Monday, July 25, 2005

Saturday Evening

Who: Me, Waverly (6), Henry (4) and Oscar (1.5)

Where: The minivan

Why: To get a big treat for the kids (Happy Meals!) and take them to the park to enjoy. (Does it get any better than this when you're a kid? I felt like such a nice mom.)

Unexplicable Tantrum: Waverly

Severity: One of her top 5 ever

It started with general rudeness toward me and her brother, so she got a warning: knock it off or no Happy Meal. Did she "knock it off"? No. Did she get a Happy Meal: no.

All the way to the park (5 long, excruciating minutes): "MOM, I'LL DO ANYTHING! I PROMISE, I PROMISE... I'LL DO WHAT YOU SAY FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE... I'LL DO ANYTHING! ANYTHING!" (Don't leave out the quiver in her shouting voice.)

Henry is getting pretty fed up with all the noise in the car. "Waverly, stop shouting," he tries.
When that doesn't work... "Waverly, don't be sad. You can have half of m-- ... You can have half of Oscar's Happy Meal!"

11 comments:

Abby said...

I love your children and I miss them horribly. Will you come to Texas and visit us? You can share all of my...er my kids' stuff. Way to stick to your guns, I'm proud of you.
Em

Anonymous said...

too funny! hee hee! why is it when you are doing the "nice mommy" things~level 5 tantrums soon follow?

aren't you glad you are writing these cute stories down?

Carrie Ann said...

Phew...it's all over (for now). At least after a HUGE tantrum you can pretty much bet on a couple of tantrum free days until the memory of no happy meal wears off...enjoy the reprive...and bless your heart!

Suzie Petunia said...

You'd THINK today would have been better... I even took them swimming. :(

Lisa M. said...

Ah.. how cute is that. I can just picture it !

Suzie Petunia said...

Lisa, I hope you are referring to Henry's "generousity" and not Waverly's tantrum...because I assure you it was anything BUT cute!

Abby said...

I'm glad you are documenting these precious moments. I'm so impressed with your firmness in not giving in. Good jobby--by the way, how long did it take her to get over it? Did she play at the park or sulk? Did she get half of Hen--Oscar's food? I don't imagine Oscar being ok with that. I know that boy likes his happy meals.

Suzie Petunia said...

She sulked at the park about half the time we were there. When both Henry and Oscar lost interest in their happy meals and ran off to play, Waverly came along and finished off their food (I also got a little extra myself to share). It actually turned out to be the perfect amount of food. I'll have to be sure one of them gets in "big trouble" every time on the way to get happy meals. Saves me bucks, no waste and good for the environment!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious story! (I can too easily relate!)

I am getting your address from Amy...Do you want to be pen pals? (Thanks for missing me!)

Suzie Petunia said...

Lala,
Where did you go? Of course we can be pen pals!

mo said...

Henry gets the award for funniest save of desperate situation and he doesn't have to share it with Waverly. You deserve some kudos for good tough love and the ability to see the humor in the situation. I miss your kids!