" I insisted I could make it. (WHAT IS MY PROBLEM? Am I a martyr, or a glutton for punishment??)
Here is the IRONY. I forgot that I can't go because I am supposed to babysit another 16-month old at the same time. I vote "glutton for punishment".
[url=http://community.gazzetta.gr/profiles/blogs/consolidate-credit-cards ]consolidate credit cards page [/url]credit cards to consolidate debt consolidate credit cards loan consolidate my credit cards debt
[url=http://www.officialflo.com/profiles/blogs/consolidate-credit-cards ]consolidate all credit cards to one [/url]consolidate credit cards debt group cards consolidate credit loan student consolidate credit cards low prices
[url=http://community.bonniehunt.com/profiles/blogs/consolidate-credit-cards ]consolidate credit cards $8000 [/url]non profit consolidate credit cards consolidate all my credit cards consolidate credit cards government program
Post a Comment