Today is Oscar's 8th birthday!
(And this cake just may be my culinary masterpiece.)
We "woke him up" as per family tradition, even though he had been up and insanely excited for over an hour. It was early.
Here he is hugging his first gift: "Apple Zings". He gets THAT excited about his own bag of sugar cereal. Doesn't even care that it is generic. Ya gotta love 8-year-old boys. He also got a new bike. So I'm not a totally lame parent after all. Where is that picture??
He's 8! That means he is a cub scout now! He is THIS excited about a shirt and belt. And candy. I love him.
Dad took him to IHOP for breakfast. Then they went and played his favorite sport: tennis!
Oscar's baptism will be September 24, and we're all excited and looking forward to that. Being in a new place, we are going to miss having friends and family with us for the occasion.
Number 8 really is lucky around here today: This just so happens to be my 800th post! WOW!
Post Edit:
During the birthday dinner we have a tradition of telling all about the day the birthday child was born. Then everyone says one thing they love about the birthday boy/girl. Tonight Alice said, "I like Oscar because he plays with me. He is fun."
I love Oscar because he loves a good laugh. He is very funny and loves to make other people laugh.
When we were all done, he said, "I want to say something about my family now that you've all said something you like about me. I love my family because you make me feel safe and not alone."
***Jaw-dropping-mom-PAYDAY***
Are we doing something right after all?




13 comments:
Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday!
I typed that 8 times and now it is my bedtime. That was lucky! Happy day, Oscar! You are a special young man!
Happy BDay to Oscar! I wish we lived closer and could come to the baptism :( I think we will adopt your tradition of saying what we love about the birthday boy/girl- great idea!
I would say you are doing five things right!
Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Birthday
Oscar!!!!!!!!
Nailed it Oscar. That is exactly what families are for. Happy Birthday. Eight is an awesome age to be.
That cake is amazing!!
Your post edit wins a prize for making me cry immediately upon reading...seriously. I love Oscar so dearly!
and your new picture banner thingy is perfection! truly. love it.
Love Oscar and love this post- especially the post edit! You deserve that Mom Payday. Love you!! Happy Birthday Oscar!
I live for those "payday" mom moments that really only happen about every 3-4 years! That was an AWESOME one!
I love Oscar because he is kind and thoughtful...because he gives the BEST big hugs...because he has those big melty eyes and a smile that makes me want to give him a pony and cotton candy and anything else he wants.
Happy Birthday my sweet wonderful Oscar! I'm so, so glad you were born!
Oh chills and happy Mommy moments. 8? Seriously, what has happened to us Oscarson family? We have children that are 8?! (and then some...)
Sweet sweet boy. I LOVE that he has the exact same happy expression opening all his presents. Oh, if we were only there to come to his baptism. I hope you can find enough water to fill the font!
PS I LOVe that he is wearing his triathlon shirt. :-)
Speaking of triathlon shirt. That is what I should be doing.
How could I fail to mention that the birthday cake is sheer artistry! Way to go!
Oh how I hate missing these milestone events! Take lots of pics!
That is a great birthday, complete with a present for YOU with that comment after dinner. Happy Birthday Oscar!
Oh, I love that.
Happy (belated) birthday!! :)
Post a Comment