Thursday, August 27, 2009

Middle School

I took Waverly to Middle School Registration Night this evening.

We stood in a line marked "F - K" in a musty gymnasium.

I tried to remember my first day of middle school. We moved to New Jersey the summer after my 6th grade year and I became a CTS Eagle. Cheerleader and all. It was really great. Really. So why did I stand there in line, looking at my way-too-pretty-for-her-own-good daughter and rack my brain for an alternative? "This can't be happening." "If I were starting middle school all over again I would want to die." "How can she be excited about this?!"

We received her schedule and locker assignment. Lockers. Ugh. She has band first period. Is that bad? She has the same male teacher for periods 2, 3 and 5. Is that bad? Her homeroom is in a hallway that looks like a dungeon. That can't be good. I opened her locker with the assigned combination lock. She tried again and again without success. "We'll come back tomorrow and practice, " I said.

I don't want to go back.

Ever.

And I don't want her to either.

Is it too late to homeschool? Will I have to learn Algebra to be able to do that? (The new baby coming in January won't be a problem with this plan, right?)

School starts September 8.

She can't wait.

I could wait forever.

But my little girl isn't so little anymore.

13 comments:

Lucky Mommy said...

Wow. I remember being excited about a fresh start in Jr. High, but I can't imagine having a child start these days.

Amy Lynn said...

Oh, middle school. I cannot believe that delicious baby is all grown up and ready to start middle school. She will do great. You will fret and worry and then you will do great. It just takes moms a little longer than middle schoolers...and homeschooling is NOT an option! :>)

Rynell said...

When I face stuff like this with my oldest, I have to tell myself (over and over again) this is about her, not me. And then I try to smile and be supportive. Key word: try.

Good luck! And don't home school.

Oscarson Photography said...

It's all part of the experience. I don't know how I would feel about the same teacher three periods a day though...

Emma Jo said...

For reals, middle school is when my world caved in and I was socially and emotionally inept...how 'come all these kids nowadays get to skip that awkward stage? It's not fair. But W is awesome and I guess she just can't help that.
Now, this is the part where I start obsessively asking to see pictures of you pregnant and stuff. So, whatcha got?

Abby said...

Scares the bejeebies outa me!

Jen said...

yikes. i'm not looking forward to that milestone for my kids. i wouldn't want to do middle school again either. but same teacher for 3 periods will be good -- less chance of getting lost in the halls.

Mary Monster Mary said...

Oh how many times I've toyed with the idea of homeschooling. I reserve the right to start at any point but am the kind of person who needs much poking and proding and fear for my child's education. I know I could do it. I really believe that, but I'm not ready and my kid isn't in middle school yet. It scares the heck out of me. I've no doubts that you'll both survive every up and down the will ensue. It's crazy how they actually grow up eh?

Thunell Family said...

I'm getting nervous. Annie won't be starting for two more years. You're going to have to cook up some pointers for me in the future. In the meantime, I'll be praying for you...

mo said...

Take a deep breath and slowly exhale. Now repeat twice more. You can do this. She will be fine. You will be fine. You do not want to home school. This kid can handle anything and so can you. Be brave and trust your parenting.

Julie said...

Holy smokes-- she is in middle school? Where has the time gone? The homeschool thought always crosses my mind when I have to send my kids off too (it lasts for a short short moment though!!)

What fun!

amydear said...

I am so nervous for this day! Luckily we have a good two years before it happens. I don't think I've recovered from Jr. High yet.

jenica said...

hey! i just found you through britt soucy's blog. but that moment you had right there is exactly why i homeschool. and while my kids aren't there yet, i still look back at my days of junior high as the worst years of my life. oye. it's just such an insecure time. if you have a desire to homeschool, there's no reason you can't. there are so so so so so many options out there and methods for teaching (even algebra!) that will fit into your lifestyle. i'd say to pray about it and see how you feel.

good luck!