Saturday, August 01, 2009

Summer So Far


Summer officially began in June with a little trip to Utah for my last race before baby #5. It is always so fun to do those kind of crazy adventures with Kelly... and 11 other insane(ly awesome) women.


We were in Utah for my birthday. The day started with a climb up the Ensign Peak with the family and my dad.
It was windy!
And gorgeous.

That night after my birthday party, Taylor and I went to see the new Star Trek movie. Then we loitered on Temple Square until midnight when I dropped a bit of a bomb shell on the father of my children: We're pregnant! :)Just one more and this picture will be a little more chaotic, but complete.

Is there room on that bicycle for one more, kids?Some of the funnest times for my kids have been playing with cousins while in Utah. First, staying at Amy and Chris' house and enjoying the slip 'n slide...

...Seeing the Bees play with all the cousins and Mo and Papa...
(She's just upset that the Bees didn't win.)
...Bowling with the Carrs...
...Appreciating fine art ("Balloons!!" says Alice) at the BYU Art Museum...

(This is a whole lot 'o duck sauce from a chinese restaurant, folks...)
And THEN we stayed with Chip and ML and their adorable and fun kids for a few days. Ooh, we DO love our cousins!
(Oscar discovers a ladybug in their front yard.)


And on a totally random topic... I got a new "do".




We love to see the Craigs when we visit Provo!
Upon returning home, we have spent our summer days in different ways. The kids are (finally!) in swim lessons. And some days have been so hot we've just sweat it out at home instead of braving the park or some other adventure. Waverly and Taylor were very busy with The Music Man for most of the summer, but things have slowed down a bit now that is over. Some of the most memorable times have been on our play dates organized by Nicole. A few weeks ago we all went to the Oregon Zoo.
I was so interested in taking pictures of my cute kids, I hardly took any of the animals! I think this was the only one... the rear end of an elephant... AND my cute kids.
The main attraction at the zoo for the kids was the small sculpture garden where the kids can climb all over the animals.
And there was a bird show where we saw an American Bald Eagle fly right over our heads!



We've spent a lot of time at public water parks because of the heat. Alice is always SOOO excited when she hears that Carter will be there. She adores that little guy. And so do I.
The kids have spent hours and hours on the trampoline. They are rarely on it without the sprinkler going, so it makes for a wet, fun mess. (Pants optional... if you're 2 or under.)
Henry FINALLY lost one of his top middle teeth! One down, one more to go!
As a part of being in the cast for The Music Man, Taylor and Waverly marched in our little town's biggest annual parade for "The Robin Hood Festival". Taylor juggled fire. Waverly handed out fliers.
This week our field trip with the Greens took us to the Gilbert Discovery Museum in Salem. The kids spent most of their time in the bubble room.




Oscar was mostly interested in karate chopping the bubbles.
Alice and Bryce loved the bubbles!
Their inner thespians were revealed in the Brazilian Rain Forest Theater.


Henry also spent a week at Cub Day Camp for the first time. He loved every minute and has been quoting the funny skits he learned ever since. Both of the boys have started collecting Pokemon cards and speaking in that crazy boy language that only they understand. Alice is talk, talk, talking like crazy and is constantly making us laugh... and run after her. You may have noticed the totally necessary harness she is wearing in most of the pictures. "She's a runner!" I imagine she is a lot like what my sister Carrie was like at that age, according to the stories I've heard. She is also hopelessly attached to her binki.

Many adventures so far, many more to go. As for this week,
I am getting ready for Girls Camp which starts on the 11th and trying to figure out who is going to watch the kids during that week. That calling sure has kept me busy lately, but it is nice to know that it will be over shortly. And then we'll be down to the business of getting the kids ready for school. Only 38 days until school starts!

11 comments:

Jadie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jadie said...

Congratulations, Suzie!

Emma Jo said...

Oh your summer looks delightfully fun. I especially love the adorable children, the talented and productive adults (I mean, who juggles fire?!) and your adorable haircut..and the specially monogrammed cake.

LCM said...

I am so glad you posted those pics. I have been wondering how you have been doing it all this summer. We are lucky that our school starts three weeks from tomorrow, yeah me!!

Emily said...

We loved seeing you, some of our favorite friends of all time!

lys said...

I love your summer recap. You've done a lot so far!! Too bad that we didn't get to see you when you were in UT-- looked like you were super busy, though.

Also, love the new 'do, love the pic of Taylor on Temple Square after the bomb dropped, and love Waverly's polka-dot dress and pink shoes.

Hallway Express said...

Congrats on the new one coming! Hope things slow down a bit for you, yet sounds like you're having a fun summer and creating many memories :) Is Oscar excited for kindergarten? Maya is getting ready. We are moved near Yakima now and on 5 acres and love the country setting. It reminded me of you out on the farm now. Life is good!

Lucky Mommy said...

Those pictures are so fun! First, congratulations! Second, I love your haircut. Seriously, that looks gorgeous on you. Third, you are such a fun mom! I can't believe you don't have AC up there and it's been as hot as down here. It's miserable! Hurray for water parks. The zoo pics are great and the bubble place looks amazing. Hours of fun! I like the harness but I can't imagine me holding onto two of them. I would really feel like I was walking a pack of dogs. Hope you're feeling well. Sick and hot is worse than just hot.

Amy Lynn said...

Perfect, perfect, perfect! I just wish we were there for more of the fun...I'll take one zoo, some bubbles, and a side order of water and trampoline please! Plus a whole lot of cute kids...fabulous!

mo said...

What a great summary of a really fun summer! Love your new hair-do! What great memories you are creating for your children!

JP said...

I loved the summer recap!!

I also loved that I got to see you this summer. Just sayin'. :)