Sunday, February 03, 2008

Be True

I've been on a lot of runs over the last few years. I have run many miles in warm sunshine, through cool drizzles, torrential downpours, and soft white snow. But yesterday's long run was by far my favorite time spent running. Our usual Saturday group (uaually 6-8 people) blossomed to 17 runners. Many new people joined us in running as a tribute to Gordon B. Hinckley, the fifteenth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He passed away last Sunday. He was a man of great energy and spirit who encouraged me to try to be a little better every day. He lived what he taught and accomplished more than a dozen men normally would in their lifetimes.

When our group met at 6 AM the sky was dumping cold rain. It was dark outside, but spirits were high. We each stuck one the "Be's" that President Hinckley taught on our backs. It was a site to see so many people literally wearing what they believe: Be True, Be Smart, Be Clean, Be Humble, Be Prayerful, Be Grateful, Be Involved, Be Positive, Be Still. We each had different goals and distances to cover, so it turned out that after a mile Kelly and I were alone together on a very dark road in the pouring rain. We knew we had 15 more miles ahead of us and in the dark and cold - it seemed very daunting. We had never run this particular route in the dark before. We struggled to adjust our watches and iPods in the rain under a lone street light around mile 3. That is where we took this picture of ourselves. Boy, was it cold! And I was already soaked clean through. It was at this point that we stopped chatting with each other and turned on our iPods. Individually we listened to addresses given by President Hinckley. His familiar voice in my ears was warm and comforting. Gradually the dark gave way to early-morning light, and the pounding rain turned into soft white snowflakes. The back road we traveled wound through fields, farms and vineyards. Our surroundings gradually turned soft and quiet as we ran mile after mile. Soon there was enough snow on the ground that we left footprints behind us. And all the while I listened to President Hinckley encouraging me to stand a little taller. As I considered the life he led, the miles he crossed and all he accomplished for the gospel's sake I knew I had it within me to not only finish this long run strong, but live my life with more enthusiasm for what I know to be true. I must have listened to him speak for over 2 hours. They were all talks given in the last few years. As I listened to one after another the common threads of his message were clear: love, tolerance, charity, kindness and a deep and abiding faith. As I caught big snowflakes on my tongue (and a few in my eyes) I heard President Hinkley talk about the Martin Handcart company crossing the Sweetwater River. Their plight has always struck me - how desperate was their situation! They were alone and facing the elements with nothing to eat or keep them warm, and hundreds of miles from a warm refuge. Some of my own ancestors were a part of that pioneer group and suffered permanent ailments their entire lives as a result of that cold trek. I felt more grateful than I ever have for the sacrifice of those pioneers. I was completely wet but not cold, and I was carrying water and electrolytes. At the end of my run I would enjoy my warm house, a hot shower and a cup of steaming hot cocoa. With all of the advantages and comforts I have been given, there is no reason why my life should not be extraordinary. I can be doing a little better.With just a few miles until the end of my long run I heard Presidnet Hinckley bare his testimony of a loving Heavenly Father and of our living Savior, Jesus Christ. While running through the driving snow and sloshing through the slush collecting on the ground I felt completely warm inside and out. I realized that I was smiling, and that I had been for quite a while.

Part of the beauty of the entire experience was that I was sharing it with friends that mean a great deal to me. Along with the 16 others who started the run with me, I knew there were dozens of others in many places doing the same thing, and appreciating the life of a remarkable man. It wasn't only the man himself I felt we were celebrating : More than anything we were celebrating all that we could become because of what he has taught us. We have strength in our numbers as we support each other and cheer each other along.I ended up running most of this particular run with one of my dearest friends I've ever had. Even though we were listening to our own iPods we were having parallel experiences as we ran together. Knowing I wasn't alone made the experience that much more beautiful. We marveled together at our unearthly surroundings: rolling hills and tall trees blanketed in soft whiteness. My spirit was so high - the last mile felt effortless and I thought I could run forever.

I am so grateful for Erin's challenge for so many of us to run together with one heart and mind. I have a renewed love and appreciation for a prophet of God. And most important, I have renewed faith in myself to stand a little taller, be a little kinder, and to finish my daily races with greater optimism and enthusiasm.

21 comments:

Kelly(M&M) said...

What a beautiful post, Sarah. You described it so eloquently. I felt I was there with you. (Oh yeah, I was!) This was an incredible run for me also. I will never forget the things I felt as I listened to our beloved prophet. I, too, want to stand a little taller. Thanks for making the signs for us to wear and getting all those people together. Thanks for all the great times (running and non-running) we've shared. I look forward to many more. You are stuck with me, my sweet friend!

Polliwog said...

Beautiful! I'm so glad you linked it and that I came over to read about it. You lucky girls, to have such a memorable run.

meg said...

I really enjoyed your story! I felt like I was there too, exept I don't run! - bad back. Anyway, I loved that you did something active to show your dedication. Thanks for the reminder of what we have and what we can do and motivation to do it!

wendysue said...

SuzieP--that was wonderful. Thanks!

betsey said...

Thank you for such a beautiful post! What a lovely tribute to a amazing man. Thank you again.

the wrath of khandrea said...

wow. congrats- what a cool experience! i'm having it vicariously through you. it feels good.

Erin said...

Okay, I can't stop crying. How beautiful you story and the pictures are so awesome! Thank you for doing this. I can't wait to blog about my experience but first I have to get my work done. I'm really behind! I just love you!

Rynell said...

Thank you for sharing your run with us! It was beautiful. As I was running (albeit far less than you) Saturday and thinking of President Hinckley, I was also thinking of all the other people out running in his memory. What a great idea.

The Monkeys said...

So Meg gave me your blog address. She is my sister-in-law and I guess you are the sister of her sister-in-law, so that means we are in no way related- go figure! Anyway, she gave it to me, because I run also- just finished my first marathon in November and loved it. My husband has done 3 and we are planning to do another one soon. We ran 8 miles Saturday- it was the most we have run since the marathon. I was going to post to my blog soon about it. I had heard of your challenge from Kristi at everything pink and about your marathon mommy blogsite from several different places- good for you!

mo said...

Beautiful. I'm so proud of you.

ped crossing said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful run and experience. I am so happy for you.

lisamarie said...

Thanks for your post. I can't believe the elements that came against you that day. What a great story and example. I ran my longest in several years Saturday. There was definitely good energy that day. Luckily for me, it didn't start raining until AFTER my run!

Abby said...

Oh how I love you--you are an insiration and example! For what it's worth coming from a prego, you made me cry!

Ranell said...

I can't believe I missed it, but I was literally sick in bed all weekend, and I'm not better yet! What a bummer of a weekend I had. Thanks for the cool blog, though, I almost felt like I experienced it with you ... almost. Would it be too horrible to do my own tribute run next Saturday when I'm feeling better?

Emma Jo said...

I feel so calm and peaceful--what an inspiration you continue to be, thank you!!

lys said...

Very cool. I feel so inspired after reading this.

Mel said...

What an awesome post and a great experience. Thanks for sharing.

angela michelle said...

That is super cool. Great post, great way to celebrate a great man.

Amy Lynn said...

This was a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing your amazing experience...I LOVED the "Be" signs on everyone's back. You are not only an inspiration but a genius! :>)

By the way...I ran 3 miles! But I should have downloaded the podcasts by Pres. Hinckley. What a great idea!

calibosmom said...

That is so great! What a cool thing to do!

Lammy said...

What a beautiful tribute!
Good job!