Did you know they have stopped making and distributing Postum? (Did you even know there ever was such a thing?) Well... they did. And they have. And I'm sad. I hear you can buy some on eBay for something like $80. That is just crazy-talk. And by that I mean it is crazy that I should have to spend $80 to get my faux-coffee fix.
We always had a jar of it in the cupboard growing up. But I don't ever remember either of my parents drinking it. (Was it the same jar that sat there for 15 years?) Sometimes I made myself a brew. It wasn't until my sister Carrie introduced me to her "Mock-Latte" mix of Postum and hot cocoa a few years ago that I really became hooked. ... And then it was ripped from me so suddenly. So heartlessly. Oh, Postum. I miss you so. Please ... please ... come back to me...
I'll pay you $50 if you find an odd jar on your grocer's shelf and send it to me. Or just go here to sign an online petition to bring Postum back to the masses. I don't think the current 87 signatures are going to do much, so I'd surely appreciate your help. ;)
P.S. Oscar was diagnosed with pneumonia today. Three down. Three to go? (Please, no! Have mercy!) The doctor said the chest x-ray indicated that one of his lungs was also partially collapsed. WHA??! Oddly, the doc didn't seem too concerned. I am. Until further notice, my brown-eyed Bubba will be sleeping in my bed under constant concerned-mama-surveillance. Prayers welcome.
17 comments:
Good grief! The fun doesn't stop. I hope poor Oscar feels better soon.
I'm only marginally empathetic about Postum since I am a strict Pero drinker (it's more complex and delicious.)
But you have my full empathy about Oscar. Poor thing!
Holy cow! you guys sure know how to get the sick thing done. Buttercup had a partially collapsed lung when she was in a lot of pain from a really bad stomach flu. They saw it on the CT but said it was because she wasn't drawing enough breath because it was too painful.
We looooved Postum growing up. I believe we also had the same jar growing up, but I made it nonetheless. I thought it had been gone for a few years now though? I'll keep my eye out for you.
I think that my dad drank Postum just so we wouldn't ask if we could have a sip, and I remember being really surprised that it was served in the MTC. Me? I drink licorice tea. The kids don't ask me for a sip either. I bet that if any town has stores with old jars on the shelf it's good old Pocatello. We'll look at WinCo.
Sorry to hear about another case of pneumonia. Hope your boy is better soon.
Good grief! The fact that you are all sharing the same disease must mean you are a super close, super tight knit family...right? Sharing the love? He will be added immediately to the Carr family prayer list!
I have never been a Postum drinker. Not ever. Couldn't stand the stuff when I was young (never could understand why that jar was on the shelf...)and haven't been able to tolerate it as an adult. But I can feel your pain because if they EVER took my beloved Stephens hot chocolate away...I can't even contemplate a world without it!
E-gads! Poor baby...poor family!
I hope everyone gets healthy soon. Oh, and also that we can find you some Postum.
Poor little Oscar. I guess it's making the rounds, so unfortunate.
My parents used to get Postum too. I never started drinking it really but now that you mention the mock-latte I think it sounds yummy. It's always sad when something we love disappears forever.
This is CRAZY talk! I was devastated when I couldn't find Pero anymore.. (is that still out there?) I knew Postum was hard to find.. but discontinued? Blasphemy. Wouldn't you think Utah would at least keep it? It's the only thing we have to drink that we can add sugar and milk to and feel sophisticated and educated! I'm seriously going to Maceys within the hour to check. I have a precious 1/2 jar left that if I was a better cousin.. would send you. I'll keep ya posted.
(And so sorry about the boy! BHH.)
Just take some grains (wheat, oats, barley, etc.) grind them up, burn them, then drink the char that is left-- and that is the same thing as Postum. I actually like Postum- they are really getting rid of it? Why??!? Now that you told about the hot-chocolate/Postum mix I want to try it, I now I CAN'T?!?
Man-- you guys have been walloped with the pneumonia-- I hope the little guy feels better soon:)
So Sorry about Oscar. We missed him at preschool this week.
When first married I tried to get my dear husband to officially join my family and enjoy a hot cup of Joe, I mean Barley but he would have nothing to do with it. I've wondered if that stuff was still around. Now I know. Thanks.
Try Pero. You'll like it.
Get well soon, Oscar! That is such a bummer.
I love your cottage pictures, lumberjackers, and running shots. So sad for all you sickies. BYH Oscar!
Collapsed lung? Yikes! I would be awake all night watching him too. Definitely sending prayers your way. And I remember you liking Postum. We had it on our shelf forever too but no one ever drank it at my house. I think Mema and Papa must have liked it.
Actually, I have a jar of Postum in my cupboard. It very well may be that same jar from your childhood. I may keep it as an investment.
Oh I am a bad bad Aunt. How could I have not read for so long and known that my poor nephew had a partially collapsed lung?! I am ashamed. Poor poor baby. I hope that he is better now.
I feel wrong talking about Postum at a time like this but, Postum and Hot Chocolate? I say a resounding YES!
Poor, poor Oscar. BHH
I wrote to Kraft foods and complained about the shutting down of the Postum. I got back a very impersonal e-mail. Sad.
Post a Comment