Ever since we moved I've been thinking about my "dream house", and especially my "dream kitchen". I've decided. THIS is what I want.
Every new house in this area has dark wood cabinets and brown speckled granite counter tops. They are lovely. But they are not "me".
I am my mother's daughter.
I want white cabinets.
And black granite counters. (Here is where Mo and I might diverge. She always had white. No. I take that back. Her last house had black granite!)
And black and white checkered floors.
And white subway tiles for the backsplash.
Throw in those drawer pulls from that last picture, too.
The End
I felt very validated as I came across this website about white cabinetry:
- The use of white kitchen cabinets is striking since it creates a timeless style that can stay in vogue for many years. While most other styles and colors used in kitchen cabinetry may be obsolete, this is one color that is bound to stay for a long time.
- The overall feel is a very clean look that is also sleek and elegant – most people want their kitchens to look like this.
- White kitchen cabinets have been around for a long time – at least 20 years – and there is no sign that this style will become obsolete. In fact, you have so many options to choose from in terms of modifying your color themes in your kitchen from window treatments, countertop accessories and place mats that white kitchen cupboards are more likely to stay than disappear.This is what I've been saying all along! I thought I was the only one (besides my mother and sisters) who felt this way. Thank you, internet, for your validation.Now I just need to find a builder who is flexible. And who accepts payment in chocolate chip cookies.


8 comments:
I'm with you. That brown countertop and cabinets are going to look dated in a real big hurry. White cabinets and black counters will never go out of style. And you're right, the parts of it that will wax and wane, like the pulls and accessories, are easy and cheap to update.
Validation!
'sigh' as the perpetual renter (thanks for nothin Navy) I feel the same. Although I think this year I have finally given up the allusion of my "dream house" because I'm pretty sure that even if it existed, I wouldn't be able to afford it. That kitchen is truly lovely and just up my alley (apparently cut from that same mold that you were.)
Ooh! Maybe some day we could have the samish kitchen and I would call you and ask "do you have a scrolly napkin holder" and you would say "yes" and then you would ask "do you have an awesome topiary by the sink and I would say "yes" and then we would keep going because that's what former roomies do (that and eat each other's prized possessions of course.)
I have white cabinets and sometimes wish I didn't. Too many sticky little fingers and spills and constant cleaning. But I do love the way they look.
Ahhh, the lure of a white kitchen. I want one so bad I can TASTE it. You should see my pinterest--chock full of white kitchens. This one is my favorite, with the subtle blues: http://pinterest.com/pin/87237917/
My mom just re-did her countertops and got GREENISH granite. It's awful! But it was a good price. I kept telling her to wait until the guy had white available but she just wanted it done. Not me. When I finally have the chance to choose, I'm getting WHITE.
Yes, yes, and yes. That is exactly the kitchen I would take if I ever had the choice again. I have loved my kitchens with white cabinets! I love that floor, too! We have excellent taste, don't we?
I'll take one please. Love, love, love...except I would have a red back splash instead of white because I'm a little crazy that way. But I LOVE it! Now I'm going to go pull the Nutella out of my cupboard, sit on the floor and stare at my kitchen cabinets. And dream a little. Love it!
One of the joys of Texas? All of those model homes to walk through. Have you done that yet? We found one here that I was ready to kick everyone out and claim the model as ours...
I love white kitchens. LOVE them.
Post a Comment