Monday, September 26, 2005

Sweetest Memory

I read a book tonight that made me consider: Do I know what pure happiness feels like? The book was amazing - it deserves a blog post all its own... another time. But as I finally turned off my light I felt elated for having experienced a piece of beautiful art; for having participated in a story that spoke truth in perfect words. The letters on the pages formed words that skimmed through my eyes and floated effortlessly past the part of my brain that usually takes several moments to process the words on a page. I don't think I read the book. I felt it.

And as I lay in bed, and rejoiced in the cool air from the window drifting over my body... sleep was far from my eyes. You must understand that this is not unusual for me. I don't know much about "sarcadian rhythms", but I'm pretty sure mine is really messed up. Either that, or I was supposed to be born in China. That lovely heavy eyelid feeling only comes to me in the morning when I am supposed to get up (and stay up) to get Waverly off to school, and to care for the other two early birds I have for sons. I am also exceptionally talented at taking afternoon naps. But I wish you could see this --few people have had the honor (family, roommates, my husband)-- of seeing me WIDE awake between 10 pm and 2 am. My mind is alert, my eyes are sharp. "Why is everyone else so tired?" I wonder. And I should be too. Can I take a moment to feel proud of the 7.5 miles I ran and followed up with an intense pilates class today? Shouldn't my body be screaming for sleep?! But I digress...

So there I am with a cool breeze and body-conforming Temperpedic mattress...wondering if I know what complete and utter happiness feels like. And the memory hits me warm and straight in my heart. I can't just lay there and think about it. The memory is so tangible and alive in my mind's eye... I know my body won't let me sleep until this thought holds a somewhat solid form (on the internet?) in writing.

I used to replay this memory over and over in my mind just after my second baby, Henry, was born. Even with a newborn's night-feeding schedule I had trouble falling asleep - this memory became my sleep-inducing drug of choice. I hadn't replayed it for some time, so it came back as such a shock tonight it brought tears to my eyes.

........Henry was born after more than 30 hours of grueling labor. I hadn't slept in all that time and was then required to push this 9-pound baby from my loins. When the ordeal was over I remember the nurse forcing me to use the restroom on my own. She didn't understand that I was half-a-step away from passing out on the bathroom floor. She made me walk back across the labor room unassisted where I quite literally collapsed into the wheelchair where she was waiting. If the chair hadn't been there, I would have passed out on the floor.

I didn't crave much through my pregnancy, but I had an insatiable desire for a freshly-peeled orange at that moment. My doctor was kind enough to snag 2 from the doctor's lounge for me. After all, it was 4 in the morning by this time. The cafeteria was closed. Nothing has ever tasted as delicious to me as those sweet orange segments did at that time.

I was wheeled to my little, dark cave-of-a-room to sleep. With the refreshing taste and scent of oranges lingering I drifted off into the most deep and relaxing sleep I have ever experienced. Can you believe my "sweetest memory" hasn't even happened yet at this point in the story??

Some time later... still dark outside and in my tiny room, the door opened silently and the bright lights of the hospital hallway illuminated my sweet husband carrying a snug bundle towards my bed. He extended the bundle to me and said, "We have a beautiful little boy." The last time I had seen the baby he was fussy, naked and still "untidy" from the delivery. Now he was bathed and bundled into the sweetest little package I had ever handled. In my mind I have a snapshot of this moment. My arms reaching out to him... drawing him close under my face... feeling his soft cheek against my own - so soft, it felt like warm air. I haven't felt this with all of my babies; the feeling of familiarity-- I knew this little person. I knew he was "Henry"! But the smell of my new baby - pink and clean and straight from God. It was the scent. I know what heaven smells like: My newborn's soft, clean, blond hair! There are no words to describe it... just a moment in my memory that makes me say "I know what pure happiness feels like."

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now this encourages me a bit more to have a baby. After the photo of your sis with vomit and snot on her shoulders I was ready to put off motherhood as long as possible. Thanks for sharing your sweet memory!

Melissa said...

What a beautiful story!

And what was the book?

Anonymous said...

I love you, S. Why don't we live closer?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such beauty.
You made me teary and grateful-you also made my milk let down...Thank you? And thank you.
Henry has always had a very special sweetness to him. I miss your kids so much!

mo said...

Thanks for sharing such a sweet and happy memory. It makes me want to stop and smell the roses more often. So what was the book?

Anonymous said...

I loved your post. There is nothing more joyous than that first moment with a sweet little baby fresh from heaven. It makes me want to cry just thinking about it. I was especially in awe about the little cowlick of white peach fuzz-how perfect babies are.

Anonymous said...

I love you, too, Amyjune. Why don't WE live closer? Are we all getting together soon, or what? We need leadership!!

fMhLisa said...

Oh that was lovely, really really lovely.

Anonymous said...

You are killing us on not naming this book. I am in need of a good book-- come forward with the title.... please! : )
Also, do you run 7.5 miles and do a hard pilates class every day? I'm a runner, but currently 7 miles would count as a weekend long run for me.... I'm impressed!
Do you get up early and run? Just curious. I live in SLC and run solo outside. People think it's dangerous, but I suppose it's worth the risk for how great it makes me feel. I'm sure you know what I mean....
Chelle

Emma Jo said...

Don't you love that some of our favorite most treasured memories are directly following childbirth?! I love it! Your blog made me teary and serene and Abby's comment made MY milk let down. Thanks to both of you.

Zookeenee said...

That was a great time, I missed the freshly-peeled oranges craving because it was a rule we had that I am to stick with the baby and watch out for clerical errors that would result in us taking home a baby that wasn't ours. I'm also glad that Suzie doesn't take advantage of me after our children our born, because she could literally ask for anything in the world and I would give it to her.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
hi, it's me! melissa c said...

Your blog really brought back some beautiful memories of my own. I have three children but the last delivery was like you described. A little piece of heaven. I love that you run AND do pilates! So do I! Except at this point I WALK 2 miles and then do pilates! I am working on the running part but have hurt myself so many times that I need to take it slow. What is the name of your book. I LOVE to read and frequently do it in the middle of the night too! You sound awesome girl! A kindred spirit.

Lisa M. said...

My dearest Suz...

I am completely nocturnal. I am quite certain that I am half bat. *smile*

I am overwhemled with gratitude for this post. I can't express why, or in an articulate way, but there is something inside of me that really appreciates it.

And the pure and udder tender possession of the word "someday"

JP said...

I've found a way around so that I can visit your site (as it is STILL blocked as PORN...whatever) but it still will NOT let me comment on how beautiful this post is. I teared up an everything...I love it.

Oscarson Photography said...

its good to hear im not the only night owl in the family. it has nothing to do with will power or being lazy, its just the way we work. these moments of memory and deep thought that can really make a difference usually happen at this time. i miss your kids... and you too!

Carrie Ann said...

After 30 hours of labor and a crazy nurse, you DESERVED that moment of happiness...and many more. Good job on the 7.5 miles AND pilates...you go girl.

Amy Lynn said...

Sweet, sweet moment! I love that your favorite memory happened after 30 hours of hell! The human mind and body is a miracle--the most interesting moments can heal us! It makes me want an afternoon with Henry. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

It was fun to search your blog to see into your life a little bit.

Anonymous said...

drum roll. . .

AND THE BOOK IS:___________________

Anonymous said...

OK, let's try that again.......drum roll.... and the book is_____________________