Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Creative Energy

I am feeling a complete "disconnect" between the creative writing center of my brain and my fingers. I think "writer's block" is the phrase I'm supposed to use... but I can't because I's gots it!

The source of my woe is the complete and utter DRAINING of creative energy I experienced over the last week. My words not so good, so I put here mostly pictures for you.
Waverly and ABC quilt
It all started a few weeks ago with the lovely idea to make a quilt for my daughter's school's fundraising auction. It only fetched $80. I had higher hopes after spending 30 or so hours on it! Oh, and there's Waverly standing with it - proof for all of you who think her teeth are still bright green. They're not.
Mo and Poppa with kids
Here is where the fun actually started. My parents came into town for a couple days. It was a crazy, hectic, busy weekend and they stepped up to the plate and helped me get everything done. My kids love them! My favorite moment: when they showed up on my doorstep the last morning they were in town with bags of groceries from Trader Joe's - all yummy fixins for breakfast. I love you, Mo and Dad! Thanks for all your help!
Sarah, piano, set
The first day they were in town my mom helped me paint the backdrop for the set for the Sherwood Chorale benefit concert (I'm a "solid alto"). Didn't we do a lovely job? And isn't the piano gorgeous? This annual concert is held to raise money for the high school choral program. Their annual budget is $250! A friend of mine VOLUNTEERS to teach 2 choir classes EVERY DAY at the high school. What talent! What a big, giving, passionate-about-music heart! The concert this year showcased the school's new baby grand piano - recently awarded from the Snowman Foundation.
Me and Michael Allen Harrison
...and speaking of the Snowman Foundation...here is the founder himself: Michael Allen Harrison - Composer and Pianist. He performed in the second half of the program on the new piano. AMAZING! His creative energy was so palpable... words cannot describe. Especially when you're suffering from writer's block. But, really - if you're a wealthy person who wants to support the arts in a very meaningful way, his foundation literally puts music programs back into schools with generous donations of pianos. It was such an honor to meet him, but especially to hear him play.
So, there you have it. My creative energy is spent...I'm so drained, I can't even finish this sent......

5 comments:

mo said...

Oh I wish I could have stayed for the Saturday night concert. I couldn't have believed it could be better than Friday night but it sounds like it was! I'm so glad we could be there for part of it. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed every minute of the time we were there. Your children are wonderful and dear to us. One of us needs to blog about the record-breaking lunch at Burgerville but in the mean time check out the pics on my blog--we covered some of the same ground! Thanks for a great time!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Suzie! I'm so glad that you've found outlets for your creative energy. Even though letting it out has left you exhausted, surpressing it would probably only result in frustration. You rock!

Amy Lynn said...

I am so impressed by your big, busy creative life. You made a quilt? And painted a backdrop? And sing alto in a community choir? And wear darling cute black dresses? I have zero creativity right now. Sometimes I wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night trying to remember if I fed Hannah dinner and changed Matthew's diaper before bed. See how uncreative my mind has become??

JP said...

You are amazing...SIMPLY AMAZING!

I'm still in awe...

Carrie Ann said...

Speaking of volunteering...YOU spent HOURS on that quilt and HOURS practicing for the choir and HOURS painting the backdrop...

I LOVE that you participate in activities. You are such a good participator, and you're helpful to boot! I really wish I could have been there for the concert.