You thought you knew where this post was going, but you don't.
When I was in second grade my mom bought 7 matching ("coordinating" would actually be a better word) sweaters for all of the kids in the family. We had a family photo taken; even my 2nd grade school photo features this sweater.
The way-cool 80's trend-of-the-moment was getting said "preppy" sweaters monogrammed. The monograms would look something like this, but in fancy, swirly letters: A O J . Note: the last initial of the full name was put in the center. So, in my normal-sized mormon family of seven siblings we had:
A O L , C O P , C O A , E O J , A O J , and S O J.
But, then there was mine. When my mom brought home the highly-anticipated monogrammed sweaters (no chance of hand-me-downs here!) we were excited. Then I noticed that my monogram was clearly different from everyone else's. Instead of my initials emblazed grandly across the center of the sweater, they were aligned less magnificently at a diagonal down the side. And instead of the last initial being placed "front and center" like everyone else's, it was in its regular, boring order: First initial first, middle initial next, last initial at the end.
Imagine Cindy-Lou Who's little voice here: "But, mom, why...why does my sweater look different from everyone else's?"
Mom: "I don't want any kids at school to make fun of you." (*She must have had a serious premonition...this happened anyway...without the help of the sweater!*)
Me: "Why would they make fun of my initials but no one else's?"
Mom: "Your initials in that order stand for something else that is a bad word."
She wasn't one for swearing...especially in front of her seven-year-old. So, it took some serious prying of the older sibings to figure out what S. O. B. stood for.
The End
P.S. Naming a child is a tricky thing, and I, in no way, blame my parents for this mishap. (How could they have predicted the preppy trends of the '80s?) I, myself, made a child-naming mistake that is probably more blatent. My husband gave me "free reign" to name our first 2 children after he witnessed the horror of child-birth first hand. So for the third one there was a lot of debate, I couldn't make up my mind, and I told him it was totally up to him to pick out the first name. The middle name was a joint effort: it turned out to be what we thought was a good, solid-sounding name steeped in family history. It wasn't until my son was a month old that one of my dear sisters pointed out that his name has a double meaning: Oscar Knight / Oscar Night (as in The Academy Awards). Yikes. Do you think he'll ever notice? Or care?
Wednesday, January 19, 2005
S. O. B.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I think Oscar Knight is a great name. We have a friend who named their son Atticus Wynn Skyser Gray. They did this intentionally.
I think Oscar Knight is a great name. We have friends who named their son Atticus Wynn Skyser Gray. They did this intentionally.
My brothers intials are B.S. He loved it. And took full advantage of it. ;)
"Atticus" has been one of my husband's favorite names for a while, but I wasn't feeling so adventurous.
I'm OK with the "Atticus" -- it's the "When Skies Are Gray" that I have trouble with.
You poor s.o.b. I just noticed we're both Gemini. That's something.
LOL "When Skies Are Gray"! Sometimes I'm slow on the up-take. :)
It took me years to figure out what SOB was. There was even a movie around that time called SOB. I guess that just indicates what an innocent mind I had...HAD...
Could've sworn YOU were the one who finally told me... no, I really don't remember.
Honestly, I never look at initials, but my husband does. He doesn't let me live it down that my youngest daughter's initials are A.S.S. - so we just put her nickname on everything - SUZY. Good Grief!
Post a Comment