Thursday, August 06, 2009

Follow-Through

2 hours, 2 bags of garbage, and 2 loads of laundry later...

Look! There is carpet under there!I also found 3 dozen pens and pencils, 9 pairs of scissors, 6 of (MY) lip glosses/lip sticks, 2 love notes, 23 hair elastics, 2 combs, and $1.71 in small change.And my response to every shreek that periodically escapes from her room each time she discovers something else that is missing?:

"You had your chance to clean it YOUR way for 2 months."

But you know what? I saw her trying to suppress a smile when she first saw her new, clean room.

12 comments:

Alisa said...

Love it! I don't feel so bad knowing that my Brooklyn is not the only one with a messy room. I can't keep up with it. We have recently moved and guess what? I moved all the crap with us. No time to go through it all. So, I have threatened her that if I see it where it's not supposed to be, it's getting thrown away. I threw away two tiny little toys/gadgets last week. She balled! It's hard to practice tough love, especially when you hear her wailing, "Mom, those were so special. They came from one of my friends that we won't see any more 'cuz we MOVED!" Yikes! But, at least her room was two toys cleaner.

ped crossing said...

Very impressive! Do you think she learned anything? I need to apply some tough love with the boys and their toys.

Emily said...

Wow to the before and wow to the after!

Emma Jo said...

You have just made my whole day...honestly, nothing makes me happier than before and after pictures, a tidy space, and a mother being a hard a&# to get results. Lovely, soo lovely.

Abby said...

Nice...where were you two weeks ago when I did my horrendous closet? It is lovely and I hope it was like Christmas for you to get all sorts of scissors and lipsticks and hey, small change spends too! I bet you could pay for her wedding after quite a few years of "cleaning" her room.

Kelly(M&M) said...

You did it! That's awesome, and I am sure she secretly loves it. So, now can you do mine? :-) You are an amazing cleaner! Hopefully it will stay that way for a little while.

Jen -n- Jase & kids said...

My husband grew up with "black bag day" ... the black trash bags hold more...LOL. So we've carried on the tradition -- Good On Ya for taking control! Much as I love my kids, they've got to learn somehow that there are acceptable/and UNacceptable limits to what amount of clutter can be lived with. With all of our moves, we bought each of the kids their own footlocker. If there is something of importance to them, they will take care of it. If things are not put away on a shelf, in a drawer (that closes easily!) or in their trunk, then it wasn't important enough to keep.
So, Waverly gets to enjoy a clean room, and I'm impressed you only used 2 trash bags. MUCH nicer Mom then I am. We have an "ITS" box (It's Too Small) and give away box, told we should call it a blessing basket - to bless others lives that have less then you do. I hate to part with books or toys I know COULD be well appreciated...but if they ARE NOT appreciating it...into the box they go. (clothes included)

Again...Good On Ya Momma!

Mary Monster Mary said...

Wow, that's amazing! Way to go!

Lucky Mommy said...

Good for you! I'm sure she actually likes having a nice, clean, pretty room. I'm so impressed that you actually did it! You must be exhausted! Give yourself a pat on the back, put on some of that rediscovered lip gloss and rest!

Cindy S. said...

Wow! That looks really good Sara! How's your room looking?lol, I've been doing allot of cleaning too. After its all done. I feel great! I feel good coming home now....anyway Wave's room looks really nice.

Jen said...

wow. can you come do this to miranda's room? looks great. ready for the school year.

mo said...

Remember the time I finally cleaned your bathroom for you cuz you wouldn't? It IS very satisfying, I must say. Looks loverly!