Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Post #763

Alice "accidentally" downloaded a new game for our PS3.  It is called "Fat Princess".  There are two teams, each with a princess.  It is kind of like "Capture the Flag", except you're trying to get your own princess back who the other team has in their dungeon.  Both teams feed the captive princesses as much as possible to make them fat (sorry, Kelly) so they are more difficult to carry home and be rescued.  Video games are so weird. But the premise of this one makes me chuckle.  Was it worth the $14.95 she accidentally spent on it?  Or the $4.95 expansion pack she bought for it last week?  (I took it out of her birthday money.)  I should be scolded for leaving my 4 year old unattended with a gaming unit.  What else is she supposed to do while I take a shower? Or a nap? To be honest, I'm impressed she figured out how to purchase the game at all.  Yes, let's say I'm proud of her.  And she actually knows how to beat the game. I'm super proud.


In other news:

Taylor has secured an apartment in Irvine.  He will be living there until we all join him towards the end of June when school gets out.  It has two bedrooms and a loft.  The boys will sleep in the loft.  We do lofts like pros. Lot's of practice.  The super fancy part is that the kitchen has a stove (gas!) AND an oven!  And (drum roll please).... ... ... this apartment has TWO BATHROOMS!

Cue the music: "Movin' on up!..."

Everyone keeps asking me if I've started packing yet.  And I just keep thinking, "If I won't need it for the next two months... it is NOT making the move."  I am so excited to get rid of stuff.  But I have to admit, I have started packing one thing: Taylor's clothes. They are all packed up in boxes and ready to go.  With our limited storage space in our bedroom, and him not actually living here 80% of the time... well, practicality won out.  Sorry, honey-bunches.  :)

Oscar just walked in the door from school and announced, "That was the worst _ field trip _ ever."  Apparently the wildlife refuge only had animal skins on display and not actual animals. He wasn't very impressed.  He is testing for his orange belt in tae-kwon-do this weekend. He is so excited, and I am so proud of him. He is doing an excellent job.  And he's been getting better at home at controlling his anger... most of the time.  Unless someone eats that last of the Apple Jacks.... then WATCH OUT!  Baby steps, people.

Our gravel drive is about 1/3 mile long and really bumpy these days.  Oscar was trying to eat a bowl of cream of wheat on the way to school the other day.  You can just imagine what happened when our minivan with no shocks hit an especially big pothole on the drive.  Serenity now!

We're working on not saying naughty words in our house... Words like "stupid", "dummy", "idiot".  I washed Alice's mouth out with soap yesterday.  She didn't really care. It takes a lot to phase her.  Heaven help me.

Easter was nice.  Too much candy.  I hate that the kids expect so much candy at every holiday.  We loved having dinner and an indoor egg hunt with the Greens.









It has become quite a tradition to spend holidays and birthdays with the Greens, and it was heartbreaking to know this will be our last one together.  Moving is so hard.  I have a lot of thoughts about that... mostly thoughts that I am pushing to the back of my brain to try to not think about.  A lot of familiar emotions - and not very good ones at that - are creeping back.  I moved a lot growing up.  I know what it is like to leave people and not ever have the same kind of relationship again.  I despise it.  It isn't the natural way of things, at least in my mind.  I am, of course, so grateful for the relationships I have.  But when you move away things are different and never the same again.  In my most despondent moments it makes me think, "What's the point?"  It makes me question future potential relationships and how attached I will let myself get. This is why I wanted to make Sherwood my hometown forever.  It makes me grateful for families, and especially that families can be together forever.

I hope friends will be together forever, too.

The coyotes got the last of our chickens.  I don't know what happened that made the coyotes suddenly so bold as to attack all of our hens after they have been around for 2 years.  Their pen looks so lonely and empty.  And now what am I supposed to do with all of my food scraps?  Maybe its God's way of making it a little easier for us to move.  We won't be leaving any chickens behind now.

Can chickens be with us forever, too?




5 comments:

Lucky Mommy said...

I want that cake the Fat Princess has. That is the funniest game I've heard of, granted I've heard of about 4 games total. The Green's have our same couch and kitchen table from what I can tell in the pictures. Now I feel like you spent Easter with us! Moving is so hard. And the longer you've lived there, the harder it is. I am praying you'll have some great friends waiting for you in TX and that the summer will somehow go quickly - maybe the stove and oven will help!

Emma Jo said...

I sure hope chickens won't be with us forever. That is not an appealing thought. Hazel went through a phase once where she purchased several things on my cell phone. Fat Princess sounds kinda fun.
I love all your recaps but feel for you on the moving part. It is so good and so uncomfortable and sad and so exciting all at the same time.

mo said...

Really? Alice knows how to purchase games for your phone? I'm not sure I could do that. I KNOW I couldn't. I truly do relate to your comments about moving. I have made a few with you. That last move to Texas was particularly hard and I remember feeling "what's the point of making friends here? It's just too painful to say goodbye in a few years." Thank heavens I didn't follow through with that thought. My Texas friends are among my best. I know it's not the same after moving but I am grateful for all the people I met in each place we life. They each contributed to my life in some way. There are alway some really good advantages that come along with the disadvantages. I promise. I am loving that you will have three bedrooms and a REAL kitchen! It will seem so luxurioius to you! Tell Oscar congrats on the orange belt! Wish I could help you pack up!

Cindy S. said...

I hope you guys stay in touch. Im still hoping I can fly out see you guys before the big move.

Im actually excited for you guys, Just post alot of pictures!

Amy Lynn said...

I am laughing so hard at the Fat Princess game...go Alice. And that walk down memory lane was so sweet! I remember Waverly and Henry at that age so, so well! Life goes way too fast and you are WAY too far away.

Hooray for 2 bathrooms!!!!