Lately I've been trying to figure out just how poor my memory is. I think its pretty bad. Today I was sitting on a bench at the park watching Alice play on the playground, and Joe hang limply in a baby swing, not caring whether the swing was actually moving or not... and I had a kind of realization. I realized that it is entirely likely that I will have some kind of dementia as I grow older. Maybe it has already started? I wondered at what point would it become a problem? When would people start to point it out to me? Would they? If they did, would I remember? And then I came to peace with it. I said a quiet little prayer, "If I can't remember anything, can I at least be happy while not remembering anything?"
It isn't too much to ask, is it?
But like I was saying, it is late and I'm pretty tired...
So I'm not going to write a post.
Post Edit
It sure would be a shame to forget this kind of happiness. I guess that is why I keep this blog.


5 comments:
THAT, made me giggle.
I am glad that at least the feeling is mutual among other women of "our age". I can't remember a shocking amount of things. Your post was funny...so was the image of Baby Joe hanging limply in the swing, not moving.
I'm right with you, Sarah. Alzheimer's runs pretty strong in my family, so I'm convinced that I will have dementia sooner or later...sadly, I many days it feels like sooner!
Dad and I have decided it's not all bad. We can watch a movie we know we have seen before but since we can't remember how it ends, it's like watching a whole new movie!
Josh teases me about how my videos of the kids are all too long. I tell them I'm going to watch them all when I'm old so the longer the better. Viva the blog!
Post a Comment