Waverly left today for Utah. I drove her, Nicole and Addi to the airport and helped them get as far as the security gate. Henry BAWLED when Waverly left. It was the sweetest thing I've ever seen. Tears welled up in his eyes and began to spill down his cheeks when she hugged him goodbye.
My sweet five year old boy is so genuine. I think I'll cry myself the first time he doesn't want to hold my hand or give me a hug because he's too old. So I ask him every once in a while, "Henry, do you promise you'll never be too old or too cool to hug your mom?" He giggles because he thinks that is the funniest question for me to ask. "How absurd!" he's thinking in his little head. His innocence makes it impossible for him to even imagine such a day.
I have been very excited for Waverly to take this trip to Utah. Now that we don't live very close to my parents or any of my brothers or sisters I worry my kids won't know these wonderful people the way I do. I wanted Wavy Gravy to go and spend some good "quality time" with my parents and her aunts, uncles and cousins who love her so much.
She turns 8 next month. I've seen her make tremendous leaps in maturity this summer, but I couldn't help but be nervous about how she would act without her parents around. Nicole called and told me Waverly was an angel the entire plane ride. She kept saying things like "I love the way airports smell" and "I love the noise airplanes make". Sounds like she really soaked in the experience. My mom greeted her at the airport with flowers and a balloon. Doesn't that sound like a fun welcome? I'm trying so hard not to be jealous of my seven year old!
And that leads me to MY not-so-great expectations for the rest of this week. My two best friends are out of town on vacation. And my oldest child has left a big, empty space in the house. I didn't realize how much I would miss her company. Who will I talk to all day long? My converstations with Oscar usually have something to do with poopy diapers and Henry's world revolves around counting how many boys vs. girls are present. When my friends all return from their summer jaunts they will find me rocking back and forth in the corner of a playground. Don't get me wrong... I LOVE our little town. I never want to move. But sometimes it seems very, well, small. My world consists of trips to the park or Target. On very special occasions, like, say, when we run out of milk, I get to go to the Costco one town over. Then the party really starts as we get our choice of hot dogs OR pizza for lunch! (Again!) I'm not ungrateful. I have so much. I am very blessed. But these lazy summer days are about to put my in the looney bin. Please, can someone suggest an activity for me and my 5 and almost 3 year old to do besides watching PBS Kids, playing at the park or trips to Costco? Oh, and it can't cost anything.
By the way... I just started reading Great Expectations. My first Dickens, can you believe it? Thank heavens for books and their escape.
P.S. Don't you dare suggest I take my boys to the library. Something in the air there turns then into hyperactive and LOUD children. Usually they are just one or the other. I just can't stand the perturbed glances from other patrons...
14 comments:
Darling, you live in Portland. Go to the rose garden for a picnic. Hike Multnomah Falls. I do so very much wish we lived by each other and our kids could get dirty looks together at the library. Come to Phoenix! (costs money......I know, but still come!)
I had to reread Great Expectations for a class a couple of years ago and I loved it! I didn't remember Dickens having such a funny sense of humor but he does! I hope you can just enjoy some good two-on-one time with your boys. Waverly is happy and having fun here!
the no cost factor is a hard one... is there a dollar movie theater where you live or is that a Provo thing? How about doing some cool art project with the boys and surprise Warverly with it when she comes back? how about going on a date with one child and really enjoy the one on one time. I love to go to a book store and look at all kind of things that he/she is interested in... good luck!
do you live close to a beach??
Is your local Regal Cinema participating in the Free Family Film Festival?
I've heard there is a fun fountain in Wilsonville that the young kids enjoy playing in on those warmer days...?
Just reading more of your blog... what about a bike ride with your boys at Champoeg Park or another state park? The day use fees are usually pretty minimal.
When does H start kindergarten?
Hmmm...all the activities I could suggest revolve around having a one year-old. Your kids would die of boredom with me! Too bad you're not here, we could swim every day!
Thanks for all the great suggestions! We actually made it through the week unscathed by utter boredom! We did go to the free movies at Regal and we got a LOT of exercise riding our bikes around town to various parks.
emily - Henry starts K on Sept. 5! He is so so so excited! And so am I!
Give them Benadryl and take lots of naps. Oops. Did I just write that out loud?
I loved, Great Expectations. It is probably one of my most favorite all time books.
Good for Waverly. What a super experience. I sent my daughter to England to visit her grandparents when she was just that age, and I missed her, most keenly.
School starts here next week, and I am SO going into depression mode about sending my kids back.
I love summer and I love them being home.
I am late getting on this blog. But I did get to spend some time with Wavy Gravy while she was here and I even got asked a VVVVVIQ. Fortunately I knew the answer after I asked her what a VVVVVIQ was. And as for little boys....my littlest is in South Africa and I have to admit I miss his big frame coming through the door and annoucing "Your bouncing Baby Boy is home" He knew I needed that somehow even though he's a 6 foot 19 year old.
You must have found something to do--something that's keeping you from blogging, that is...hmmm? Wanna tell me what's going on, Carrie?
WHERE IN THE SMACK OF BUDDA ARE YOU?
Post a Comment