Monday, November 20, 2006

It wouldn't be a vacation without it...

I have to say it: I CALLED IT!

Vacation
+ Kids
_________

SICKNESS

Oscar has just enough of a sniffle and cough to make me think he isn't actually just clearing his throat. It is too early to say if this will turn into anything nasty. Maybe it is only something a mother would notice.

On the other hand... Henry's explosion of diarrhea today was something anyone with any of the 5 senses would be able to detect readily. The good news is that it is the type of B.U. (bottom urine) that is - what my husband has aptly named - "man-made". That is, it was induced by the consumption of 1/2 a pound of dried apricots and not a virus or bacteria. Nothing contagious. Whew. The bad news is that it happened while we were in IKEA - of all places! I love IKEA as any normal American housewife (who happens to be 1/4 Swedish) and loves nifty gadgets, home decorating and good deals should. It was on my short list of "things to do" while visiting Palo Alto. (They are building an IKEA in Portland, but won't open for a year or two.) I'm pretty sure explosive diarrhea, passing a kidney stone and/or going into labor would be the only possible things to cut short my enjoyment of perusing the long maze of IKEA's showrooms. But, believe you-me, when my name was called over the PA system to pick up my child from the kids' play center ASAP, I skipped straight from the curtain section to check-out in 30 seconds flat. That must be some sort of a record. Hubby was the first to arrive, assess the damage in the boys room and take care of the situation. When I told him how bad I felt that he had to take care of it, I only meant it in a "sorry that happened to you" sort of way, and not a "I wish I had been first to arrive and clean it up" sort of way.

I'm so glad we decided to eat our Swedish meatball lunch BEFORE we shopped!

3 comments:

mo said...

Oh I am so sorry that the timing of the whole stinking affair happened in IKEA! I have been missing IKEA here and can't wait until ours is finished! I hope no one else gets sick! Are you having fun yet?

Emily said...

I am sad that this happened. Very sad and sorry. But it is kind of funny because just this week I was reading this on somebody's blog. There is a very telling warning to stay away from the Swedish meatballs at Ikea. You have officially ruined them for me forever.

Lisa M. said...

Ah. I hate that!

Good luck with the rest of your trip!