Tuesday, June 13, 2006

30 is a good, solid number... don't you think?

Today's the big day: 30 big ones! Here's a look back at past birthdays...

Chapter One: I Am Born.
I don't remember this birthday, but I hear it was spectacular!
newborn

Turning One with my very own pink cake -
first bday

This wasn't my second birthday... I seem to be missing a few years in there. But I just like this picture of me being two-ish.
2 years old

I know I had chicken pox on my second or third birthday, but I think Mo still has that lovely photo... along with birthday pics for years 4, 5 and 6.

I remember #7 pretty well. It was a Sunday and the only person I wanted to invite to my birthday dinner was my CTR Primary teacher. I can't remember her name, but I liked her a lot. Wasn't she nice to come? And wasn't my dress... special?
seventh bday

Soon after my eighth birthday...
eighth bday

My ninth birthday brought some classic 80's must-have toys: a Cabbage Patch Kid (Charlie Astor), a Pound Puppy and a Swatch watch.
ninth bday

Ah, the displaying of the birthday loot: birthday #10.
tenth bday

My 11th birthday happened to land on Friday the 13th. I had a slumber party. Woo hoo.
eleventh bday

My 12th birthday landed on the day of my first Young Women mutual activity. I remember not having any idea what was going on. We went to someone's house... and then there was a cake... for me? I didn't really know any of the girls. You'd think they would have talked to me at my own birthday party. Maybe it was the glasses. They were fake. I didn't wear glasses. Don't ask. That is a Units outfit I'm wearing. Remember Units? Yah, I thought I was very cool.
twelvth bday

For my fifteenth birthday Amy decided I needed some sexy underwear:
fourteenth bday

Birthday #16: I ran my first road race - a five-miler. And I went on my first official date to El Torito. MMMmmmm. I had braces then, hence the tight-lipped smile.
sixteenth bday

I met Zook just before my twentieth birthday and spent the big day in California meeting his family. These pics are from a party we had later that week in Provo. 20! I was so grown up!
twentieth bday

Just happy to be here... and 21.
twenty-first bday

Birthdays 22 through 26 are a bit of a blurr... having babies and all. I guess we used all of our camera film on them.

I have a little birthday tradition: I like to get my hair cut and feel pretty. I certainly needed it on my 27th birthday: we had just moved to OR, no extended family to celebrate with, and I was 6 months pregnant. PARTY!
twenty-seventh bday

I like a little cake on my birthday. And I love that strawberries are in season in June... they make the perfect cake decoration. Here I am making a complete pig of myself on birthday #28.
28th bday

So there we have it: 30 years well-documented for posterity and strangers alike. Well, almost 30 years... I'm missing a few in there - lucky for you! I'm not too upset to be turning 30. It could be worse. I could be 40! ha ha. That won't be so funny in, oh, 10 years. But when I think of myself as 30 I am a little embarassed that I don't feel a 30-year-old type of maturity. So what does that feel like anyway? I guess I have an entire year to figure it out!

23 comments:

Zookeenee said...

I am a little disappointed that you did not share your birthday dream story about eating out for all three meals. I'll wait for your response. And happy birthday!

Emily said...

S! Happy birthday! Wish I was there to throw you a big party.

Anonymous said...

Hey suzie petunia-happy birthday to my name twin! I am guessing you will figure out who I am:) I am down in LA training and I just thought to check your blog today. Thanks for being such an important addition to our family-love, the other sara:)

mo said...

Don't wait for that mature feeling to come....I am in my mid-fifties and am still waiting to feel mature. I am so happy you were born 30 years ago! I am so glad to be your mom and to have you for my daughter. I wish I was there to wish you a happy birthday in person and give you hugs and presents and good food. Have a wonderful day!
PS: The present is coming but it will be a little late! Sorry. I'm getting slow in my old age...not mature, just slow.

Laura said...

Happy Birthday!! Hope you have a good hair day, and plenty of strawberries!!

Carrie Ann said...

Happy birthday written ten feet tall in sparkling letters on your front lawn. That's what I'd do for you if I were in Oregon today.

