How do you help a 5-year-old child stop biting his nails? I've tried the gross-tasting stuff on the nails. It hasn't helped. Even when he's not actually biting his nails, his hands are constantly on or near his mouth. I'm starting to realize that this strange compulsion is constant and I'm worried. His little nails are so short - he's even made a couple of them bleed. When I asked his pediatrician about this she asked me if he was a particularly anxious or nervous child. I don't think so. Is he? I don't know how to help him. The other night I had him wear socks on his hands - not a long-term, practical solution. Any suggestions?
Totally off the subject: Watch my husband while he works! Look for the guy with red hair. It is fascinating... :)
17 comments:
I am stalking you, can you tell? I can't give you any advice on this one, you know that!!! When you figure it out, let me know because Dallin does the same thing and I want him to grow out of it sooner than me!
Is it kosher to comment here on your last three entries?
Tell him that germ bugs live under his nails and they will make him have severe diarrhea.
I actually thought about Oscar all evening last night and wanted to call and wish you a happy Oscar Knight, but didn't.
It's amazing how capable we are without our husbands when we know they aren't coming home...no offense guys, you know we love you more than our luggage.
We had 4 children without ever having to deal with this issue...then came #5. We tried everything and nothing was successful; until we brought in a third party.
A girl friend of mine came over and chatted with #5, noting her fingernails, or lack thereof. Girl friend made all the perfect comments and then a bribe of a "whole plate of chocolate chip cookies to eat all by yourself, no sharing with your siblings. BUT you have to have clean fingernails, not biting for one month."
I swear to you, that worked. *I* had used that same bride but it didn't work until the girl friend offered. Go figure.
Let's see--
Have him wear gloves or a helmet or tie his arms to his body...
Yah, I've got nothing!
My Grandma told me if I could go a week without biting my nails, she would get me a kitten. It worked. I did it.
My son is a nail biter too. He is 11. I guess you need the right motivation. They can do it for short periods of time.
I have no advice either. My Aidan is a nailbiter. His dad was too as a kid. I wasn't and I have NO clue how to stop him.
Have you told him it's the filthiest place on your body--teaming with microscopic dirty, germy bacteria bugs that will make him sick--especially a boy his age, using the potty and not being so thorough always with the handwashing thing, etc, etc...that way if he is a worrier, voila--problem solved, and a new worry. it's all about re-channeling that nervousness.
Does that mean that Taylor is at work right now, at 11:30 his time? It looks like he's on the phone. Is he talking to you? What if he wants to pick his nose? Clearly, I am fascinated.
Aaron's a nailbiter, too. I'll make Henry cookies if you make Aaron cookies.
Can he look at himself on the computer looking at himself?
Hey, Taylor! Go to bed. Get some rest. It's too late to be at work.
Did he leave because I was so persuasive? I am SO intrigued!!
Ok, emily. Stop stalking my husband already. :) He WAS on the phone with me, BTW!
Hilarious, all I see are still pictures. I want to stalk him.
*Sniff*
Facinating. I could literally watch cams all day, I am such a pathetic person.
Anxious child. I doubt it. Probalby just one of the comfort habits. I still bite mine. And I am normal.
*laughing hysterically*
I really wouldn't worry about it. Honest.
lisa, After 6pm (New Orleans time) the camera is turned off - so you'll just see the last shot of the day. Try again in the morning! :)
Last night, it was on late.
It was only on late because I asked him to turn it on while I was talking to him on the phone. Stalker.
what about that icky tasting nail polish you can buy? ?
I know where you live. . . . (evil laugh)
Post a Comment