I went looking for a new skirt because the one that is my go-to just about every Sunday for church is - wait for it - a maternity skirt. I'm talking a full-on, panel-at-the-top with an-elastic waistband---maternity skirt. "How long ago did she say that baby was born?!" That's right. It's been a year and I keep foolishly assuming my old clothes will fit any day now. I guess I'm not a spring chick anymore, and I'm going to have to put in some good, old-fashioned effort. I do exercise. Mostly regularly. But I eat whatever I please, and my shopping trip yesterday confirmed to me that I will have to make a bigger effort if I ever want to fit into my old jeans. (Which I am told are no long in style. Hmmm. )
No luck finding a skirt, but I did purchase my first ever pair of "skinny jeans". Does anyone else find it ironic that I bought my very first pair of "skinny jeans" at a time when I am the least skinny I have ever been? My oh-so-fashionable sister, Carrie Ann, is very proud of me. I am not sure what to think of them. I like the look of them (on me) from the knee down. Not so much the other direction. And as for the skirt. Does anyone even sell skirts any more? I went to TJ Maxx and Old Navy and neither of them had anything that came even close to my knees.
I have come a long way since my last post on this topic. Part of the reason why I have come to be my heaviest is that I have made a conscious choice to be kind to myself when it comes to my shape and size. I don't want others to look down on me, so I have refused to let myself either. However, it is time for a little restraint. I have had none - truly none - since the baby was born. I love to eat delicious things, and I happen to be married to someone who makes nothing but delicious things. I love sugar, but I overdo it. I tend to eat until I am very, very full. It isn't just a size and shape thing. It is a "Do I want to be healthy?" thing. There are a lot of small changes I can make that will (hopefully) make a change for the better. Besides my size, I'm sure going easy on the sugar will help my recent mood swings take a hike, too.
I have allowed myself to not worry about taking off the baby weight until the day I was done nursing. Well, today is that day. No excuses. Just a healthier future with more clothes options in sight. I've even created a great incentive for myself. I have planned a solo trip to Utah to visit my family in April. I have promised myself that if I stick to a healthier eating plan (very little sugar and smaller portions, more water and no diet sodas) then I will buy some clothes for myself while I am there. I'm not even setting a weight goal. I just want to feel a little less encumbered. And I want to be proud of myself for taking care of my body by really watching what is going into it. (Kelly, have you picked yourself up off the floor from the shock yet?) :)
My sister Carrie is the perfect person to take me shopping. I feel kind of like an idiot trying to figure out not only what looks decent on me, but what is age appropriate and somewhat fashionable. Seriously. Without fail, I get compliments on outfits I wear that are Carrie's hand-me-downs. She's good, people. Oh, that she would blog about fashion as she used to. (Ironically that link is all about jeans, circa 2005. There wasn't a word about skinny jeans. I need an update to that post, please, Carrie.) I know just enough to not wear these, but just barely. She is my life-line to what is "hip". Did saying "hip" just now confirm my un-hip-ness? Probably. Help me, Carrie!
So that's the plan, folks. Less sugar. Smaller portions. More water. No diet sodas. Continue to exercise. World peace.
Peace out.
13 comments:
I think you look great, but I know how you feel. You'll do great! :)
I'm trying one day at a time to not consume vast amounts of sugar. I'm wishing you luck, I know I need it!
Oh and I did a really funny belly dancing work out video. Cause I don't have the exercise part down yet.
Thanks for this post. . .it's exactly what I've been feeling lately (except my baby was born 2 1/2 years). My new mantra (much like your K.R.E! is "joy in the journey" I just have to say it about 100 times sometimes before I feel it). We all need to be more kind to ourselves. :) Also, JC Penney for skirts, and sometimes great deals too.
Carrie is a miracle worker...she helped me overhaul my closet last year and also helped me purchase new jeans (skinny ones included...they still just look like ugly tapered jeans to me but I wear them because I am know I am supposed to for some reason.) You are beautiful and for heaven's sake, you look amazing and lovely, always. But your goals are good ones nonetheless so I support you!
PS I hate shopping by myself without a Carrie to tell me "yes" or "no".
Good for you. Small portions are good. Sugar is bad. Self control is good. Sisters with good fashion sense are one in a million. I think you look great but I support your decision to be moderate and smart! Now go drink a big glass of water! I can't wait for the fashion show.
Carrie needs to write more posts about fashion! Here here! I've made some progress and have absolute no idea how to dress anymore.
I wish you the best. You can do this.
Your perspective on body image helped me more than you could know. Of course I support your resolve to eat healthier, but I LOVE that you said eat LESS sugar, not ZERO sugar! Moderation and you are still allowed to enjoy your food! I think you look fantastic (you looked great directing choir today!, by the way. I need a Carrie too. Do you think if we are in Utah at the same time that I can join in your shopping and she can help dress me too? I love your honest posts, and yes this one took me by surprise!
I bought my first pair of skinny jeans last year and I think I am finally getting used to wearing them.
That's great to be so healthy! You are seriously so beautiful already though!
Thank you for that link to pajama jeans. I haven't heard of them and just laughed so hard watching their sales video! Can you by things for me too when you're with Carrie? I dress like a 50 year old from the 90's, or so I am told ;) My pants are all boot cut. I think the big change to skinny happened last year when we were prego and not in the market for such things. Our RS is having a group effort to do just what you are setting out to do - be healthy so we can be happy and use these God-given bodies to their potential. You go girl!
Seriously, stores hardly sell skirts at all anymore, and definitely not below-the-knee. It's crazy! I have a couple maternity skirts that I still wear--I just tightened up the elastic a bit--because they're long enough and I can't find a replacement anyway. (Still wear: as in when I'm not pregnant.)
Are you sure about skinny jeans? I dont like the look on any one!.....Well I'm not fashionable either.....S
I have seriously thrown out my scale and am trying to really focus on how I feel...energy, health, able to do the things I want/need to do. I will probably never look good in skinny jeans but I ride my pink Schwinn bike with the best of them! Loved this post...thanks for the inspiration.
Post a Comment