I love that you are always tan on your birthday. And strawberries in season? That is so lucky! And how do you have so many birthday photos?

I left a couple of obnoxious messages on your phones, but just to reiterate...

I am so happy that you were born! You are a delight and an inspiration to me. I love you a humdred thousand, and wish I could pamper you today! I love you!

S'mee said...

Happy Birthday Susie Petunia!!!!

Woohooo! Nice photo montage down memory lane...cool.

30 wishes sent your way!

Oscarson Photography said...

i'll tell ya somthing else that was "special" about the CTR teacher... anybody else think sarah looks an awful like emma jo's middle child in her "twoish" picture?

Eddie said...

Happy Birthday! Welcome to official adulthood. I mean, really, who takes a 25 year old seriously as an adult?

A 30 year old, on the other hand? Quite adultish.

Here's my favorite thing to send my friends on their 30th, someone shared with me two years ago this month...

You're not really 30...

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Sarah-I'm glad you were born.
I must say that I laughed out loud when I saw you with your Napoleanesque CTR teacher. And yes, I loved Units, but somehow my mom convinced me that it would be cheaper to make units type clothes, so we sewed a whole slew of units look alikes. So painful, yet so funny.

Amy Lynn said...

Oh Suzie...what a fabulous birthday tribute! You really never went through an "awkward" phase. Seriously...went straight from cute to gorgeous without any acne, weight gain, or terribly awful outfits. Well done. I am curious about the plastic bag they laid you on to take your very first birthday picture...is that legal? Safe?

Hope your day was spectacular and fun and filled with much love and adoration!

Emily said...

I think the twoish picture looks like Waverly.

Kelly(M&M) said...

Thanks for letting me spend part of your birthday with you yesterday! It was a lot of fun. It sounds like you had a great day and know how loved you are. I really do feel lucky to know you and have you in my life. I put a tribute to you on www.marathonmommies.blogspot.com I hope you like it! Love, M&M

Abby said...

A. You look like you are throwing out a gang sign in the baby picture.
B. Please tell about the birthday where you ate out every meal.
C. Pleeease write a dramatic and descriptive account of exactly what happened to Charlie Astor...poor kid, he was kind of doomed from the get-go. I am suddenly feeling horrible for laughing at his name and worse--laughing at "the accident." (Dun Dun Dun)

Abby said...

D. HI, the first birthday cake eating picture is MY SON! Anyone?

elasticwaistbandlady said...

As of May 20, I am now officially 2 whole years into being a "thirtysomething". Suzie, we both have all our own teeth, minimal wrinkling, great families, and we're well preserved. Life in our third decade is goooooood!

Happy Birthday! I completely enjoyed the pictures, especially seeing younger versions of your kinfolk.

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

Happy birthday! My little sis just turned 30 in May. She was a little sad about it. I told her that I hated to be the bearer of bad news but her youth was officially over! Now she could just dream about it like the rest of us!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! 30 is a good year for me so far. no complaints. a few fine lines, but I'm determined to age gracefully and not hate the signs of it. I loved looking through your pics! that must have been a great birthday with the cabbage patch kid, pound puppy AND a swatch. score!

Emma Jo said...

I'm glad that you were born too--and point to me for actually remembering a nd calling on your real live birth-date! I am also concerned about the trash bag that your newborn picture shows you laying on. And I'm sorry Amy, but no awkward phase? Did you SEE the bangs in the Units picture?...I guess her face stayed cute the entire time, hidden behind those spectacular pink spectacles. I love you Suzie!

Anonymous said...

Ditto on what Emily said-- your two-ish photo is SOOOOO Waverly!!!

Anonymous said...

DP says that no matter how old you are, your physical image is of yourself at 30. Thus, you have arrived mentally at where you will be as the years whiz by. You are a beautiful thirty! The differentiation of age is the amount of memories. I vote for quantity and quality of memories. With warmest aloha, DP and ML

omar said...

Happy Belated 30th!

And HA HA, you're OLD. (I'm 29 for 10 more months.)

Anonymous said...

I'm so bummed that I "missed" your birthday. Of course, this is what happens when your website is blocked at work and I never get much computer time at home!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!