Monday, August 11, 2008

Joys and Frustrations

If only I had something really interesting to share with you! Summer is plugging along, and I'm dealing with the same joys and frustrations that have permeated my life for as long as I can remember.

Joy:
I love my kids. They are beautiful and as interesting as can be.

Frustration:
Waverly continues to be super preoccupied with feeling threatened by her little brothers. For example... If I serve one of them their plate of breakfast before I serve her, she assumes this means I must love them more. She then takes it upon herself to make them as miserable as possible. Everything he does is a huge annoyance to her. Every word. Every action. It appears that Henry has been carefully studying his big sister's behavior and trying to duplicate it with Oscar. This "trickle down" effect is enough to make me pull my hair out. And yesterday's sacrament meeting was all about controlling anger. As long as I don't pull out someone else's hair, right?


Joy:
I can't get enough of the Olympics! The opening ceremony was absolutely breathtaking. Say what you will about communism... but the Chinese sure know how to put on a spectacular display of thousands of individuals working together to create one thing that is truly beautiful. Really, the entire thing was beyond description. If you missed it, you just have to go check it out.

I find myself pushing the kids' bedtimes closer and closer to 7:30 (when NBC's coverage of the Olympics begins each night) so I can get my fix. These athletes amaze me! Did you see the men's 400 swimming relay last night! A total upset! The US team out-touched the French team by .08 of a second to clinch the gold! That, after the French team had told the press that they had come to Beijing to "smash" the US team. Oh, that victory was sweet!

Frustration:
I stay up too late engrossed in the Olympics and find myself too tired to get up for my own early-morning run. I also find I am too tired to take care of my kids ... cheerfully.


Joy:
Taylor's job is going well. He is doing some really great stuff for his company and hopes there will be some important deals made in the near future. He's a superstar.

Frustration:
He'll be leaving on Thursday for his third business trip in a month. And it just happens to be over the weekend that my book club is having a girls-only-beach-trip.


Joy:
I am grateful for my house. It was very fortunate that we were able to even buy a house in the area we live 4 and a half years ago. It takes care of us and gives us as little trouble as possible. And it has air conditioning!

Frustration:
We have now lived in this house longer than we've lived anyway previously in our married life. If fact, in a few more months it will be the longest I have ever lived anywhere my entire life. I've decided that this is the reason why I feel like my house is a constant disaster. I haven't been forced to organize, eliminate, and pack it all up for a move in too long. If the market wasn't so bad, I would be tempted to put the house up for sale. STUFF is taking over the house and I can't stop it! I have such a desire to just throw it all out, but when push comes to shove I just_can't_do_it. Someone please come save me from myself.


Joy:
I am really excited to see my family in Utah in a week and a half!

Frustration:
I am really NOT excited to clean the house, pack the car, and drive all the way there with 4 kids. This annual pilgrimage to the motherland is always a mixed bag of emotions for me. I miss my family so much. I hate to feel like we're imposing on their homes and lives.

15 comments:

ped crossing said...

Isn't that just the way life is? Ups and downs.

I feel for you. Do you still get to come to the beach, it sounds like you need a change of scenery.

Let me know if you need help purging. I am purging our garage this week.

Cindy S. said...

You can drive half way and stay at my friend's house again in Eagle, Idaho. She said you guys are always welcomed. Plus she needs someone to run with.

Cindy S. said...

Oh is there going to be food at your book party? I'll watch your kids upstairs for free food. HA HA !!

Lucky Mommy said...

I love this post. You are so right that there is always positive and negative going on. I love how honest you are because when I have a hard day it helps me to think of you and how you're dealing with the good and the bad. I know I'm not alone in this wife and mother thing and that there are other people - you - trudging along doing the best you can, which is amazing, by the way. We are so sad we won't be able to see everyone in Utah. Please take a million pictures and let me see them somehow. My brother Dave's oldest girl treats her brothers the same as Waverly does. Maybe it's just a girl thing , or an oldest thing. Lisa's oldest does it too. I don't know what to do about it, but it seems like it happens to a lot of other people too. Better wrap it up. Love you!

Rynell said...

My oh my-- this sounds familiar. So much joy and so many frustrations.

Jadie said...

I also really appreciate the honesty! It is so refreshing to hear that other women are going through similar things. Hey, I'll help you purge too--I actually love to purge! (You're never gonna take me up on this offer, are you?--sigh, silly independent Mormon women...) See ya, Sarah, and I hope you can find a way to make it to the beach trip (which I am missing *pout*).

Lisa M. said...

I enjoyed this post. More than I can express.

It is very nice to know that I am not alone in my frustrations.

They are truly universal.

Please call me! I hate it when you come to Utah, and don't call.

*SMIRK* you are after all, my longest blogging friend!

Hallway Express said...

I too love the olympics! I wish I was heading to Utah. Keep finding joys amist the frustration. I love how you keep things real.

CrazyEights said...

Hey I like your blog. and um your shoes too, you have really nice shoes.

Abby said...

I'm excited to see you too--you forgot to add licorice to your joys of travelling to UT. I'm certain there will be licorice in your car bag.

Suzie Petunia said...

I heart licorice.

mo said...

Sounds like my life right now, in some ways. I have to move in a month and will be forced to get rid of tons of my stuff...the thought of what lies ahead terrifies me. We are so excited about you coming. Thanks for being willing to make that long trek. We promise to make your stay as stress-free and fun as possible! I agree about the opening ceremonies--I was blown away by the whole thing! I can't turn off the TV while the Olympics are on and I don't normally like to watch any kind of sports. The Olympics is full of great background stories, high hopes, and hard work. It's just so inspiring!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mary Monster Mary said...

Aah this is life no? My husband loves to throw things away. I can send him there and while he's at it he'll organize too. He loves it. I don't thus we are a match made in heaven.
I think that picture of Alice is adorable. I wish we could watch the olympics because they are so fun. Makes me think about cable but then the cheap side of me screams 'NO" Maybe I'll get on the internet to watch some. Glad you see the good and the bad lifre would be boring otherwise:)

Amy Lynn said...

It sounds like my summer...filled with an equal amount of joy and frustration. School starts on Monday and I swear I alternate between deep breathing and chanting to keep calm until then and weepy episodes where I want to home school them because I can't stand the thought of them being gone.

Am I supposed to be medicated for this kind of condition?